4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little number****Brill but nothing is 100% perfect
Purchased this razor after owning a remmington £10 argos one and it puts it to shame. Four times more expensive but 10 times better
Have now owned this for over one Month and it is a brilliant piece of kit.
Published on 28 Jun 2012 by Mr. R. Clarke

2.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance. Older models were better.
I have been using a previous model of this trimmer for the last six or seven years. It was probably the first one with the vacuum functionality. The cutter mechanism was becoming a bit ragged, so I bought this new model to replace it. I should not have bothered.
Published 14 months ago by karabash

2.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance. Older models were better., 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: Philips QT4090/32 Black Pro Stubble Trimmer with Turbo Vacuum and Additional Stubble Comb (Packaging Varies) (Personal Care)
Nothing has been improved (which I could have lived with, because the old trimmer was very good), but the key features are now worse.

- The vacuum is much less efficient. It spews whiskers everywhere. The old one did not do that. Keeping half the mess inside the trimmer is actually more work, not less, because I have to clean both the trimmer and the sink, now.

- The compartment that collects the trimmings is awkward to empty, and it has a very flimsy lid.

- The new model does not hold its charge any longer than the old one, and the Lithium Ion battery will probably die after two or three years, unlike the old NiMh batteries.

So, sleek new look (because we just love to show off, while we're shaving, don't we boys?), more built-in obsolescence, and worse performance. What's not to like?

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little number****Brill but nothing is 100% perfect, 28 Jun 2012
Mr. R. Clarke "dealer" (kent) - See all my reviews
Have now owned this for over one Month and it is a brilliant piece of kit.
The settings to change the length of the cut is so easy and all you do is use your thumb and slide. Cleaning is very easy to and the parts just slide out to make the clean one easy job.
And the Battery is by far the best reason to purchase this as i havnt even charged the razor since the first time i used it and now its in its 6th/7th use

The reason it hasnt got 5 stars is because the special compartment to keep the trimmings in works but not all the trimmings go in their! And as mentioned in previous reviews saying people can watch TV while in the front room well this is balls as my wife would kill me if she came home and i was there using this because as brilliant as it is some trimmings will always make it out. I would say 75% of the trimmings go in the special razor apartment and the other 25% in the sink or floor

1.0 out of 5 stars Clearly designed by people who never trim their beard, 5 Nov 2013
I'm sure I can think of some positives. Ah yes - this trimmer is relatively cheap, and the way the cutter guard automatically adjusts its angle of attack against your skin is quite pleasing, in an abstract kind of way. Oh and the way it retains (most of) the trimmed stubble is pretty useful. Er, and it's very light. Which is useful if you happen to be on the puny side, I guess.

Now for the negatives.

First, the trimmer struggles to hold a charge. Or to be more accurate, sometimes it goes on forever and gives the impression it will never need charging, while at other times it can't make it through a full trim without needing to get hooked back up to the mains. To say this is inconvenient is putting it mildly: I can't think of any occasions upon which it's appropriate to sport a face that's half-shaved in a vertical plane. Apart from a fancy dress party, perhaps.

Second, the trimming height is easy enough to adjust but the thing is so flimsy that it's much too easy to inadvertently end up with a shorter trim than you want, simply because you've been pressing the trimmer too hard against your face in use. It really isn't on to end up with a haven't-shaved-for-a-day look when you really want to maintain a decent length of beard.

Third, it may well be that I have a modestly large hooter but the design of this trimmer means it won't reach the area immediately underneath said proboscis. My only options are (a) to slip off the cutter guard and attempt to trim this area manually, which invariably results in a bizarre-looking under-nose bald patch, or (b) to plug in my trusty old (corded) Remington and use that instead. This is not ideal as it means I need to maintain two beard trimmers permanently plugged in, in my bedroom: I'm not the hairiest man in the world and this makes me look rather strange.

Fourth, the 'Turbo boost' thing is pointless - why on earth would I choose NOT to select maximum suction whenever using the trimmer? When I'm away from home and particularly want to irritate my host by dropping stubble all over their bathroom floor? It's stupid.

Finally, it just doesn't give a very good quality trim. You have to stand there shaving away for hours if you want to achieve anything like a decent consistent finish, and even then you still have to bugger about with the trim height, and removing the trimmer guard, for those straggly little hairs around the edges.

So in summary: it's flimsily built, doesn't work very well and is totally unreliable. Avoid like the plague, unless you are Lord Voldemort and don't have a nose to shave underneath, or you never go out in public.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall good but struggled under the nose..., 8 July 2013
Generally pretty good. Cut well, and getting through a beard was easy. The vacuum function was good. It fills up quickly but I'm no longer getting hair all over the bathroom sink.

My only problem with it was that with the vacuum above the blade it made it difficult for me to accurately cut the hair directly under my nose.

