on 15 May 2012
First off, I've got to agree with other reviewers about the ridiculous install palava. Even the original Half Life 3 wasn't this much agg!

But bear with it, there's a good sim behind it all. Just follow the instructions carefully and you'll be o.k. (I hate following instructions personally, but I got there first time).

You will need quite a meaty graphics card to get it to run reasonably smoothly. I had an 9500gt with an AMD 720 triple core and it was unplayable, I upgraded to a 560ti and it now runs really well.

Yes, it is a bit boring running to the back of the train setting the lights etc, but after you've done it a couple of times it only takes a couple of mins. The actual driving experience is pretty cool, the graphics are actually quite good and the sound effects are, well... effective!
I have actually managed to drive the train out of the map into no-mans-land once or twice (?!?), suggesting a bit more polish would have been good, but overall I'm pleased with my purchase.
You'll find having a London Underground map to hand pretty useful (unless you're a Londoner and know the Circle Line etc like the back of your hand.

I'm not a train nerd, or a sim-head, but I find myself coming back to this every couple of weeks for a few hours and thoroughly enjoy it.

Worth 15 quid.
on 2 July 2014
I read all the comments on here and I admit to having been nervous about the large number of bad reviews; knowing that I can be impatient with games (any software come to that) which is not intuitively straight forward to pick up, my instincts were that laying out dosh on this little piece of entertainment might be a waste. The many complaints about the tedium of setting up the train was a major put-off. Nonetheless I was keen to give it a try and when a friend asked me what I might like for a present I suggested this.

At least then it won’t be my money wasted! It really can’t be that bad, I thought to myself. I enjoy Train Simulator and I’d really love to drive the underground, so I’ll go for it.

I should have trusted my first instincts. This game stinks!

The real problem with this game is the interface. I could just about cope with having to set the train up – switching on the tail lights, then moving to the front of the train and setting up the other lights, heating, ventilation, etc. After all one presumes that is what you would have to do in the real world. But the difficulty is that this isn’t the real world and finding a way of interacting with this virtual version in such a way that this setting-up process does not become tedious to the point of distraction is a major challenge. It is a challenge that this game wholly fails to meet. So painful is the process that you just end up thinking: you know what, I just cannot be bothered.

Using a combination of the mouse and the keyboard you have to interact with this virtual world moving around the platform, entering the cabs, moving from the front to the back of the train, opening and closing cab doors, startng the train, throwing various switches and then finally getting to move. The problem is that interaction is extremely poor. The mouse movements were impossibly imprecise and once in the game my mouse did not behave at all like it does in windows. Settling on a switch, or the doors, or whatever was required was difficult to say the least. I tired to vary my mouse settings but all to no avail. To activate a switch, or a panel of switches, or a control, it is necessary to hold down the shift key whilst clicking the left mouse button. Only the left shift key worked and being left handed with the mouse this gave me an extra problem. Some functions have key board alternatives. Closing or opening the cab doors, for example, is F7. But I found that getting this to work was random. I just never succeeded in working out precisely what I had to do to close the door. I managed it eventually, most times (once or twice I gave up on this and left the game to return for another try later on), by some means the precise nature of which I was never able to determine. Naturally this meant I could not learn how to do it everytime and with that one quickly loses interest.

Remember that all of this was before one even got the train moving.

Just about the last straw for me was on about the fifth attempt at getting the hang of the “Briefing” mission. (The briefing mission is recommended as the way to learn how to set up and drive the train; I never got beyond the briefing mission!) After turning on the tail lights the idea is to follow the instructor, Danny (yeah, I know, Danny, what kind of a dumb name is that for a London Underground instructor), to the front of the train. Danny walks incredibly slowly; you walk a normal pace by pressing W and break into a trot if you press shift W. If you walk normally you overtake Danny; fed up with a stop/start walk I decided to just walk on ahead. I get to the front cab but no sign of Danny. I look back. There is a small knot of maybe half a dozen people congregated on the platform and there’s Danny, stuck right behind them, walking sedately on the spot but getting absolutely no where blocked as he is by their presence. Ones expectation is, as is usual in games, that he walks through them like they are ghosts, but not with this game. So Danny gets no where. I walk back thinking maybe I can take him by the hand but no key stroke relieves Danny of his plight and so I exit yet again so as not to leave Danny walking on the spot at Hammersmith station forever more.

