on 22 August 2008
Its ben a long time coming for all the original Dark Hunter fans but finally Ash's book is here. It doesn't disappoint.
The first half of the book is about Acheron's past, told mainly through the eyes of his sister Ryssa. Ryssa is the only member of his family who really cares about him and this is a nice relief from the constant abuse that he suffers. The first half of the book is all about making sense of all the family rivalries, loyalties, Gods and Godesses. Its a mammoth section of the book and quite rightly as everything that has been hinted at in previous novels now begins to make sense - Ash's relationship with Artemis, Apollymi, Simi, Styxx and Apollo.
The second half of the book brings us right back up to speed in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina and with it introduces the anthropologist Torey who thinks she has discovered Atlantis. The fact that she has also discovered Ryssa's diary leads her to Ash. She is the geeky, clumsy, gutsy and intelligent heroine that Ash deserves. This is the Ash that we know and love, but I have to admit that although he makes perfect sense after reading the first half of the book he doesn't always tally with the Ash of previous novels. The Zen master Ash who always had a witty comeback and an all-seeing presence is replaced by a more human Ash (weirdly for an Atlantean God).
However minor grumble aside, this is a great book, I really don't believe that anyone who has been reading the series (and please don't try and start with this one if you haven't) will be let down by this. There are some brilliant scenes in the book in particular when Artmeis gets her ass kicked but also when all the ex-Dark Hunters appear.
It may not be the last book in the series but it does feel like the end of an era. So a triumphant farewell and bring on the next phase of the Dark Hunters. I can't wait!
on 18 August 2008
I loved this book, even though I was concerned it woulnt live up to my expectations of Acheron. Through out the rest of the series you have been given little glimpses of him and I had such high expectations of him as a god/Dark Hunter. I was not disappointed. Part one of the book was hard to read at times and made me cry at certain points, but that is what I think makes a good book, one that you actually have emotions about. It explains why he is guarded and un trusting and makes you love him even more than before. Part two is set in New Orleans in the present day and reverts to the old humour of the other Dark Hunter books. You still see the side of Ash that you do in other books but now you understand why he is like this.

I didnt want this book to end and even after I had finished I was thinking about Ash and his life for hours after wards. I cant wait for the next part of this series, even though it will be from a completley different point of view. As I am sure we will then understand why the demons and daimons are the way they are, as we have seen with Urian.

I wouldnt recomend reading this book as your first dark hunter book as it would be too much to take in. Start with some of the others first to get an idea of how everyone fits together.

But as I said this book was amazing as is the whole Dark Hunter series!
on 6 September 2008
All the hints over the years from SK have finally made sense (we've met her before (albeit as a child), her name starts with a K (surname but okay) etc...

This is really two books in one. The first part, a departure from her normal more light-hearted take on the DH world. Harsh, but neccessary, to show us what made Acheron the man (God) he is.
The second part, his story. His true love. Slushy but fantastic.

I think she timed this just right - apart from the Dream Hunter books which have felt like padding the series at times, the DH books have been wonderful but I think it was time to wrap up the stories of Kyrian and Julian and Tabitha et al - after all the first book came out a good few years ago (just checked, was it really only 2002? Wow).

I look forward to the new arc though with Jaden, although I think we will still see some old faces - I'm sure Nick isn't going to be quiet after all.

Definatley a worthy story for our Ash - stick with the first 150 pages and you will not be able to put it down!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 January 2015
I put off reading Acheron for so long because I wanted the time and the space to enjoy it. Ash has always been my favourite character in the Dark Hunter series, he's so powerful and commanding with a backstory that we've only ever been given glimpses of.

Before you start the book there's a note from the author to advise that the first half of the book is all about Acheron's past, and that it is brutal and often makes for uncomfortable reading. Truly, Sherryilyn Kenyon does an astounding job of sharing Acheron's bloody and painful beginnings and if you weren't already in love with him when you started the book, you will be the time you get through the first half.

And then we start on Acheron in the present day. Which is when I started to struggle. In all the other Dark Hunter books I've read, I've obviously failed to pick up on the clues to to Ash's visual appearance and the fact he looks like a 21 year old goth. As an older reader (not quite in the 40 zone), no matter what Ash did or said, I just couldn't engage with him as an attractive, sexy character, because he was too young. I always imagined Acheron akin to Zeus from the Disney film Hercules, an older man, but fresh and kindly faced. I just couldn't get my head around him looking like a 21 year old man. And that ruined it a bit for me - not the author's fault, I know. But still it was a deal breaker.

