First, let me say that SONOS is hands-down the best, most flexible and affordable multi-room music system out there. Don't hesitate to invest in the SONOS system as its easy to set up, operate and manage, and the materials and build quality are right up there with Apple and Bose.

Published on 16 Jan 2012 by A. KURIEN

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Cautions
Under the right conditions this product works very well, as other reviewers have noted. The sound is good - not great - but on a par with that available from good docking stations or laptop extension speakers such as Bose or Bowers & Wilkins.

Just be aware of three things not mentioned in the description that may be show-stoppers for you:

1. Your...
Published on 9 Jan 2012 by gnomen

4.0 out of 5 stars SONOS is amazing, but choose carefully between Play:3 and Play:5..., 16 Jan 2012
A. KURIEN (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sonos PLAY:3 White - The Wireless Hi-Fi (Electronics)

The only decision I think you'll need to make is whether you want the Play:3 or Play:5. We have a number of both in our system, and the sound from the Play:5s are noticeably better -- fuller, richer and rounder. By comparison the Play:3 sounds good, performing well with music and radio, but is less rich than the Play:5s. While the Play:3 looks smaller than the Play:5, its deeper design means that in my experience the Play:3 takes up the same space as the Play:5... and in some cases more space, because the less-deep Play:5s often fit better onto ledges and bookshelves.

In summary, if this is your first audio output for your SONOS system, go for the Play:5. If you're adding a player to your existing system for a smaller room (kitchen, bathroom), low-occupancy area (hallway) or where absolute sound quality matters less (you listen only to the radio in your bedroom in the mornings) then go for the Play:3.

*** UPDATE 2014 ***

The SONOS PLAY:1 is all-round incredible, in terms of value, performance, sound quality, physical size and placement flexibility. I wouldn't bother with the PLAY:3 at all now. Consider building your SONOS collection with PLAY:1s in smaller areas and PLAY:5s in larger rooms.
Sonos PLAY:1 Black - The Wireless Hi-Fi
Sonos PLAY:1 White - The Wireless Hi-Fi

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonos Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 1 Sep 2011
Mr. Alexander Campbell (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have just recieved my new Sonos Play:3 - Black from Amazon and as usual delivery was ahead of time. 5 stars.

It took less than 10 minutes to unpack, plug in the Play 3 to the mains and play music, absolutely excellent. I already have a Sonos Play:5 Black (Sonos Systems ZonePlayer - S5 Black) and whilst the sound from it benefits from 5 speakers the Play 3 is not far behind it with only 3 speakers. I would echo other comments about a Sonos Bridge (Sonos ZoneBridge) as it just adds so much flexibility to any set up. With a Zonebridge I can move play 3 or 5 to anywhere in the house or even outside. I have never experienced any loss of wireless signal which is something that cannot be said of Virgin Medias Superhub.

I have a Last.fm account and since joining in February 2011 have listened to over 7000 tracks free and having seen comments abouts Napster and Spotify may well take out subs to them too.

All of our family's music is stored on an Iomega Home Media Network 2TB Hard Drive which means no more needing to leave a power hungry laptop running to listen to music. To control my Sonos system I downloaded the Android app to my Samsung I9000 Galaxy S Mobile Phone and it is so simple to use.

Having 2 Sonos Players means that I can listen to the same music throughout the house at different volumes or if I prefer the same voilume on both units by linking the players together. alternatively I can listen to one player whilst another family member can listen to their choice of music on the other.

If you have not taken the plunge go for it. You will never listen to music through anything else.

Update 24/4/2012

I have added a second Play 3 to my collection of Sonos players. I have created a stereo pair of Play 3s and as usual the process was so easy. Stereo separation is excellent. Well worth the additional cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Bose, 17 Nov 2013
I have the Bose Soundlink which is disappointing compared to this. I literally couldnt believe that the sound the Sonos gives off comes from something so small.

If you have a choice between the Bose and the Sonos, 100% go Sonos. It's slightly larger, but not noticeably... and about 3 times the volume and clarity is much better. The bose I find tinny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound, wealth of Internet radio, but expensive and a few things to be aware of., 2 Jan 2014
Richard Brunton (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Sonos market themselves as a wireless system throughout the house, and to a degree they are, however there are some things you should be aware of up front.

1. This may be obvious to many but it is worth pointing out, they need to be plugged into a power socket. Not a negative, just something to remember when you're thinking of the wireless solution.

2. To be a true wireless solution they need to have purchased a Sonos Bridge and installed it alongside your Broadband router. Without this the Sonos devices have to be plugged directly into the back of your Broadband router - they could also be connected through HomePlugs if you have them or an Ethernet network if you have one in your home!

3. If you don't have a Computer or a NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive storing your music, or have music on your mobile or tablet, then you will probably find yourself considering purchasing a monthly subscription to one of the music services such as Spotify or Last.FM which are available on the Sonos. These will give you access to a huge amount of songs and are well worthwhile, but it is an additional cost to be aware of.

