5.0 out of 5 stars A sweet tale
Gamma Macintosh's grand estate in the Scottish Highlands is the idyllic home of spunky Fraser Pettigrew, his eccentric, sphagnum moss-loving father, beautiful mother, and all his brothers and sisters. When Fraser is ten, his uncle brings his young fiancé to the meet the family; Fraser loses some of his innocence and the family dynamics begin to change...
Published on 11 Sep 2008 by Kona

Can't rate it as I couldn't play it on my DVD player - such a shame as I was looking forward to watching it
Published 21 months ago by Marilyn Tabbah

5.0 out of 5 stars A sweet tale, 11 Sep 2008
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Based on the childhood of a British media mogul and seen through his young eyes, "My Life" is a very gentle, very real slice-of-life story. Though nothing terribly unusual or exciting happens, we see a real family interacting in a genteel time and place that makes for a very sweet story. Fraser (Robert Norman) is a genuine kid; he wants to know everything at once, often says the wrong thing, and keeps secrets (or so he thinks). Gorgeous Colin Firth gives a winning performance as Fraser's absent-minded but loving father who succumbs to temptation. He's truly a remarkable actor and can convey wonderful emotions with just his eyes. Rosemary Harris ("Aunt May" in Spider-Man [2002]) is the wise old matriarch who rules the family and is the perfect grandma.

I liked the way the characters' dialogue often overlapped each other and at other times seemed mumbled - just like real people speak. There's an utterly genuine feel to the story that just unfolds, simply, and at times uneventfully, and yet we know these times will certainly be treasured when the boy grows up. To call this movie "charming" would be an understatement. If you like quiet, family-oriented stories, you'll enjoy "My Life So Far."

1.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't play it on my DVD player, so can't rate it. Shame!, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: My Life So Far [DVD] [1999] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars My life so far, 15 Aug 2004
Fraser Pettigrew, a child growing up in post World War I Britain, enjoys an eye-opening summer when his French aunt Heloise comes to stay.
Some of the funniest scenes are; when the 3 brothers jump into a freezing
Loch, Naked. Telling his mum she should be a prostitute during a family dinner. And when his dad finds him in the "forbidden" tower, reading (dead) granddads secret stash of "naughty" books, while drinking whisky and smoking a cigar (he's only 10).

1.0 out of 5 stars Why Region 1 from Amazon.UK ?, 16 Jun 2013
I know the DVD is excellent only I cannot see it ! Why do I still receive a DVD I cannot watch in Southern Africa, when I ordered it from Amazon .UK !!! not Amazon . com ( American only ) When the DVD arrived it had a little sticker on the cover saying Region 1 which I now gather is for American viewing ! How do I get a copy of this DVD that I can see in Southern Africa ????? I do still want a copy of this particular production.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 11 April 2013
good ddddddd ddddddd dddddddddd ddddddddd ddddddd ddddddddd ddddddddd dddddddd dddddd dddddddd ddddddd dddddddddddddd dddddddd dddddd ddddddd dddddddddd ddddddddddd ddddd ddddddd

My Life So Far [DVD] [1999] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]