At that point I gave up.

The sad point about all this is that once I did get to move the train the graphics were absolutely superb – infinitely better than Railworks Train Simulator – and the sounds and movements were extremely good and very realistic. What a pity then than there is so much so very bad about this game that all this good stuff goes hopelessly to waste.

Give us some easier interface to set the train up and to operate the controls; make closing the doors much more straightforward; forget about this nonsense of actually having to walk along the platform. It may add realism, but the cost is that too many just give up trying to come to terms with the awful response of the game to inputs. Give us those things and this game might be workable.

As it is this is a very bad deal and an utter waste of my anyone’s money.
on 23 October 2011
Wow,

I have been waiting for quite along time for a decent London Underground simulator....here it is! Realistic and very interactive....its a winner. People who want it just for a game, you may be disappointed. you have to setup the train etc, which I find more realistic etc then just jumping in the train and driving it. The sounds and announcements are realistic!

So, if you are looking for a really good London Underground simulator, I think this is the only decent one around. If you are looking for just a game, you may be disappointed....
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 November 2011
I'm not a great fan of train simulators. In fact I'm not a great fan of simulators full stop, with the exception of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 and X. But my curiousity was aroused after the recent release of Railworks 3, or Microsoft Train Simulator 2012 (which are now one and the same thing) as the improvements in realism and graphics has been ten fold over previous versions.

I accidentally left this off my Christmas list, so when I saw it on offer my curiousity got the better of me and I decided to give it a punt.

Firstly, the installation. Like Railworks 3 it requires a third party launcher initially. Unlike Railworks - which uses Steam which is a proverbial pain in the rear - the launcher here is that of Aerosoft. This launcher is a lot better than Steam and doesn't keep popping up and making a general nuisance of itself. Just bear in mind that you will need to have an internet connect in order to validate the initial installation - after that, don't concern yourself with it and it won't bother you.

Installation is straightforward. Driving a train isn't, but is a most rewarding experience once you have followed the training provided on the disk. Suffice it to say that there is a lot to be done before the train lurches forward in a most satisfying manner. I have ridden on the Circle Line C stock for over 30 years now, know the routes supplied well, and the sounds which accompany a gentle trundle under London on this mostly cut and cover route. I recognised most of it, which says a lot. The big omission that I noticed was the absence of the Met junction at Baker Street. Once you get used to it, this is a pretty detailed and immersive simulator.

I have purloined one of my son's Train Controller units. This works very well with this application, just a couple of tweaks being required. Worth it as otherwise the number of keys on the keyboard that need to be remembered is considerable - and miss one bit out on setting up the train and you're not going anywhere! Joystick is not supported.

A common problem, so I learned from the forums, is to install and then find there is no sound present. The fix is easy - update your Direct X Runtimes from Microsoft (a Google search will provide the necessary links and advice) and all will probably be well.

It's good - don't forget to put it on your Christmas or Birthday list - or failing that you could actually buy it. Be patient and spend an hour or so in training and you'll be well rewarded. If something doesn't go quite as planned, then don't blame the game but review what you have (or haven't) done according to instruction; my experience to date is that you'll always find something.

Now - please excuse me. MIND THE DOORS!

Post review note just in case you think of another in the series.....
Having praised the above, I was delighted to receive Vol 1 New York in my Christmas stocking. Although published as part of the same series, it eminates from a totally different company which normally gets things right. In my book Aerosoft got it seriously wrong in Volume 1 - it has all the hallmarks of a poor trainsim of 10 years ago. You'll love Volume 3 Circle Line, the subject of this review - but you'll be disappointed by the earlier version by comparison.
on 19 February 2016
I wanted to like this sim/game but ended up thinking 1 star would be appropriate. I bought this about a year ago and probably used it for about 3 hours - it's hard to explain how tedious it to do anything. Before you even get to drive, and even then a simple error finishes the session completely. For all its looks and anticipation all the fun has been sucked out of the game, the controls are overly complex - I had to write out a list to refer back to. If you are excited to see what a driver experience on the London Underground is like you will be sorely disappointed. Dull, tedious, frustrating. I moved on to Train Sim 15. After my computer crashed and I upgraded to Windows 10 I was looking through my software and thought OK let's have another go - in case it was just a bad start. I can tell you that the game does not work with Windows 10 (mine anyway), the Aerosoft launcher does shows 'activation check failed' although code was accepted. Game will not launch. If anyone in sim/game development is reading this there is a great opportunity here for someone to develop a London Underground game, which I'm sure would do well. Just don't make it like this! All I wanted to do was have some fun driving along the Central Line...
on 28 March 2012
Boxed product review note:

-Make sure that you check you have the latest version of this product from the aerosoft website. At the time of writing, the current version is listed as v1.3 on the aerosoft website.
The version that was delivered on the disc was out of date (v1.2). This review is on version 1.3 of the product.

