Trial by Fire is a welcome return to a fab werewolf series which I really enjoy.

Things have changed for Bryn. She is now Alpha of her own pack and is in the unique position of being both a female and human alpha which from the outset leaves her in a somewhat vulnerable position but also one she takes in her stride.

The best part of this book for me is Bryn. She is up against all the odds but always keeps it calm and thinks around the problems in front of her with a cool head ensuring that whatever step she takes is the best one for her uniquely female heavy pack. I loved how this book really gave Bryn a chance to shine while not ignoring that vulnerable edge that Bryn has that wants to help people and do what is best.

The majority of this book revolves about the problem of Lucas, a wolf who has turned up on Bryn's doorstep with the claim that he is being abused by his own pack and the plea that he wants to join Bryn's pack. I liked how the story line evolved as the book went on and the insight you got into werewold politics especially when Bryn comes face to face with the other pack's alpha Shay.

The book also had a new dimension added to it in that you are introduced to a coven who pose another problem for Bryn. They appear to have made some kind of deal with Shay's pack and are out to get Bryn. It was a really interesting way to add a bit of a paranormal dimension to the story and give the series its own unique twist.

I won't say much about the storyline and where it goes as such because I don't want to spoil anything. All I can say is it is as action packed as the first book and there are some brilliant twists to the story several of which I genuinely didn't see coming.

all in all a fantastic second instalment of the raised by wolves series. I can't wait to see what book three has to offer.
on 29 May 2011
I have anticipated this book since the moment i put down raised by wolves and was not too dissapointed with this one.
I got a bit annoyed with the ammount of times Bryn mentioned that she was ressiliant, yes everyone knows that already. I feel i bit ashamed to say it but im actually getting to like the charecter of Shay although he is supposed to be the bad guy of the story.
I thought the way the author took the story was fine but i was dissapointed by the lack on Bryn-Chaseness in it, as well as the lack of hardly anymore information on Chase and a charecter or his human like apart from the fact that he rarely talks to anyone.
The introduction of new kind of magical creatures was ok although the way it worked appeared to me to be a little too much like other books ive read.
Overall it was a ok sequal not bad but not great either.
on 6 August 2011
The wolf pack is back...with even more bite than before!

I'm very new to this awesome series by Jennifer Lynn Barnes but already I've been sucked into her werewolf universe. If you like your books packed full of action and you're a fan of the paranormal genre then this is a series that you need to pick up. I really enjoyed the first book `Raised By Wolves' but Barnes has topped herself with `Trial By Fire' which swiftly sucked me back into Bryn and her wolf pack's world.

Bryn is now the alpha of her own pack. A situation complicated by the fact that she isn't actually a werewolf - she's human. This means that the traditional rules don't always apply to her and when she's confronted by a threat to her pack, she has to figure out how to keep them safe without threatening the other alphas' authority. What makes her situation even more unique is that she's also female and this causes a whole new set of problems. I enjoyed seeing how Bryn coped with this and how she balances being a democratic leader with sometimes having to exercise authority over the other werewolves in her charge.

I loved the fact that the story got off to a bang from the word go and there wasn't a long prelude leading into the main plot. Sometimes several chapters are devoted to reminding you about everything that's gone on before when most of the time I'd rather just get on with the story. I was therefore pleased that the plot moved along swiftly from the very beginning.

Barnes has written some fabulous characters who can all be distinguished by wonderfully individual and unique personalities. There's life-long friend Devon, who is dealing with brother issues, loyal sidekick and female Were Lake who isn't afraid to point a shotgun at someone if the situation arises, rescued Maddy who is adjusting to life as part of the pack, mother-figure Ali and her two twins and a whole host more of fantastic secondary characters. Of course, Bryn is one of my favourites as I love books which have a strong, feisty, no-nonsense female heroine. She ticks all the boxes for me in the way in which she won't back down from a fight and she'll do anything to protect the people around her. This is sometimes made harder for her by the fact that she's human and doesn't possess the same physical strength as other Weres. However, she's intelligent, quick-witted and clever and this stands her in good stead for fighting off threats to the pack.

