5.0 out of 5 stars Sonos Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have just recieved my new Sonos Play:3 - Black from Amazon and as usual delivery was ahead of time. 5 stars.

Published on 1 Sep 2011 by Mr. Alexander Campbell

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Cautions
Under the right conditions this product works very well, as other reviewers have noted. The sound is good - not great - but on a par with that available from good docking stations or laptop extension speakers such as Bose or Bowers & Wilkins.

Just be aware of three things not mentioned in the description that may be show-stoppers for you:

1. Your...
Published on 9 Jan 2012 by gnomen

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonos Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 1 Sep 2011
Mr. Alexander Campbell (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews

It took less than 10 minutes to unpack, plug in the Play 3 to the mains and play music, absolutely excellent. I already have a Sonos Play:5 Black (Sonos Systems ZonePlayer - S5 Black) and whilst the sound from it benefits from 5 speakers the Play 3 is not far behind it with only 3 speakers. I would echo other comments about a Sonos Bridge (Sonos ZoneBridge) as it just adds so much flexibility to any set up. With a Zonebridge I can move play 3 or 5 to anywhere in the house or even outside. I have never experienced any loss of wireless signal which is something that cannot be said of Virgin Medias Superhub.

I have a Last.fm account and since joining in February 2011 have listened to over 7000 tracks free and having seen comments abouts Napster and Spotify may well take out subs to them too.

All of our family's music is stored on an Iomega Home Media Network 2TB Hard Drive which means no more needing to leave a power hungry laptop running to listen to music. To control my Sonos system I downloaded the Android app to my Samsung I9000 Galaxy S Mobile Phone and it is so simple to use.

Having 2 Sonos Players means that I can listen to the same music throughout the house at different volumes or if I prefer the same voilume on both units by linking the players together. alternatively I can listen to one player whilst another family member can listen to their choice of music on the other.

If you have not taken the plunge go for it. You will never listen to music through anything else.

Update 24/4/2012

I have added a second Play 3 to my collection of Sonos players. I have created a stereo pair of Play 3s and as usual the process was so easy. Stereo separation is excellent. Well worth the additional cost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound, wealth of Internet radio, but expensive and a few things to be aware of., 2 Jan 2014
Richard Brunton (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Sonos market themselves as a wireless system throughout the house, and to a degree they are, however there are some things you should be aware of up front.

1. This may be obvious to many but it is worth pointing out, they need to be plugged into a power socket. Not a negative, just something to remember when you're thinking of the wireless solution.

2. To be a true wireless solution they need to have purchased a Sonos Bridge and installed it alongside your Broadband router. Without this the Sonos devices have to be plugged directly into the back of your Broadband router - they could also be connected through HomePlugs if you have them or an Ethernet network if you have one in your home!

3. If you don't have a Computer or a NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive storing your music, or have music on your mobile or tablet, then you will probably find yourself considering purchasing a monthly subscription to one of the music services such as Spotify or Last.FM which are available on the Sonos. These will give you access to a huge amount of songs and are well worthwhile, but it is an additional cost to be aware of.

4. If you are thinking about using the Podcasting service on the Sonos do be aware that it is (at time of writing) rather limited and doesn't offer the true features of a Podcasting application. I find myself struggling with it a little and have abandoned the idea of using it for Podcasting for now.

5. The Sonos devices do not power off or go into standby mode, they are always on. I've actually resorted to pulling the plug on them when not in use.

Apart from these issues I do really like the Sonos devices, the audio is crisp and clear without any corruption or cut outs in the audio and the PLAY:3 has a superb bass to it. I was surprised at how good the quality is for internet radio and that even when I have other data traffic on my network and broadband that the audio remains unaffected. Using the radio functionality does provide for a huge wealth of free music and there are some good additional monthly subscription options on other services, even if you buy a single month for a party weekend it still works out a good deal.

