‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sequel, 29 May 2011
I have anticipated this book since the moment i put down raised by wolves and was not too dissapointed with this one.
I got a bit annoyed with the ammount of times Bryn mentioned that she was ressiliant, yes everyone knows that already. I feel i bit ashamed to say it but im actually getting to like the charecter of Shay although he is supposed to be the bad guy of the story.
I thought the way the author took the story was fine but i was dissapointed by the lack on Bryn-Chaseness in it, as well as the lack of hardly anymore information on Chase and a charecter or his human like apart from the fact that he rarely talks to anyone.
The introduction of new kind of magical creatures was ok although the way it worked appeared to me to be a little too much like other books ive read.
Overall it was a ok sequal not bad but not great either.

4.0 out of 5 stars fab sequel, 12 Jun. 2011
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Trial by Fire is a welcome return to a fab werewolf series which I really enjoy.

Things have changed for Bryn. She is now Alpha of her own pack and is in the unique position of being both a female and human alpha which from the outset leaves her in a somewhat vulnerable position but also one she takes in her stride.

The best part of this book for me is Bryn. She is up against all the odds but always keeps it calm and thinks around the problems in front of her with a cool head ensuring that whatever step she takes is the best one for her uniquely female heavy pack. I loved how this book really gave Bryn a chance to shine while not ignoring that vulnerable edge that Bryn has that wants to help people and do what is best.

The majority of this book revolves about the problem of Lucas, a wolf who has turned up on Bryn's doorstep with the claim that he is being abused by his own pack and the plea that he wants to join Bryn's pack. I liked how the story line evolved as the book went on and the insight you got into werewold politics especially when Bryn comes face to face with the other pack's alpha Shay.

The book also had a new dimension added to it in that you are introduced to a coven who pose another problem for Bryn. They appear to have made some kind of deal with Shay's pack and are out to get Bryn. It was a really interesting way to add a bit of a paranormal dimension to the story and give the series its own unique twist.

I won't say much about the storyline and where it goes as such because I don't want to spoil anything. All I can say is it is as action packed as the first book and there are some brilliant twists to the story several of which I genuinely didn't see coming.

all in all a fantastic second instalment of the raised by wolves series. I can't wait to see what book three has to offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sequel!, 19 Nov. 2011
I don't know what it is about the raised by wolves series but I love it, loved the first book and loved this one. The characters are relatable, the plot complex enough for you to struggle to guess whats going to happen. Easy reading, pulls you into the story and makes it impossible to put down, my only criticism is the Bryn / Chase relationship, there isn't much of the book dedicated to them as a couple, and I would like to see a bit more, but its a tiny thing and I love that the story is not lost in the usual undying love stuff. Really cant wait for the third installment out next year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trial By Fire, 6 Aug. 2011
The wolf pack is back...with even more bite than before!

I'm very new to this awesome series by Jennifer Lynn Barnes but already I've been sucked into her werewolf universe. If you like your books packed full of action and you're a fan of the paranormal genre then this is a series that you need to pick up. I really enjoyed the first book `Raised By Wolves' but Barnes has topped herself with `Trial By Fire' which swiftly sucked me back into Bryn and her wolf pack's world.

Bryn is now the alpha of her own pack. A situation complicated by the fact that she isn't actually a werewolf - she's human. This means that the traditional rules don't always apply to her and when she's confronted by a threat to her pack, she has to figure out how to keep them safe without threatening the other alphas' authority. What makes her situation even more unique is that she's also female and this causes a whole new set of problems. I enjoyed seeing how Bryn coped with this and how she balances being a democratic leader with sometimes having to exercise authority over the other werewolves in her charge.

I loved the fact that the story got off to a bang from the word go and there wasn't a long prelude leading into the main plot. Sometimes several chapters are devoted to reminding you about everything that's gone on before when most of the time I'd rather just get on with the story. I was therefore pleased that the plot moved along swiftly from the very beginning.

Barnes has written some fabulous characters who can all be distinguished by wonderfully individual and unique personalities. There's life-long friend Devon, who is dealing with brother issues, loyal sidekick and female Were Lake who isn't afraid to point a shotgun at someone if the situation arises, rescued Maddy who is adjusting to life as part of the pack, mother-figure Ali and her two twins and a whole host more of fantastic secondary characters. Of course, Bryn is one of my favourites as I love books which have a strong, feisty, no-nonsense female heroine. She ticks all the boxes for me in the way in which she won't back down from a fight and she'll do anything to protect the people around her. This is sometimes made harder for her by the fact that she's human and doesn't possess the same physical strength as other Weres. However, she's intelligent, quick-witted and clever and this stands her in good stead for fighting off threats to the pack.