V1.3 review:

-Having never played the older World of Subways titles I was not sure of what to expect from this title. Having previously purchased Flight sim products published by Aerosoft in the past, I felt confident that WOS3 would be a great starting point into the world of the underground.

Installation was quick and simple, my only gripe is that you will need an internet connection to activate and play the game for the very first time. This also meant that I had to install the 'Aerosoft Launcher' onto my PC. As it turns out, I never again used this software after activation.

*on a side note, the launcher does tell you if you have any game updates to any of your installed Aerosoft titles. However, the application will not download these updates onto your computer for you. To update this product to version 1.3 you need to register your game with a valid email on the aerosoft support website. Once registered, you need to select the 'run' option (not save/save-as) to have your product updated. The version 1.3 update was a huge download which took me 45mins to download in the evening.

Gameplay:

-The graphics are great and the detail is unbelievable. They include realistic lighting effects shadows and reflections (which could benefit from some anti-aliasing). However you will need a mid-range 'gaming' desktop to match the performance/detail seen in the HD screenshots of the game. I tested this with an i5 coupled with a GTX560 on a WD hard drive using a standard SATA 3Gb/s connection, topped with 12Gb standard RAM. I used maximum settings for testing with adequite results for frame rates (20fps average, +/-4fps around built up scenery and large complex stations). Passing AI trains also appeared smooth with little fluctuation in frame rates.

-The whole circle line is included as well as the depot at Hammersmith. The 3rd and 4th power rails also look great and the stations can be explored on foot. Some of the 'missions' also let you travel the underground as a passenger.

Menus:

-Simple design, but it takes a while for my mouse pointer to move from one side of the screen to the other. It also looks like the pointer has a maximum speed at which it can cross the screen at. I suppose the interface looks 'clunky' if I could describe it accurately.

Driving Experience:

-Well, if you are in training to become a real-life driver on the London Underground, this is the game for you. As the player/driver, you will need to set up vital equipment and systems on board your train before you get going (such as tail-lights, air conditioning, head-lights and the DVA). The 'deadmans' handle is also a nice realistic feature. The DVA takes a few minutes to set up on its own and if, like me, you don't know the layout of the real circle line, you will need the map which is included in PDF form under 'Aerosoft' in the windows start menu. The DVA is great addition, as it lets you program the correct station announcements onto your trains tannoy system. The announcements also seem very realistic and add atmosphere to the environment of a dark tunnel.

-Driving the train requires you to be on the look out for signals at the side of the track, as well as using the mouse and keyboard to increase speed/brake, and interact with other controls. My only grip with this method is that the player must hold down the [shift] key every time you want to interact with a control which is not part of the main driving control group (the traction brake controller). I feel that this method is frankly awkward in my case, but not bad enough to detract hugely from the experience once you get used to it.

-Mastering station stops requires a bit of practice, but it is just part of the fun of the game.

Sounds:

-Are very realistic, im not an expert on London Underground C-stock trains, but the sounds really are good.

I will sum-up this review by saying there is plenty of features to keep up interest within this game. It also seems to be well supported by the developer and certainly looks better that any other train simulation-type game at the time of writing. If you are still unsure about purchasing this, then why not look at a video of it on YouTube, there are loads!
VINE VOICEon 16 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a London Underground train simulation. It invites you to journey around the Circle Line on the London Underground system. There are various routes you can take and it does include the new extension going to Shepherd's Bush. Time has clearly been spent on the graphics to make the stations look as much like the real thing as possible. There are patient training sections designed to help you get started and then there are assignments to complete to prove how good you've become at driving the train.

Simulators have always pricked my curiosty and I'd been keen to see what they were actually like for a long time. I also have a curious fascination with the Underground system itself. I use it almost every day and wanted to appreciate the challenges one could face driving one of the trains. This seemed a good opportunity to combine the two.