4. If you are thinking about using the Podcasting service on the Sonos do be aware that it is (at time of writing) rather limited and doesn't offer the true features of a Podcasting application. I find myself struggling with it a little and have abandoned the idea of using it for Podcasting for now.

5. The Sonos devices do not power off or go into standby mode, they are always on. I've actually resorted to pulling the plug on them when not in use.

Apart from these issues I do really like the Sonos devices, the audio is crisp and clear without any corruption or cut outs in the audio and the PLAY:3 has a superb bass to it. I was surprised at how good the quality is for internet radio and that even when I have other data traffic on my network and broadband that the audio remains unaffected. Using the radio functionality does provide for a huge wealth of free music and there are some good additional monthly subscription options on other services, even if you buy a single month for a party weekend it still works out a good deal.

I do have some issues with the usability of the Android app which isn't always as intuitive as the adverts suggest and does currently have a few flaws in the design, however Sonos are working on them and they do release service improvements and fixes for the device software and the apps without additional charge.

*** Update: 15/02/2014 ***
With reference to the Android App, I've now uninstalled it as it will send large amounts of data on the WiFi connection in the background, and I mean huge, it can be constant. This is with all the Sonos devices in the house unplugged from the mains. Also the app just keeps running in the background regardless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 27 Feb 2014
R. Carver - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sonos PLAY:3 White - The Wireless Hi-Fi (Electronics)
I was a loyal Bose customer after my wife surprised me with one a few years ago. We had 2 Bose docks for the iPhone and loved the sound but then both upgraded to the iPhone 5 with the different docks making the Bose useless.
I researched the Sonos and visited a few stores before deciding to go for it. I had read a lot of reviews but still had some concerns.
I purchased the Play 1,3 and the bridge. Wow, really really easy to set up after downloading the App and the sound is awesome. I love the fact that the Sonos stores tracks so you can leave the house but it will retain the playlist. It's so easy to use, no wires, perfect sound from both speakers playing the same track or playing independently from each other. The volume can be controlled by the app, turn 1 speaker up and the other down or both up together.
We have 2 iPhones and 2 iPads, all can be connected at the same time, I could be playing a song from my ipad then connect to it from the iPhone and the playlist is exactly the same even if I don't have the song on my phone. It's idiot proof, my only regret is not purchasing one years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 22 Aug 2014
I had been aware of Sonos for a long time but hesitated about buying it - partly due to cost.

Before buying it, I had read a lot about the system and what it can (and cannot) do. It is not that complicated but I would advice anyone considering buying it to study how it works a bit and to read the reviews here and elsewhere.

What persuaded me to to buy the Sonos Bridge and one Play 1 speaker were the very positive reviews of the sound quality of the speaker and the apparent simplicity, stability, flexibility and expandability of the Sonos system.

Since the initial purchase, I have been very impressed and have since bought another Play 1 speaker (linked to the other in a Stereo Pair), a Play 3 in my kitchen and a Play 5 for my living room.

Sound quality of all speakers is fantastic.The clarity of the sound is amazing, with little or no distortion at high volumes. Again, I would encourage anybody considering buying any speaker to read about them and to hear them in a local showroom. I think each has their own advantages.

The Play 1 sounds incredible on its own, particularly considering its small size. Two Play 1's linked as a stereo pair sound even more incredible with fantastic stereo effect.

I have the Play 3 in my kitchen. While not big, my kitchen is not small either but the Play 3 easily fills it with sound.

I have the Play 5 in my sitting room and it adequately fills that room, which is decently sized, with sound. I have put the two Play 1's as a stereo pair in that room two and when all three speakers are on, the effect is fantastic.

The sound from the Play 5 is probably better than the Play 3 or Play 1 but I find it very big and bulky - too much so for my kitchen or bedroom.

This is where the flexibility and expandability come in. I can have all the speakers working together, playing the same music or have the speaker in the kitchen playing one thing and the speakers in the living room playing another. I can mute any speaker I like or adjust the volume of any individual speaker or adjust the volume of a whole set of speakers with one touch.

The whole system can be controlled with the app on my smartphone or tablet.

I will be using the system mainly with Spotify and TuneIn radio or the like. It will work too with media stored on my devices too but nowadays, I mostly listen to Spotify or TuneIn anyway.

The system is very simple to set up and to expand. In the beginning, I had terrible problems trying to add speakers but this was due to the rubbish router supplied by my Internet provider, not a problem with Sonos. I have now replaced the router and the system works brilliantly.

My only criticism now is that while the sound is extremely clear and pleasant, to my ears it does lack oomph or bass to some extent. I have played around with the equaliser settings on the speakers but still not 100 per cent satisfied. I guess buying the Sonos Sub might solve the problem but at £600, this is really, really expensive...