As well as finding out more about the dynamics of the wolf world, I also enjoyed the inclusion of a psychic coven that not only cause problems for Bryn but also lead to a secret being revealed about someone close to Bryn. This added an interesting angle to the plot and is something that I'd like to hear more about in the future.

'Trial By Fire' has it all and is a welcome return to a superb series that keeps getting better all the time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book review, 16 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Trial by Fire: A Raised by Wolves novel (Kindle Edition)
This brilliant thrilling and adventure book is amazing although the first one is better than this one.This one still good

5.0 out of 5 stars A successful Trilogy!, 21 Oct. 2013
This second book flies by quickly as you read through it at a fast pace to get to the final book. Amazing story, amazing description of the characters abilities and struggles with her new responsibilities and developments. Please make this a Movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 5 July 2013
This review is from: Trial by Fire: A Raised by Wolves novel (Kindle Edition)
This book is amazing!!! Defo a must read for 12+, I rlly enjoyed this book and I can't wait to read the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Famtastic, bring on more!, 1 May 2013
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
I loved book one, Raised by Wolves, a massive amount. But as it took me the better part of 3 years to then pick up this one (why, I've still no real idea) I wondered how easy I'd find it to remember what had happened, and how I'd get on with the characters now. I shouldn't have worried. Trial by Fire had me hooked from the start, I barely put it down.

Jennifer has done a great job of giving enough reminders of book 1, without breaking the forward momentem of Trial. I found Bryn just as captivating as before, along with her great friends Lake and Devon (who I adore) and I remembered exactly why I fell in love with Raised by Wolves in the first place.

Trial by Fire is full of new twists, laughs, heartbreak and Bryn's continued growth and discovery of what it means to be Alpha now. I love when a book can shock me, make me cry, and laugh out loud, and Trial by Fire meets all of these. When it can make me go from one to the next in the space of paragraphs, you know you're reading something to remember. This continues to be one of my all time favourite werewolf series, and I am a huge werewolf fan! I can't wait to pick up the final book and see just where Bryn will go from here!

4.0 out of 5 stars Raised by Wolves Trilogy - A good read, 14 April 2013
Enjoyed the whole series, it was a good read, I would definitely recommend reading these if you like werewolves etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sequel, 12 Nov. 2012
It had been a long time since I read the first book in this series. It had been so long since I had read it that I could even really remember what had happened. Before reading this one, I had to go back and re-read my review of Raised By Wolves just so I wouldn't feel completely lost.

However, once I started reading Trial by Fire, the whole story came flooding back. Although Jennifer Lynn Barnes does not do a re-cap of the previous book, there are little hints and mentions about things that had happened previously throughout the book. Bryn is now the alpha of the Cedar Ridge Pack and is just finding her feet. After saving Chase and bringing him into the pack, Bryn now has to go back to dealing with normal life. She and her pack friends still have to go to high school and act like everything is normal.

Things quickly change from being normal though. One day, a wolf named Lucas turns up on Bryn's doorstep claiming that his own pack is mistreating him and begs to be let into the Cedar Ridge Pack instead of his own. Bryn knows that pack laws say that Lucas' alpha needs to give up his claim on him before he can transfer packs but knowing that the alpha in question is Shay, she knows this is not going to happen. Lucas also isn't everything that he seems to be either though and brings some really big trouble to Bryn and her friends.

I really enjoyed the addition of Lucas into this story as it opened up many different things in this book. Not only does Lucas' appearance give a lot of depth into the politics of werewolf packs but it also brought in a coven who cause a lot of problems. The coven was by far the best addition to this book as it was something so different to werewolves. I really enjoyed learning about the coven, who they were and what they could do. They were an exciting part of this book and I loved the whole plot that surrounded them.

Trial By Fire also gives us a chance to get to know Bryn better. There is plenty going on around her which makes her react in different ways. It was also interesting to see how differently Bryn acted around different members of her pack. Although they all have a bond and are connected together, she did act differently, more closely to some members than she did with others. I could understand why though as the pack members all differ in age so Bryn was bound to be closer to some than others. My only real negative about Trial By Fire was the lack of time that Bryn and Chase got together. While it was nice to see a book that wasn't fuelled only by the romance between characters, a little more of it would have been nice.

I really enjoyed Trial By Fire and now can't wait to read the next book in the series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›