As well as finding out more about the dynamics of the wolf world, I also enjoyed the inclusion of a psychic coven that not only cause problems for Bryn but also lead to a secret being revealed about someone close to Bryn. This added an interesting angle to the plot and is something that I'd like to hear more about in the future.

'Trial By Fire' has it all and is a welcome return to a superb series that keeps getting better all the time!
on 19 November 2011
I don't know what it is about the raised by wolves series but I love it, loved the first book and loved this one. The characters are relatable, the plot complex enough for you to struggle to guess whats going to happen. Easy reading, pulls you into the story and makes it impossible to put down, my only criticism is the Bryn / Chase relationship, there isn't much of the book dedicated to them as a couple, and I would like to see a bit more, but its a tiny thing and I love that the story is not lost in the usual undying love stuff. Really cant wait for the third installment out next year.
on 12 November 2012
It had been a long time since I read the first book in this series. It had been so long since I had read it that I could even really remember what had happened. Before reading this one, I had to go back and re-read my review of Raised By Wolves just so I wouldn't feel completely lost.

However, once I started reading Trial by Fire, the whole story came flooding back. Although Jennifer Lynn Barnes does not do a re-cap of the previous book, there are little hints and mentions about things that had happened previously throughout the book. Bryn is now the alpha of the Cedar Ridge Pack and is just finding her feet. After saving Chase and bringing him into the pack, Bryn now has to go back to dealing with normal life. She and her pack friends still have to go to high school and act like everything is normal.

Things quickly change from being normal though. One day, a wolf named Lucas turns up on Bryn's doorstep claiming that his own pack is mistreating him and begs to be let into the Cedar Ridge Pack instead of his own. Bryn knows that pack laws say that Lucas' alpha needs to give up his claim on him before he can transfer packs but knowing that the alpha in question is Shay, she knows this is not going to happen. Lucas also isn't everything that he seems to be either though and brings some really big trouble to Bryn and her friends.

I really enjoyed the addition of Lucas into this story as it opened up many different things in this book. Not only does Lucas' appearance give a lot of depth into the politics of werewolf packs but it also brought in a coven who cause a lot of problems. The coven was by far the best addition to this book as it was something so different to werewolves. I really enjoyed learning about the coven, who they were and what they could do. They were an exciting part of this book and I loved the whole plot that surrounded them.

Trial By Fire also gives us a chance to get to know Bryn better. There is plenty going on around her which makes her react in different ways. It was also interesting to see how differently Bryn acted around different members of her pack. Although they all have a bond and are connected together, she did act differently, more closely to some members than she did with others. I could understand why though as the pack members all differ in age so Bryn was bound to be closer to some than others. My only real negative about Trial By Fire was the lack of time that Bryn and Chase got together. While it was nice to see a book that wasn't fuelled only by the romance between characters, a little more of it would have been nice.

I really enjoyed Trial By Fire and now can't wait to read the next book in the series.
Gold Star Award Winner!

Bryn loves her new life with her pack - until a wolf enters her territory. He's badly hurt and he's asking for protection. With Shay as his Alpha, he's been used as a punching bag, until Shay gave him to a group of psychics. Bryn doesn't know what to do. She doesn't want to turn him away, but neither can she help him within the rules of the werewolves. She desperately tries to find a loophole in the rules.

Before she can figure out a solution, the psychics show up in town. A new girl starts at school, and Bryn knows she's a threat. Caroline isn't normal, she's a hunter. She can't be tracked and she never misses a target. She has the ability to take out Bryn's entire pack.

The psychics hate werewolves. Each time Bryn meets them, she learns more about them. With the psychics and Shay looking for a fight, Bryn needs to watch her back very carefully. She knows what's at stake, and she's not about to give in or give up her pack for anything.

I couldn't wait to read this book as I *loved* RAISED BY WOLVES! TRIAL BY FIRE was simply amazing. I loved the power of Bryn, and how her pack's different and how she as a human is different from the other Alphas. I love how she tries to see the loopholes in dangerous situations. I love how she doesn't ever want to play by the rules, and her sense of justice. Mostly, there isn't anything I don't love about Bryn. I love Lake, Chase, and Dev, too.

