5.0 out of 5 stars "Remember, it ends at the beginning"
Wow! This book is by far the best of the bunch so far and I'll tell you why but first, here's what Meghan is up to this time:

Published on 1 Jun 2012 by N. J. H.

3.0 out of 5 stars One for Ash and Meghan fans
Published on 27 Feb 2012 by I Read, Therefore I Blog

5.0 out of 5 stars "Remember, it ends at the beginning", 1 Jun 2012
N. J. H. (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

After venturing into the realm of Leanansidhe in her last adventure Meghan learned that "Charles" the piano player who appears to have lost his mind is infact the man she believed to be her father as a mortal. This opens up a lot of opportunities for Meghan and she's determined to make whatever deal she can with Leanansidhe to free him from her and finally get to know her dad. But the problem is, after trading her memory in the previous novel she just doesn't remember anything about him from her past. This leads her on a pretty scary journey, back to the same Oracle who took her memory, to strike some kind of deal. Now, as you can imagine, Meghan's making a lot of deals at the moment and she doesn't have a lot left to trade. But that's not her biggest problem, as if trying to decide between two handsome faery boys wasn't enough she now must help to save the NeverNever from the ever encroaching nastiness that is the Iron Kingdom. After the death of Machina in the previous books, a new Iron King (although a partly unoffical one - but you'll understand this once you read the book) has appointed himself and is determined to destroy the Summer and Winter Court, and infact the entire NeverNever, by poisoning the land and the faeries with iron. And who can stop this Iron King? Well, someone who isn't likely to get killed-off by the Iron if they venture into the Iron Realm. Oh wait, guess that's only Meghan!

This is such a fantastic story, the ideas throughout kept me guessing and I really had no idea how they could possibly save the NeverNever. I love the imagery that Kagawa creates, her world always seems so beautiful. But for me, the characters always steal the show. Puck is his usual, witty self although we do see less of him now that the relationship between Ash and Meghan has solidified a little better and there's no longer a love triangle. For those of you who, like me, secretly love a good love triangle - don't fret because Puck still loves Meghan and there's a lovely section of this book which deals with that really nicely. But my favourite of all characters for a very long time HAS to be Grimalkin - the seriously funny Cat.

I can't recommend this book enough and for those of you who loved the previous novels you'll love this one even more. There were so many riddles this time so, as a reader, it's nice to actually have to try and work them out and figure out what you think the solution to the destructive of the NeverNever is. This is a definite must-read but if I haven't convinced you enough, here's a funny quote I particularly liked which kept the rivalry between Puck and Ash alive: " Why don't you take first watch, prince? You could actually be doing something that doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out with a spork!"

Or for Grim fans the ever-famous, "I am a cat". Got to love that cat! Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars compelling, action-packed, and full of every emotion under the sun., 23 Mar 2013
The war between Summer and Winter is over but now there is a war against the Iron Fey that threaten to ruin the entire fey world, and all the traditional fey in it. It is up to Meghan as a half-fey to do what she can to save her beloved fey-world once and for all. This third book in the series was really interesting to read and I truly enjoyed reading it. Just like the previous two books in the series, it had enough action within it to really capture the readers' attention and just when you're certain things will calm for a moment, something else will happen causing you to be caught unawares. In this story, there is some heart-breaking scenes, some heart-warming scenes, and some scenes that even in the middle of the war, will have you laughing out loud. It just goes to show that Julie Kagawa is simply brilliant at bringing these stories to life.

In summary, this was a book that took a step further for Meghan and Ash. A book that was compelling, action-packed, and full of every emotion under the sun. It was beautifully written making it truly easy to see the world that it was set within. I also really liked getting to see more of the Iron Fey in this story and all of the things that they represented. It was good to see that there was more to them that met the eye, it made them feel more realistic. This book had a heart-breaking ending which made me incredibly happy to realise that there was one last book in which my heart may have a chance to repair itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars better than the others, 6 Nov 2011
Jade (Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
Julie Kagawa, you have managed to change my mind about this series. The Iron King and The Iron Daughter were mediocre reads for me, books that I had to force myself through. The Iron Queen stepped it up a notch for me.