2.0 out of 5 stars Questionable build quality., 22 Oct 2014
While I have no complaints about the functionaility of this device - it trims my beard with minimal mess - I have found issues with its build quality. The lid of the collection area is very flimsy and what keeps happening to me is that the plastic latch to close it breaks off after 6 months or so. I'm now on my third one (thankfully Amazon has kindly replaced all of them) and it has happened again. I won't be bothering Amazon for another replacement and now keep the lid closed with an unsightly rubber band... Otherwise, the battery has remained good and I only need to charge it every 3 weeks or so (use it 2-3 times a week). A friend of mine who also has this device told me not to use it on your pubes as it may clog the device, but I will have to take his word for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips beard trimmer, 12 Oct 2012
An excellent product at an excellent price. The last one I had died after 10 years use. This one is even better!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good novelty factor and the vacuum did indeed work causing ..., 9 Oct 2014
Bought this on the 6th of January 2014 where it was £36.00!!!! Don't be ripped off now. How it can go up in price to £128.00 by the 9th of October is beyond me.

Good novelty factor and the vacuum did indeed work causing minimal hair around the bathroom and sink.

REALLY STRUGGLED using it on my neck it just couldn't pick up the hair and would often spend 15 mins moving my head to create a variety angles, trying to stretch skin, looking like a bit of a headcase.

August this year, battery packed up. Bought a Wahl since then and it's been phenomenal, complete full facial trim in around 5 mins, very precise but more hair in the sink... who really cares as you can wash it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuts hairs on my face just fine, 30 Nov 2011
C. Storey "Tif" (Burnley, UK) - See all my reviews
What can be said..

This is my 3rd "face shaver' i've owned - 1st one being a poorly built Philips that slowly changed from slicing hairs from my face, to slowly and painfully pulling/twisting them out.

That was chucked and so came the 2nd, a babyliss stubble... model.
Was alright, kept my gruff under control but the battery eventually went, and so came this Philips.

After a week or so of use, seems great. A HUGE step up from the previous two. The digital display lets me know, to the mm, what length it's cutting at. On colder days i like to go with a nice 5mm, whereas i'm sure in the summer i'll drop to a mere 1/2mm. It goes all the way up to a humongous 18mm. I haven't had chance to try that, i think it would take me a good 2 years to develop that kind of hair on my face.

Another benefit is the vacuum, cleverly hidden somewhere on it. Sucks all that dead hair from your face, thus avoiding your other half complaining you left the sink in a 'terrible state'.

Battery-wise - can't really comment as i've only had it a short time. I charged it 100% initially and i haven't had to recharge since (Use it every 2 days).

All in all, very happy with it. Can't comment on long-term use obviously, but it seems well made and should keep me stubbly-faced for the next 2-3 years.

2.0 out of 5 stars It hurts!, 15 Feb 2012
Murray "Murray79" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have had a beard, and thus have had beard trimmers, for almost 30 years, so I have some pretty strong ideas about what a trimmer should and should not do. IT SHOULD NOT STAB YOU IN THE FACE! But that is exactly what the new QT4090/41 does.

For years I was wonderfully happy with Philips previous top-of-the-line model, the T980. I love the vacuum feature, the turbo setting cut my tough beard with gusto, and the length adjustment was generally adequate (though the settings were a bit wide apart, so 3 was too long and 2 was too short).

But the engineers at Philips have taken a wonderfully designed T980 trimmer and screwed it up royally. The problem is with the guide comb. On the older T980, the guide comb completely covered the cutting head. But on the new Qt4090/41, the guide comb has tines that extend along the top and front of the cutting head, and END IN SHARP POINTS. So the cutting head sits exposed within a cavity between the ends of the two sets of pointy tines. Yeah, sure, that's what I need to drag across my face all bleery-eyed in the morning - pointed sticks! :-(

The new guide comb's design is woefully stupid for two reasons:

1) The length to which your hairs are cut will VARY depending on the angle with which you hold the trimmer against your skin. If you hold the upper face of the guide comb flat against your skin, you get a longer cut than if you allow your skin to span the gap between the two set of tines. And frankly, you KNOW you can't hold the trimmer at the same angle all over your face! BOTTOM LINE: AN UNEVEN TRIM!

2) Even if you are trying hard to keep the flat top of the guide comb flush against your face, you eventually have to turn a corner, like at your jaw line. I have used this Qt4090/41 about a dozen times now, and each time I have managed to jab myself with those stupid tines somewhere - in the jawline, in the chin, in the lip, etc. I know it's just a matter of time before I (a) break a tine, or (b) draw blood. BOTTOM LINE: A PAINFUL TRIM

2.0 out of 5 stars Look elsewhere., 25 July 2014
I've had this item a little while now, and so can write a constructive review.
I'm actually quite disappointed with it.
There are loads of beard trimmers out there and this is one of the more expensive ones.

The good points are:
1) Battery life is generally good.
2) It gives a reasonably good clean cut, and I've had no pulling of hairs etc when using it. I've had stubble and beards whilst I've had this product and its handled both very well.

Bad points:
1) The item isn't flat at the bottom, and so cant be stood up when not being used. You might this this is minor, but its actually a right pain, as when you lie it down, hair falls out all over the place. Even if you wash it after use.
2) About 3 months in, the access door to the hair collector broke. So now I have to hold that part of the trimmer the whole time I use it.
3) On at least 5 occasions now the battery has gone from full to zero for no reason at all. It then takes a few hours to charge it up, which is dead handy when you need a shave for work!
4) The vacuum really isn't very good at all, and you have the sink to wash as normal after a shave. You also have the item to empty.

Overall, for the money, I wouldn't buy another. I had a cheap one (about £15 Remington) before this, and this one really isn't any better.