With this one, I laughed, I cried, and I had to re-read the ending twice to understand it. The ending absolutely blew me away - I'm already looking forward to the third book in the series!

Reviewed by: Jennifer Rummel
on 4 October 2012
Did I ever tell you how much I love werewolves? I do. They are my favourite paranormal creatures. Mostly because I love the idea of belonging to a pack. The idea of this extended family that's always there for you makes me feel a bit teary if I'm honest. And I think I love Jennifer Lynn Barnes' version of werewolves the best. Her books feel very emotional and intelligent, with the mix of politics and gender and equality into the narrative.

I adored the first book in this series, Raised By Wolves, just as I adored this, its sequel. I love that Bryn is quite a fragile human girl, but still, it is her that is in charge of a large and valuable pack of wolves. She has very loyal friends and boyfriend and while her father-figure is no longer in charge of her, he is still partially present in her life, offering his advice. And while there is less of the strong first emotions of love in this book with the emphasis more on protecting the women and girls of her fledgling pack as well as negotiating the difficult werewolf politics of the other wolf packs in the area, there is still enough romance and high emotions. Reading this book was a wonderful escape from my own thoughts and I zipped right through it. Wonderful sequel, I'm very much looking forward to more!
on 1 May 2013
I loved book one, Raised by Wolves, a massive amount. But as it took me the better part of 3 years to then pick up this one (why, I've still no real idea) I wondered how easy I'd find it to remember what had happened, and how I'd get on with the characters now. I shouldn't have worried. Trial by Fire had me hooked from the start, I barely put it down.

Jennifer has done a great job of giving enough reminders of book 1, without breaking the forward momentem of Trial. I found Bryn just as captivating as before, along with her great friends Lake and Devon (who I adore) and I remembered exactly why I fell in love with Raised by Wolves in the first place.

Trial by Fire is full of new twists, laughs, heartbreak and Bryn's continued growth and discovery of what it means to be Alpha now. I love when a book can shock me, make me cry, and laugh out loud, and Trial by Fire meets all of these. When it can make me go from one to the next in the space of paragraphs, you know you're reading something to remember. This continues to be one of my all time favourite werewolf series, and I am a huge werewolf fan! I can't wait to pick up the final book and see just where Bryn will go from here!
on 1 February 2015
I loved the first book and I have only started this one, but from what I can gather this book is going to be just as brilliant as the first one. I think the reason why I love this book series so much is because I can relate to the main character Bryn myself, (not that im surrounded by werewolves) but that the book actually features strong minded, resistant female characters and the struggle Bryn has to face being a human teenager within a werewolf community. Most well recognised books these days for example; '50 shades of Grey 'show women in a submissive, weak light and I believe it is a shame how Jennifer Lynn Barnes has not become a major hit as her writing is worthy of appraise and recognition. The only downfall I can express is that I didn't like how Bryn became Alpha of her own pack, I think I would of preferred it if she stayed under Callum's reign but was still finding ways to be defiant, as I feel the chances of a human becoming Alpha are pretty slim hypothetically speaking. But that's just my opinion, others may disagree but I will be eager to see what path this book will take and then I can move on to Taken by Storm which I have also purchased.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
My first thoughts on this book were that this line ("Before collapsing, he tells her his name is Lucas, he's a Were, and Bryn's protection is his only hope.") is completely false. Why do some blurbs have things like this? This isn't the way it happens in the book at all, it's all just a big lie.

My second thought was how much I love the author's writing style and her characters. I really like Bryn and Chase and Dev and Lake ..... and pretty much everyone in the book (even Caroline, you'll need to read the book to find out who she is).

This book really brings Bryn out as an alpha. This is her first big problem since taking control of the Cedar Ridge pack and it is a doozy!!! We get to learn a lot about Shay in this book as well as Ali, there's some background on them which is enjoyable. But the main part is getting to see Bryn grow as an alpha and realise exactly what being an alpha entails.

I love this series, it's YA but it's not too YA so it's still an enjoyable read for an adult. Can't wait for the sequel, and sort of annoyed that it'll probably be a loooooooooooong wait!