Okay, so I'll get this out of the way first - this book still took me some time to get into. The first fifty or so pages were such a push to me but as soon as we got back into Meghan's journey I was gripped again. This book is a little more action packed than the others, there were moments when I felt a bit bored but the good outweigh the bad.

It's very hard for me to admit this because I'm a stubborn person and hate to admit that I'm wrong, but I was wrong. I have been claiming all along that these books lack originality along side all of the other faery worlds out there, but in this book we see a whole new side of Kagawa's fae world, we see this corrupted poisonous iron realm in a new light which gave off an almost steampunk vibe that I liked.

As always, I loved Grimalkin, he is still my favorite character. Puck is less funny this time, and I missed his witicisms, Ash is still broody and dark but we also see his super romantic side, which has made me release that at some point I moved from Team Puck to Team Ash. Meghan is helpless as ever, though she has a few moments of strength I still don't like the whiny little girl.

And what can I say about Kagawa's writing, I've liked it before but I loved it here. You totally get into the characters heads, feel how they feel and see what they see, I am so impressed with how gorgeous and descriptive the narrative is. She's such a great writer that she really hit me with that ending - heart broken and saddened, I can't wait to read The Iron Knight

Overall, The Iron Queen is a step up from its predecessors and impressed me with the action and romance that was written so beautifully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great continutation of the series!, 24 Oct 2011
The Demon Librarian (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Iron Queen (The Iron Fey - Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
(This review contains spoilers if you haven't read books one and two)

At the end of the last book both Ash, the Unseelie prince, and Meghan, our half-fae protagonist were banished from Faerie forever for their love which they now refuse to hide or give up. It was an enormous gesture made by Ash. After fighting his feelings for so long and trying to push Meghan away at every turn, he suddenly decided that he will not give her up, no matter what, and said as much to his mother, Queen Mab of the Winter court. As love between different courts is forbidden, Mab was left with only two choices for her son and heir: death or banishment. And Meghan, who is loyal to a fault, as well as being just as hopelessly in love with Ash, opted to join him in his exile.

So we join the happy couple at the start of the book back in the human realm, or the "real world" as Meghan prefers to call it. Being back is actually quite a relief for Meghan. Daughter of Oberon or not, she spent the first sixteen years of her life here thinking she was just a regular human girl, and so it still feels like home to her. For Ash, however, being in the human realm means only that he will start to fade; his immortality will weaken and he will eventually wither and die, but not before watching Meghan do the same. Also, the Nevernever was his home for a lot longer than sixteen years, so his sacrifice for Meghan goes way beyond what she did for him. When he finally decides to declare his love, he certainly doesn't do it by halves!

They are soon joined by a jealous, bitter and also banished for bad behaviour, Puck. He also made his feelings for Meghan known loud and clear in the last book, and they shared a kiss, but she has ultimately made her choice. So although it was nice to see the trio back together again, it was hard to watch Puck suffering. He's usually so unflappably jovial, it was hard to witness him being snide and bitter.

The action really hits off when they receive a message from Mab and Oberon. The war with the Iron Fae is not going well, and guess who is the only one who can go into the Iron Fae's realm without dying from iron poisoning? Yes, you guessed it, it's half-human Meghan. The message states that all three will have their banishments revoked on the condition that she goes to the Iron court and kills the Iron king. She might have been tempted to tell them both where they could stick it until she sees the looks of longing for home on both of Ash and Puck's faces.

The rest of the book is all out war. Meghan's character described it as feeling as though she'd been dropped into a movie scene, and that's just how it felt for me as a reader. The world-building has been phenomenal in the previous two books, and this one was no exception. I could see the encampments clearly, the various fae creatures all waiting to go into battle, celebrating with song and faerie wine on what could potentially be their last night alive. It was truly a joy to read. After the somewhat quiet beginning to this book in the human realm, the rest of the novel is just action sequence after dramatic emotional scene after epic battle and was an exhilarating, fast-paced read with an ending that shocked even me. I cannot wait to see what happens next for these characters after the events from this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, excellent, compelling, addictive, wonderful!, 29 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Iron Queen (The Iron Fey - Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
These books have been hailed as the new Twilight ~ there is the love triangle ~ two (immortal) boys in love with one girl: The Winter Prince, who is totally unsuitable for Meaghan and Robbie/Puck who would be the more obvious choice in the circumstances (and who reminds me of an adult version of Peter Pan). Puck is the infinite lovable rogue but I have to admit that I am definitely Team Ash (The Winter Prince).