I do have some issues with the usability of the Android app which isn't always as intuitive as the adverts suggest and does currently have a few flaws in the design, however Sonos are working on them and they do release service improvements and fixes for the device software and the apps without additional charge.

*** Update: 15/02/2014 ***
With reference to the Android App, I've now uninstalled it as it will send large amounts of data on the WiFi connection in the background, and I mean huge, it can be constant. This is with all the Sonos devices in the house unplugged from the mains. Also the app just keeps running in the background regardless.

4.0 out of 5 stars SONOS is amazing, but choose carefully between Play:3 and Play:5..., 16 Jan 2012
A. KURIEN (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sonos PLAY:3 White - The Wireless Hi-Fi (Electronics)
First, let me say that SONOS is hands-down the best, most flexible and affordable multi-room music system out there. Don't hesitate to invest in the SONOS system as its easy to set up, operate and manage, and the materials and build quality are right up there with Apple and Bose.

The only decision I think you'll need to make is whether you want the Play:3 or Play:5. We have a number of both in our system, and the sound from the Play:5s are noticeably better -- fuller, richer and rounder. By comparison the Play:3 sounds good, performing well with music and radio, but is less rich than the Play:5s. While the Play:3 looks smaller than the Play:5, its deeper design means that in my experience the Play:3 takes up the same space as the Play:5... and in some cases more space, because the less-deep Play:5s often fit better onto ledges and bookshelves.

In summary, if this is your first audio output for your SONOS system, go for the Play:5. If you're adding a player to your existing system for a smaller room (kitchen, bathroom), low-occupancy area (hallway) or where absolute sound quality matters less (you listen only to the radio in your bedroom in the mornings) then go for the Play:3.

*** UPDATE 2014 ***

The SONOS PLAY:1 is all-round incredible, in terms of value, performance, sound quality, physical size and placement flexibility. I wouldn't bother with the PLAY:3 at all now. Consider building your SONOS collection with PLAY:1s in smaller areas and PLAY:5s in larger rooms.
Sonos PLAY:1 Black - The Wireless Hi-Fi
Sonos PLAY:1 White - The Wireless Hi-Fi

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Cautions, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: Sonos PLAY:3 White - The Wireless Hi-Fi (Electronics)

1. Your music server must be connected to your router by a physical Ethernet cable. I found this out after going through the 'easy' part of the installation and then discovering that the sound has constant drop-outs. The restriction is explained deep in the forum section of the Sonos website, and I found it only after some searching. Sonos state there that connection to a wireless server (our primary computer is only connected wirelessly to the router) is NOT a supported configuration. I am a bit surprised by this, since my Sony Blu-Ray player, for example, can stream HD video material wirelessly with no drop-outs. Surely it is less demanding to stream audio only. For us this first point may be a show-stopper. I am experimenting with re-configurations which may make a cabled connection possible. If it does not, the performance over wireless is unsatisfactory and our unit will have to go back.

2. The computer which acts as your wireless server must be on all the time. Sonos sets this parameter during installation. It will not wake the computer from 'sleep' mode to begin streaming music. As an economy-minded family we are a bit leery of this provision and decided we would go to the trouble of waking up the computer ourselves if we wanted to stream music. By the way, the computer does not have to be on to listen to internet radio, which is retrieved directly from the web via the router.

3. The Sonos App which manages your music is separate from iTunes and must be updated by you - not automatically. It is yet another interface to learn, very basic and has none of the richness of iTunes. You can import songs with artwork and other metadata, and your playlists. That's about it. No 'genius' mixes, no Shuffle play, no opportunity to export playlists back to iTunes from Sonos. Not a show-stopper for us but disappointing from a company which has had several years to create a smooth and effortless fit. Ideally all the music management would be via Apple's (or other provider's) own software with Sonos just handling the sound output. Software providers like Pure Audio and Amarra can blend seamlessly with iTunes, why can't Sonos?