This is a very pretty looking game and it is very clear that an afwul lot of time has been spent in making it look as authentic as both my graphics card and the designers could make a game look. It does feel like you are heading in and out of the stations. The train itself also seems to have an authentic feel about it. The cab for the driver has a kind of feel I would expect to find if I were stood in the front of the train. Actually driving the train is altogether different.

Like driving a real train this is notoriously difficult to operate. The instruction book doesn't give you nearly enough information to make the initial stages of driving easy at all. It really helps if you are an expert using keyboard shortcuts, otherwise you will quickly find this an immensely frustrating experience. That said, once the train is running there is a curious excitement about it. Although it isn't real, there is a sense that you are moving this thing forward. Something I found rather exciting to do in the early stages. Unfortunately it's much harder to slow down and stop and, had I been an actual driver, I'm confident I'd probably have killed and injured a number of people - including myself - crashing into other trains.

If you love trains and use these things on a regular basis this should be a nice addition to a collection. For anyone wanting to know, or familar with, the London Underground system, this looks very good indeed and will probably intrest the train-loving out there. As for the more casual user, it's fun to begin with but does suffer from the fact that trains can only do so much, they are only trains after all, and the game probably won't have enough drama and excitement to hold the attention of many game players. A diverting few hours, once you've mastered the shortcuts, can be had but this is really more of an enthusiast's thrill than someting for the casual gamer.
on 30 April 2013
Bought this for my 8 year old son. He loves it! I am a tube driver myself for the past 28 yrs and can most definitely say that this product is authentic! The attention to detail is amazing and I just wonder why don't they do other lines? The graphics, the sounds
the GUI (graphic user interface) is of high standard. Brilliant job and would recommend young boys and girls for that matter see
what its like driving a tube train.
on 9 October 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The third part of the `World of Subways' series puts you in the driver's cab on the Circle Line of the London Underground.
With 35 recreated stations and both above and below ground sections, this is an opportunity to take control of the world famous "C Stock" tube trains as you follow a detailed timetable and a myriad of custom missions. Visit such landmark destinations as Baker Street - home of Sherlock Holmes.
on 30 October 2011
As a fan of simulation games, and especially train simulation, I kept thinking that this could quite easily have been one of the best on the market, there's so much which is actually quite admirable and well-made about this game, yet at the same time there's still a lot of bugs and flaws that keeps it just short of being unmissable. As it is, most tube fans will probably stick to their OpenBVE and other train sims, but this one offers much superior graphics and sound and a lot of care and attention has obviously been put into the game.

But that said there are some flaws which make it difficult to like this as much I want to - most casual gamers will find setting up the train at the beginning to be tedious - there is the option to skip performing a brake test but most will probably want to skip the rest as well and just get straight into driving a train. Also the mouse control is sometimes difficult to get to grips with when flicking switches, and the DVA (Digital Voice Announcer) system could do with some keyboard shortcuts to make it easier to program.On the positive side this is often spectacular to look at (a lot cleaner and prettier than the real thing most of the time!) but even here the programmers let themselves down as the graphics are not very well utilised - some older systems will struggle and a lot of players on the TML website report lagging. After playing this I played Hitman: Blood Money (PC DVD), a game several years old now but the graphics were of a higher definition and ran much more smoothly than they did for World of Subways 3. Nonetheless those who have travelled the Circle Line will recognise and admire the accuracy of the stations recreated here, which can be explored in 'Drive to Schedule' mode - the Victorian splendour of Baker Street and Great Portland Street, the newly refurbished Kings Cross St. Pancras, Hammersmith as it was being refurbished and the closed Blackfriars (the game seems to take place roughly when it was created - around late 2010, early 2011. Whether TML will release an update to re-open Blackfriars or remove the scaffolding from Hammersmith and Farringdon etc in the future is unknown, though it looks unlikely).

Sadly Notting Hill Gate has been modelled the wrong way round - southbound trains actually pull into the northbound platform and vice versa (I only noticed this when waiting one day at the actual Notting Hill Gate station!)

That's not to say this isn't a good game, I certainly spent a few hours getting to grips with it and have come to accept it's limitations and would certainly reccomend it to train sim fans. But all the while you can't help thinking if it had been a little better designed, this could be up there with the true greats. As it is it's a good try, but could do better.