However, this series is a lot larger than the Twilight Saga ~ it doesn't just follow it's heroine and her friends and family. These books are about the whole existence of Nevernever, including the Summer and Winter Courts and the human world. Realms that have co~existed for eternity. However, progress in the human world has conceived the Iron Kingdom (through technology) and it's very existence threatens the survival of the Summer and Winter Courts. There are political struggles, mistrust and deceit rife amongst their powerful, immortal and magical rulers.

The author's skillful use of adjectives paints a wonderfully full and vivid picture of the worlds that she has created. It is so easy to visualise the kingdoms unfolding before the reader ~ the misty greyness and savagery of the Wyldwood, the vicious RedCaps, the Fae with their respective courts ~ all come to life under this author's very talented guidance.

The characters are all well developed. They develop through the story, from book to book, changing and adapting as real people would. The characters provoke powerful emotive responses from the reader as real tenderness, frustration, worry and compassion are felt for them.

It is a world where is is difficult to decide who is your friend and who is your enemy, who you can trust and who you can't. Promises become iron~clad contracts and the words "thank you" indebts you in unimaginable ways.

It truly is a series to rival Lord Of The Rings with it's wonderful tapestry of fantasy and would make a fabulous series of films. There is fantasy, horror, humour, romance and action. Some parts of the books are definitely not far the feint hearted when passages describe flesh being melted off, beings being suffocated, brutal slayings etc.

I have been waiting for "THE IRON QUEEN" with eager anticipation and was not disappointed. I loved it so much that I read it cover to cover TWICE in three days! The first time I read it, I was so loathe to put it down that I actually fell asleep whilst reading it in the small hours of the morning! I woke up and immediately continued reading it until I finished. And then started all over again!

The brilliantly penned characters have reached out to me, forming an emotive connection that has made them feel like real people to me ~ I felt real concern for their well being and safety!!

The way that modern language (even some swearing!) interweave and unite the modern world with the immortal Faery Realm, made the story seem more believable ~ more realistic.

Danger, power, political manoeuvrings, love, passion, danger, horror, fantasy, action, responsibilities (both familial and for the greater good), vengeance, gore, self sacrifice ~ this series has all the bases covered. It moves quickly, fast paced, with no lulls in action and pulls the reader in to a mystical and fantastic world.

I have laughed, been fearful and cried in equal measures during this series. I had thought that "THE IRON QUEEN" was the last book in the series ~ initially I was disappointed that the story hadn't reached the conclusion that I'd been waiting for BUT then I realised that another book meant that I can continue to read about characters that I am not yet ready to say goodbye to! I am therefore more than eagerly waiting for the next installment, "The Iron Knight" to see what happens next in the magical world that this extremely talented author has drawn me in to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Queen of iron, 25 Aug 2011
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Ash and Meaghan have been exiled from their Courts... but that doesn't take away the looming threat of the Iron Court.

So you can probably guess what "The Iron Queen" is about, now that Kagawa's heroine has finally gotten together with her wintry prince. The first half of this book is kind of fragmented, but Kagawa neatly ties off the whole storyline of the false king of the Iron Fey -- and throws in a rather shocking twist that I did NOT see coming.

Exiled from their Courts, Ash and Meaghan start tying off various plot threads -- they go hunting for tokens so they can free Meaghan's stepfather from the Leanansidhe, and retreat to a woodland lodge so Ash can teach Meaghan to fight. Meaghan also discovers that Puck was involved in her dad's abduction, but she still needs his help to master Summer magic.

Then Oberon and Mab make Meaghan an offer -- they will lift the banishments of Ash, Puck and Meaghan if she goes into Iron Fey territory and kills the false king. Since she inherited Machina's Iron power, she is the only one who can stop the Iron Court from destroying the other Courts. But achieving that might take away what she loves most.

It takes awhile for "Iron Queen" to achieve liftoff -- the first half of the book is dedicated to wrapping up plot threads from the last two books, and prepping Meaghan for whatever is ahead. However, the second half is really excellent, particularly a climactic twist that Kagawa blindsides us with in the final chapters. If there wasn't another book coming out, I would be demanding she write one.