All three of these points could be remedied by Sonos if they had the will to do so. The system itself is attractive, neat, convenient and sounds good. For those reasons we would like to keep it. But had we know these points beforehand we would probably not have made our purchase. I hope they help with your decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Bose, 17 Nov 2013
I have the Bose Soundlink which is disappointing compared to this. I literally couldnt believe that the sound the Sonos gives off comes from something so small.

If you have a choice between the Bose and the Sonos, 100% go Sonos. It's slightly larger, but not noticeably... and about 3 times the volume and clarity is much better. The bose I find tinny.

5.0 out of 5 stars So small yet so powerful!, 18 Aug 2011
Andreas Iacovou (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sonos PLAY:3 White - The Wireless Hi-Fi (Electronics)
I will start by saying I am already a Sonos convert and have been for a couple of years now. Their products are premium quality and therefore do not come cheap but this is one case where you definitely get what you pay for.

I bought this to add a third zone to my existing ZP-90 and S5 (now called Play 5). I have wanted a zone in my bedroom for several months but the other models are just too big and in my case overkill for a bedroom zone. The Play 3 is the perfect size for a bedside table or shelf and can be mounted both horizontally and vertically with internal sensors adjusting the speaker parameters appropriately depending on its position - Clever stuff indeed.

For an existing user like myself it took exactly 3 minutes to setup, which involved plugging it in and adding the zone to my existing set-up. This was done using my the Sonos app on my Android phone. New users will have to follow the instruction on the supplied CD, but this also takes a matter of minutes and that's one of the key advantages of Sonos. Set-up is easy!

Now I know I shouldn't have been surprised but when I actually started playing music, the quality from such a small unit was astounding. My wife came into the room and stared looking for several speakers it was that good. Really impressive sound and perfect for a small / medium sized bedroom or kitchen.

Good to know that you can also buy a second Play 3 and run them simultaneously to create a stereo sound. Nice!

Easy to recommend these if you have a smallish room and want to get zoned up with Sonos loveliness!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product, well loved, 28 Feb 2014
This was bought as a gift and it is brilliant. The ability to link multiple media sources and play more or less whatever you want is brilliant. Simple to set up and really good sound quality. If you are a music nut who analyses sound quality in depth, this is probably not for you, if you want something compact, versatile, easy to use, that sounds excellent to the untrained ear and works brilliantly, I'd recommend this in a heartbeat. We will be buying the Play1 devices for the bedrooms too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 27 Feb 2014
R. Carver - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sonos PLAY:3 White - The Wireless Hi-Fi (Electronics)
I was a loyal Bose customer after my wife surprised me with one a few years ago. We had 2 Bose docks for the iPhone and loved the sound but then both upgraded to the iPhone 5 with the different docks making the Bose useless.
I researched the Sonos and visited a few stores before deciding to go for it. I had read a lot of reviews but still had some concerns.
I purchased the Play 1,3 and the bridge. Wow, really really easy to set up after downloading the App and the sound is awesome. I love the fact that the Sonos stores tracks so you can leave the house but it will retain the playlist. It's so easy to use, no wires, perfect sound from both speakers playing the same track or playing independently from each other. The volume can be controlled by the app, turn 1 speaker up and the other down or both up together.
We have 2 iPhones and 2 iPads, all can be connected at the same time, I could be playing a song from my ipad then connect to it from the iPhone and the playlist is exactly the same even if I don't have the song on my phone. It's idiot proof, my only regret is not purchasing one years ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant white little box, 16 July 2012
This review is from: Sonos PLAY:3 White - The Wireless Hi-Fi (Electronics)
I ordered two of these around May this year.

I have one in the lounge that is connected directly to my router via the cat5 cable that comes in the box.
The second unit is in the kitchen around 9+ meters away and connects to the lounge unit via wireless.

Setting up the system was very easy indeed.

Plugged the Lounge unit into the router and turned it on.
Turned on the PC and loaded the software. Followed the on screen instructions and updated the Speaker Firm ware and was playing music in a matter of minutes.