Then there was Tory, Acherons love interest. We already met her in one of the Dream Hunter novels, when she was just a teenager. Now she's 20. She's extremely intelligent and whole a concoction of contradictions. For everything I went through with Ash in the first half of the book, and for everything I'd learned about him in previous books, for the first half of the modern day section, I just couldn't warm to her. I didn't like her and didn't feel she was anywhere near good enough or special enough to be Ash's partner. And Ash wasn't his normal self either. His actions, thoughts and deeds often felt so out of character, that I had to wonder if it was the same author writing him.

Of course, everything comes to a satisfying conclusion, with some great action from Apollymi (Ash's mum), but by the time we reach the warm and fuzzy ending, there's just a bit too much cheese for my liking.

This is a huge book--over 700 pages--and it tells a good story. There are some great twists and edge of the seat moments, but it wasn't the jaw-dropping, compelling and all-defeating book I had hoped for. Moving on with less magnificent and omnipotent characters than Archeron, I hope the series will return to the style which first drew me in.
One word - Amazing. This is the book that I have been waiting for in this series if I could give it more than 5 stars then I would. The book is huge and it has taken me about a week to read but I thoroughly enjoyed it from cover to cover. I would 100 percent recommend this book but you may be best reading it in the order of the series rather than as a standalone.

This is the fifteenth book in the series and finally we get to hear Acheron the leader of the Dark Hunter's story. The first part of the book is all about Acheron's human life growing up and the abuse he suffered and the hands of his Uncle. Outcast from his family because his Father refused to acknowledge Acheron as his son his story is absolutely heart wrenching and it makes me like him even more as even though he suffered absolute degradation, abuse and hardship whilst living as a human he never takes that out on anyone else when he finally becomes the God he is. The second part of the book is about Acheron now in modern day times and how he meets and falls in love with Soteria (Tory) Kafieri but their love and relationship has one major hurdle to overcome in the form of a red headed Greek Goddess Artemis.

It took me quite a while to get around to discovering this series as when you look up Sherrilyn Kenyon on Amazon and these books in list order it actually shows Dragonswan as being the first book (but it's not) and Dragonswan is never ever available to buy! As a girl who likes to read all books in a series and most definitely the first one in a series, thinking that I couldn't get the first book did actually stop me starting the series. I have only just discovered that the first book is actually Fantasy Lover, read this and have now proceeded to order the rest of the series:) Sherrilyn has now joined the ranks on Gena Showalter and Kresley Cole on my favourite authors list.
on 21 January 2009
I write this review assuming that you have read other books in the Dark Hunter and Dream Hunter Series. If you are new to Sherrilyn Kenyon I thoroughly recommend going back to the beginning of the series and starting with Fantasy Lover which is technically the first in the series and sets the stage for the Dark Hunter novel that follow it (link to full reading order below).

This is a tough review to write because I have waited for Acheron's story since the minute I finished the first Dark-Hunter novel. I went so far as to go back a re-read the whole of SK's back-catalogue to make sure that I was completely up to date before reading 'Acheron'. Acheron has featured in both Dark Hunter and Dream Hunter books so if you wanted to read them in true order you would need to do it in the official order published on SK's website as Dream and Dark Hunter books cross over chronologically and feature characters from both series.

In 'Acheron' SK moved away from her normal style of writing and dedicated a large portion of this book to covering Acheron's history in full. It is far darker and more difficult to read than any of the Dark-Hunter histories you've been exposed to previously, mainly because of the length. In other DH books the history of the Dark-Hunter in question is always relatively short and mostly covered in flash backs from the modern day story. But as the leader of the immortal Dark-Hunter's you would almost expect Acheron to be treated differently. There would have to be a deeply tragic history for anyone, mortal or god, to voluntarily subject themselves to serving the Greek God Artemis the way he has for thousands of years. It is hard to read in places and after a few hundred pages of his misery you are relieved when SK jumps forward to present day to give the reader a long awaited reprieve from the bleakness of ancient Greece. However dark the first part of the book is, I believe it's necessary and contributes to how much you enjoy the second half of the book.