And Kagawa's atmospheric, richly-detailed writing shimmers, whether she's describing the chilly technofaeries or the haunting decay of New Orleans graveyards. The Faerie world feels somewhat less dangerous and more distant than it did in the last few books, but then again, Meaghan and Ash spend more time in the mortal world.

Meaghan goes through a lot of wrenching emotional issues in this book -- her romance with Ash hits some speed-bumps, and she has to deal with her unraveling friendship with Puck and the secrets he's kept from her. One of the most moving, powerful subplots in the story is her desperation to regain her father, who spends much of the book in a semi-amnesiac haze.

Julie Kagawa wraps up some of the many plot threads in "The Iron Queen," but the door is left open for a forthcoming sequel. Wrenching, powerful, a little disjointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful series, 19 Jan 2011
Amazon Customer (Oldham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The third book in the Iron Fey series and definitely my favourite so far. The only negative I have is that the fourth book, Iron Knight isn't due to be released for ages!

I was lucky enough to get an ARC for review to be able to read this one a little early and hope I will have the same opportunity with Iron Knight or the wait will kill me...

The Iron Queen picks up right where the Iron Daughter left off and is even more action packed. It also has more romance and heart wrenching decisions to be made by Meghan- who has grown and matured drastically through the series. She still has lingering insecurities but when needed she shoves them aside and makes the best decisions she can at the time. When she steps up to it, she's definitely a force to be reckoned with!

Some of her most difficult decisions are made for the 'greater good' and the decision to release Ash from his vow when she thinks she is going to die is definitely one of those. and would have been a tearjerker if I was more of a cryer...

Grimalkin remains mysterious and pops up just when he is needed throughout the book. I really hope Iron Knight will shed some light on exactly what he is and his role in the bigger picture as I am intrigued.

Plus there's a healthy dose of Ash and Puck throughout the book to keep a girl happy!

Another great installment in a fantastic series. If you haven't read them yet you really should give them a go!

3.0 out of 5 stars One for Ash and Meghan fans, 27 Feb 2012
Following THE IRON DAUGHTER, Meghan and Ash are outcasts of the Summer and Winter courts. Not that Meghan cares. Now that she knows her mortal father is still alive and living with Leanansidhe in her Court of Exiles, she's determined to recover her memories of him, which she sold to the oracle in THE IRON KING and help him to escape. Plus she has Ash to help her and they are in love.

But Faery isn't finished with them. A false king controls the Iron Court and invades the Wyldwood intent on eradicating the realms of Summer and Winter forever. Oberon and Titania offer to lift Meghan and Ash's banishment if she enters the Iron Court and kills the false king. Meghan agrees, despite the fact that using both her Summer and Iron magic leaves her sick and weak. Helped by Grimalkin and Puck, she and Ash once again venture into the world of the Iron faeries but Meghan must come to terms with who she is if she is to have any hope of success and doing so might cost her everything she's ever wanted ...

The third in Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series is another vividly imaginative affair with more character growth but romance fans will get the most out of it.

I liked Meghan more here. She's more determined to take control of her own life, accepting weapons training from Ash and trying to master her own magic. I still found her whiny though and the fact that she needs the boys to tell her how to do things rather than figure them out for herself is irritating. I really enjoyed the bittersweet twist at the end because it showed that she had matured. As always Kagawa's depictions of the Iron Faeries are stunning.

The boys remain cyphers, with the exception of Grimalkin who again voiced every frustration that I had with the characters and their situations. There are a number of revelations in the book - none of which came as a surprise and some of which were telegraphed far too early. The pay-off on the Rowan storyline is an anti-climax and the final confrontation with the false Iron King lacked tension.

Ultimately, romance fans get the most out of this book and because I'm not invested in Ash and Meghan's relationship, I didn't get as much out of this as others probably will.

3.0 out of 5 stars predictable, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Iron Queen (The Iron Fey - Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
predictable plot and chacterisation.
pretty much a repeat of the previous books. an easy read if you are really bored.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Iron Queen (The Iron Fey - Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
I chose 4 stars because it was a really emotional book. All of them are really. I like the part where they kill Ferrum. I like dislike the part where Meghan leaves Ash. I would recommend this for 10+