Plugged the Kitchen unit into the mains socket in the Kitchen and repeated the connection process again.
Again within minutes I was play music in the kitchen. Being such a distance away from the lounce speaker I would of thought the Kitchen speaker might have connection issues (Plus it sits on top of the microwave), but its not had any yet, in the months of almost daily use.

I play audio from various sources.
My own files
Spotify
internet Radio
Audible

When I first got these speakers it was a little be annoying that I had to have my PC on to play files from it (Obvious as it was, it was still annoying) So I bought a 32gb tiny usb stick from Amazon for 14 plugged it to the USB port of the BT HomeHub, copied my music to it, and Bingo no need to boot up the PC to play music at all.

Playing muisc from Spotify is very easy as well, although some Spotify Features are missing from within the Sonos software itself, its nothing that stops it working.

Internet Radio is great, I have yet be not found at station I was looking for. Althought saving a Radio Station as Favourite, really is a waste of time. It takes longer to find than a normal non favorited stations.

Controlling the speakers is donw easily via my Android Phone or Tablet or PC. But I hardly use the PC.

The only problems I had with streaming music. THe sonos software displayed a rather unhelpful error, but searching the sonos forums I found out it was a problem with Spotify software not Sonos.
I didnt have the latest version installed which was stopping me logging in.

Oh and the sound for such a little box is great.

I've read a few negative reviews and most of those seem to be down to user error or miss understanding.
For those that complain they are expensive. Cant argue with that. However there is also a new range just out from Phillips that does almost all the same things as the sonos for a cheaper price. So you could take a look at that if the sonos is to much money.

I gave if 4 out of 5 because I turn my speakers off when not in use.
Normally turning them on and turning on the controller software means by the time the app has loaded the Speakers have synced, but sometimes and not very often I have to resnyc the devices to the netwrok. (which only take a minute max) but its a pain still.

I love the two play3s that I have, I've gone and got a Play5.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sonos Play 3 and Bridge on iMAC and iPod Touch., 11 Jan 2012
Rob "The Lodger" (Cumbria United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I managed to get a sonos play 3 with a sonos bridge bundled with it so quite a good deal. Both the Play 3 and the Bridge are well constructed and the Play 3 is reassuringly heavy. Each unit came with its own dvd and instructions. My intention was to use the bridge connected in to my Netgear router vis the supplied cable and the Play 3 would then free-lance around the house where ever it was needed.

The Sonos software loaded with out any hitch on to my iMac running Snow Leopard. I followed the installation instructions to initiate the bridge and then the Play 3 unit and all connected and was recognised with out any problems. The software took a bit of carefull thought to get it to link to my music folder but again no real problem. I tested the system as controled from the iMac to start with and had it playing music with in a short space of time. The Play list needs to be cleared before selecting to play an other album otherwise it adds the selected to the end of the play list. This is easy to do as a options box appears so you can delete the original play list or add to it.

I then loaded the control software app on to my iPod Touch (gen 2) the software loaded no problem and I was soon able to control the Play 3 using the iPod. I found no issue with any wifi delays, the system responded quite quickly to instruction from the iPod. Song selection was intuative. again you need to clear the loaded play list before you can play a new play list otherwise it just adds it the end.

WiFi range was not what I had hoped and was a bit limited but not sure if that is a function of the Sonos Bridge or the net gear router.

This is a good hardware amd software system and is very compatible with the system I have. My only disappointment is the very flat sound the single Play 3 makes. To my ears there seems to be zero stereo image from the 3 internal speakers, might as well have just a single mono speaker. The quality of the sound is OK there is a volume control on the Play 3 unit so if you do not have a iPod Touch or the Sonos controller then you can still control the volume when at a distance from your iMac, can't change the play list though obviously.

If you can afford it get two Play 3 units so you get the fully stereo image at least I hope you would for 500.

ARRAY(0xafa24f54)