4.0 out of 5 stars Monkey See, Monkey Two
At long last, after all these years, Monkey Island 1 & 2 have been re-released in retail stores across 3 different platforms - PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3! I think the last time they were released was back in 1997(?) as part of The Monkey Island Bounty Pack!

Published on 13 Sep 2011 by DustyShinigami

1.0 out of 5 stars If only it would run
Published 1 month ago by miss j m knight

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Monkey See, Monkey Two, 13 Sep 2011
DustyShinigami (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Monkey Island: Special Edition - Collection (PC DVD) (Video Game)

Apart from what's already included in the fantastic and faithful Special Editions - new HD graphics/animations, full voice-over, a hint system, control-pad support, an option to switch between the new and original at the press of a button etc. - the retail release also includes 2 in-game soundtracks, 50-80+ concept art pics for both games, and a storyboard for an unreleased Monkey Island animated movie!

However! As much as I love the Special Editions (I'd give them both 5 stars) I do feel this collection is a bit of a cash-grab from LucasArts and Activision. To me, the new disc features aren't particularly impressive - they're probably only worth checking out just the once - and I would have welcomed the soundtracks on separate audio discs too. I was disappointed to learn that the free 'Avatar Goodies' for the Xbox 360 (advertised above) are NOT included in the PC version! A minor gripe, though a strange one, is on the main menu that lets you access the games and new disc features - the mouse pointer moves/feels clunky! It's odd considering the picture is STATIC with no animations whatsoever. The games themselves run excellent! And finally my main issue - and I knew this would be the case what with piracy issues and companies such as LucasArts and Activision - is that you MUST have the disc in the drive in order to play the games! It sucks considering the download releases can be played straight off the hard drive! Apart from the disc check at startup, the disc is never read/used.

Apart from those gripes, this collection is still an ideal purchase for newcomers and die hard fans! I mean, come on... it's Monkey Island! I think this release is worth having in your game collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good ol' games, never die!, 19 Nov 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
What can I say about this game? For me, the Monkey Island series are, despite its years, the best games ever made! (at least the first and second game) I grew up whith those games, I play them everytime I can, and will play them always is possible. I have owned the game in all the formats available, from the 3.5" version, to the CD, PC digital, XBox, etc versions. This remake is a really good remasteritation. It holds all the essence, adding great value as remastered (awesome) music, and HD graphics.
This is a must buy, for MI fans out there, and for people that love adventure games and never played it before. Trust me, if you are part of that population, You Will Enjoy this game. ITs really worth the money, although I already own this collection for XBOX Live, and PC Steam, the DVD version features some goodies you will really enjoy if you are a fan (maybe, if you just like the game, you may go for the digital downloadable versions, the games remain the same, but you get some cool extras you will enjoy if you really are into MI series universe, and you get all of DVD format to have it with your 'physical' collection.
As a conclussion, I would recommend this game (games, for its MI1 & 2) to everyone, from child to adults. One must have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Monkey Island, 27 Oct 2011
S. Critchley (England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This pack is good value as you get two games for your money. The graphics on the first game are not as good as the second but hey it's an old game, what can you expect. The controls for the 1st game are a little awkward but improve on the 2nd one. Thoroughly enjoyed the game play and found the addition of a help button very useful, several times! Some of the puzzle solving is a little obscure.
If, like me, you are a fan of Monkey Island and you have not played the first two episodes, this is a must buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars If only it would run, 19 Aug 2014
Great game - if only I could play it! It says it is suitable for Windows 7 and I ran my computer spec through CanIrunit.com before purchase to check my system met the game's requirements (which it does). However, after installing the game (more complicated that one would wish with the need to turn everything else off) it disappears in the second screen. Looking at online forums for solutions to this suggests a great number of people have had the same problem. I am still trying all the different suggested trouble shooting in order to play the thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The old games are the best!, 9 Sep 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Bought this for my wife who likes adventure games - I have played this game myself as well years ago. The game has good comedy value and great gameplay. The game can get frustrating when you get stuck but I suppose that's better than it being too easy! A quick google will provide you with answers if you get stuck anyway!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hints button, 11 May 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I'm so pleased to be able to play Monkey Island again and now on my windows 7.It's such a fun game and the graphics are very good and it's a click and point game too so that's great.The only thing i don't like about it is that it has a hints button that you can press whenever you get stuck which ruined the first game for me as i hit this button every time i got stuck and finished the game far too quickly.My mistake, but it's too tempting.Now i'm on the second game and trying to resist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Monkey Island., 23 Oct 2011
C. I. Smith "c i c smith" (Kent,UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Monkey Island was out many years ago and i am informed by my son that it is a computer game that is so much fun to play even then,these are retro games that have been taken and have been reanimated.
When Monkey Island first came out it only had music to accompany you through each part but now they have taken it back and they now have people doing voice work so now it talks to you as you are playing the game as well as music.
The game is well worth the play and has hours of fun and has been enhanced for the better so is well worth the money and time it is a game that requires a little skill and will keep you on the go for hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars One for the fans, 17 May 2014
I played this game back in the day when it first came out. This special edition is great, they have improved the graphics and the menus to be more usable but they have left the brilliant story line and puzzles as they were. And if you feel a bit nostalgic, you can use F10 to see the part you are playing in the original format!

2.0 out of 5 stars Unable to install, 9 April 2014
Although sold as suitable for Windows 7 the game would not install. I got a Trojan warning every time I tried.Friends with wide I.T. experience couldn't solve problem. so unable to play game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 Dec 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Bought this for my girlfriend as we both have fond memories of the original and I am impressed. The updated graphics, speech and extras are all excellent. Great value. Working perfectly well on Windows 8.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Monkey Island: Special Edition - Collection (PC DVD)
Monkey Island: Special Edition - Collection (PC DVD) by Activision (Windows Vista / XP)