All in all though, I am extremely satisfied with Sonos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product, well loved, 28 Feb 2014
This was bought as a gift and it is brilliant. The ability to link multiple media sources and play more or less whatever you want is brilliant. Simple to set up and really good sound quality. If you are a music nut who analyses sound quality in depth, this is probably not for you, if you want something compact, versatile, easy to use, that sounds excellent to the untrained ear and works brilliantly, I'd recommend this in a heartbeat. We will be buying the Play1 devices for the bedrooms too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Cautions, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: Sonos PLAY:3 White - The Wireless Hi-Fi (Electronics)

1. Your music server must be connected to your router by a physical Ethernet cable. I found this out after going through the 'easy' part of the installation and then discovering that the sound has constant drop-outs. The restriction is explained deep in the forum section of the Sonos website, and I found it only after some searching. Sonos state there that connection to a wireless server (our primary computer is only connected wirelessly to the router) is NOT a supported configuration. I am a bit surprised by this, since my Sony Blu-Ray player, for example, can stream HD video material wirelessly with no drop-outs. Surely it is less demanding to stream audio only. For us this first point may be a show-stopper. I am experimenting with re-configurations which may make a cabled connection possible. If it does not, the performance over wireless is unsatisfactory and our unit will have to go back.

2. The computer which acts as your wireless server must be on all the time. Sonos sets this parameter during installation. It will not wake the computer from 'sleep' mode to begin streaming music. As an economy-minded family we are a bit leery of this provision and decided we would go to the trouble of waking up the computer ourselves if we wanted to stream music. By the way, the computer does not have to be on to listen to internet radio, which is retrieved directly from the web via the router.

3. The Sonos App which manages your music is separate from iTunes and must be updated by you - not automatically. It is yet another interface to learn, very basic and has none of the richness of iTunes. You can import songs with artwork and other metadata, and your playlists. That's about it. No 'genius' mixes, no Shuffle play, no opportunity to export playlists back to iTunes from Sonos. Not a show-stopper for us but disappointing from a company which has had several years to create a smooth and effortless fit. Ideally all the music management would be via Apple's (or other provider's) own software with Sonos just handling the sound output. Software providers like Pure Audio and Amarra can blend seamlessly with iTunes, why can't Sonos?

All three of these points could be remedied by Sonos if they had the will to do so. The system itself is attractive, neat, convenient and sounds good. For those reasons we would like to keep it. But had we know these points beforehand we would probably not have made our purchase. I hope they help with your decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars 7 Sonos Units and Counting ..., 25 Dec 2013
Matt (Lewes, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I am a massive advocate of Sonos.

Amazing sound, beautiful design and simple to use and expand.

After an initial purchase of a single Play 5 I now have:

1x Bridge (connected via Powerline Ethernet to router)
2x Play 5s
4x Play 3s (in two stereo pairs)
1x Sub
1x iPhone cradle
Controlled by Sonos app on my iPhone(s) and iPad(s)

Multi year usage. Awesome reliability. Simple set up and expansion. Easy integration to 2TB external home media server with all my music on-tap and seamless integration with Spotify Premium.

Only thing that could improve Sonos to perfection is native app support (ie so you can control Sonos through Spotify app for example).

For multi-room multi unit arrangements such as mine the Sonos system gets expensive. But if you're into your multi-room music throughout the house and use Spotify regularly it is worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars This unit is very good...., 11 Sep 2011
I bought this after reading the reviews and hearing one in John Lewis. It sounded ok then, but I wasn't blow away - as the music selection was pretty poor on the demo unit. I also have some pretty good hi-fi gear for CD listening, and maybe I was expecting a bit too much.
I also listened to the Play 5, but in the end thought I'd save £100 and buy the Play 3 from Amazon. I could only hear a slight difference in them given the stereo seperation is so small.

I'm very glad I did. I'm listening to it now, and it sounds really very good. It sounds much better than it did in the shop. Very good bass, even on a flat EQ. Don't expect it to create a detailed soundstage from one speaker, but for bedroom/kitchen use or parties etc its plenty good enough. It won't beat a good CD Player and Amp, but then its not designed for that.

I'm a Spotify Premium user and that was the main reason I bought this and it really is made for Spotify or streaming music over the net. The fact that you can go on an iPad, search for an album on Spotify and immediately play it in high quality without a PC or Mac switched on really does change the way you listen to music. I like it so much I'm going to buy a second Play 3 and create a stereo pair. I will then also be able to move one to another room if I'm having a party, although I expect by then I will buy the ZonePlayer 120 and some Orb Audio speakers (look them up, they get very good reviews).

Setup is very very easy if you spend 5 mins reading the guide first and do it step by step. It took me less than 10 mins to having it setup and streaming Radio 1.

Controlling it is easy if you have your PC/MAC/Ipad etc switch on. Its a bit annoying that the unit doesn't have some additional controls on the unit itself - only volume/mute. A Play/Pause button would have been good.

I've not tried the multi-room/ zoning yet as I wanted to try just one unit first, but I can see the attraction of that feature if you move around your house/flat a lot whilst listening to music.

All in all, if you've read the reviews you are probably close to buying one, but maybe need that extra reassurance. Hopefully this review and others like it will be enough to make you take the plunge - its worth it; particularly if you are a Spotify or Napster user already.

Sonos PLAY:3 White - The Wireless Hi-Fi