The modern day story of Acheron is far more palatable and goes a long way to bringing Acheron to the reader in full. In previous Dark-Hunter novels there has always been a lot of mystery surrounding him, while I'm sure there will be some who are disappointed with this book for exposing Acheron in full, I am not one of them. I may not like every aspect of the 'laid-bare' Acheron, but I am not disappointed in this book. You can't like every aspect of every character in a series of this magnitude. SK has written 'Acheron' artfully and has left me looking forward to where she will take these characters from here. I am can't wait to read more about Stryker, Jaden, Nick and any other character SK will introduce in the future.

Definitely worth the wait...
on 2 October 2008
I have waited for so long for this book, I just snapped it up when it came out - although I had to wait for some time before starting it because I wanted to 'take my time'. I've always loved Ash's character in the DH books and we got hints of his life throughout the Dark Hunter series - especially in Zarek's book, where Ash lets Zarek 'see' his a part of his past where he too was treated badly by his father.

I absolutely adored it! It's over 700 pages long and, from the very first page, we're riveted. I resented having to put it down - even to sleep! Drove my husband crazy - oops...!

Having read a most of Sherilyn's 'DH' books, all JR's 'Black Dagger' books, and all Christine's 'Dark' series, I have to say that 'Acheron' tops the lot. To me, his is THE ultimate hero. Loved him. Loved Ryssa, Simi (always) Tory and her friends. Loved Appollymi (that surprised me!). Couldn't stand Artie (no surprise there), Styxx (until later) and all the other bad guys in his 'family'. I laughed, I (actually) cried, I felt elated, I felt real terror in places. I just loved the book. SK takes this well-loved character, and the series, to a stratispheric level. Unlike some other series I've read recently, this one definitely didn't disappoint me.

But don't take my word for it, readers - or the word of the other 19 5 star reviewers... JUST BUY IT!
on 24 December 2008
There are two parts to this book and the first part is heartbreaking. I found myself wanting to cry at the pain that Acheron had to endure. I couldn't believe the sheer horror he had to put up with and how evil people were to him. I kept thinking 'What has he ever done to you?' The fact that Styxx, who was horrible and selfish and didn't care about anyone but himself, was the one who was treated like a king really annoyed me. It should have been Acheron. Yet, I would probably have said the same thing if it was the opposite way round.
The only person who really loved Acheron in the first part was his sister Ryssa, whos diaries entries we read at the beginning. Even Artemis treats him like he is nothing.
The second part is the present day in which we are introduced to Tory. The chemistry between Acheron (Ash) and Tory is amazing which makes it an incredible love story. Acheron learns to trust someone and he finally gets the life he deserves.
I loved this book so much and it really does release all your emotions. You feel sad, upset, happy and you even laugh out loud. With all the old characters like Simi, Artemis and most of the darkhunters, it leaves you totally fulfilled when you finish reading it. It also tells you that Artemis really is a b!tch. So overall, this is a must read.
on 13 August 2008
Completely satisfiying read....amazing.

If this book doesn't bring tears to your eyes...then you must be a corpse. It was everything I hoped for and I felt it was great closure for the first arc of this series. You will go through such a range of strong emotions while you read this book, from intense hatred to exhileration and sheer joy. A smattering of new characters but they were mostly in the past. I think SK's latest additions to the series seem to be bombarded with so many new characters but with this one we had quite a few old favourites making a reappearance.

Definately worth the wait.
on 22 August 2008
Kenyon simply blew me away with her latest dark hunter book. it has been one of the most anticipated books to date for me and she followed through beautifully.

At first when I read some of the reviews and realised that the story only picked up in modern times after about 400 pages I was disappointed but i am not anymore. The back story and full disclosure of what Ash has suffered through really got me, emotionally and physically - crying and everything! It also got me to look at him in a totally different way. I am now tempted to go back and read through all of the earlier books just for the glimpse of Ash and see new subtext to his actions and words - like his hatred of anyone at his back. it is explained clearly in this book. I also really hate Artemis now. I forgave her a bit in Katra's book but now I spit on her :)

After getting through all of the heavy emotional past story - you'll need tissues - the modern story is every bit as wonderful. I love the ending. I couldn't see how they could end up together but was determined that they would lol. Tory is a great character and meshes well with Ash. I missed them when I turned the last page - evidence of great writing.

READ IT...you certainly will not regret it.