5.0 out of 5 stars Long live the Rain, man!
Published on 27 Sept. 2011 by Miss Chloe S. Batten

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much teamwork
Published on 19 Dec. 2011 by Bill Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Long live the Rain, man!, 27 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Detachment (John Rain Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
John Rain is back as the lethal Japanese-American assassin in Barry Eisler's latest espionage epic. Motivated by personal losses (and the huge amounts of cash on offer) Rain returns to what he does best and accepts a lucrative contract to kill three targets. Unable to carry out the job single-handedly he puts together THE DETACHMENT. His ex-marine buddy and sniper Dox is the only one he can really trust in the group as the other two seem slightly suspect to say the least. The suspense is as good as the action as they battle seemingly insurmountable government forces to terminate their objectives. Uncovering inner turmoil and a political conspiracy on the way the plot thickens and the suspense and pace mount to a gripping conclusion.

The locations and characters are brilliantly described as the team moves from one exotic location to another. The writing is great with a perfect blend of story, action and character development. Rain reminds me of one of Eric Van Lustbader's main characters in that they were both of mixed heritage and were unstoppable assassins, unfortunately I can't remember the name (In my defence I did read the Lustbader book about 25 years ago).

One I honestly couldn't put down, long live the Rain, man!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much teamwork, 19 Dec. 2011
Bill Bell (Paris, France) - See all my reviews
John Rain is a formidable character. When in Tokyo! Nota Bene. The first books were full of Tokyo flavor and Rains violent persona. Then something went terrible wrong. He was placed in other continents and cities. He got a child and a good friend and the plots where far fetched and unbelievable. Now Eisler is back with another book starring John Rain and it suffers the same problem. John Rain has become a team player with four other characters. Eisler writes in first person sometimes(Rain), and in third person and sometimes he goes into their heads and it just doesen't work. The action takes place in USA and the plot is a mainstream, conspiracy one. If Rain and friends doesn't stop the conspiracy, the world can blow up etc... Average. Wished Rain stayed in Tokyo and didn't take on the whole Us army and it's allies, but solved more local problems with his wit and knowhow.

4.0 out of 5 stars No chance of detachment when reading....., 26 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Detachment (John Rain Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
I found The Detachment a great read, finding it both imaginative and authoritative. I was involved emotionally by a well-shaped narrative and found myself able to appreciate the fully dimensional characters despite the reasonable paucity of personal background with relation to the main protaganists. A thoroughly satisfying read which skipped by regardless of whether the chapter was action or personal character negotiation.

Happy, satisfied customer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing plot and location., 29 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Detachment (John Rain Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
Being fair, this was my first look at this author and character, however it took me some time to get into this book. I would read some more of his books and hope I can become acquainted better with his characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth reading, 3 Dec. 2011
I downloaded this book to my kindle not having read any of Barry Eisler books and I am glad I did.The book summary sounded just what I wanted to read and I was not disappointed.There is no preamble with this book; it starts fast and the pace continues throughout.It is a 'violent' book actually as deaths occur matter of factly, but it never feels gratutious.The characters are all killers but their personalities are developed as the story unfolds and an empathy is established with the reader so that as the story twists and turns you forget they are the 'bad' guys.Or were they ever the bad guys?

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, 5 Jan. 2012
I love this book! Having read all Barry Eisler's other Rain and Treven novels I feel I know the characters, and have thoroughly enjoyed the dynamic between them in this book. It's an exciting story, you never know who to trust and you really care about the characters. Add to that Eisler's enjoyable writing style - and it's a winner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Novel, 30 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Detachment (John Rain Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
No point in writing reams about Rain!
To a new reader it would help if you bought Eisler's earlier novels involving Rain but if you read this you will be prompted to do just that.
How he constantly thinks of new assasination methods is beyond me and makes his books unmissable.
Buy, buy, buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning reading by the author, 18 Oct. 2011
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
It'S always a treat to hear a book read by the author. This is especially true of The Detachment written and narrated by Barry Eisler. His voice is deep, strong, clear, and the Japanese words and phrases roll easily from his tongue. Having read and enjoyed all of the John Rain adventures I realized that I thought I knew exactly what he looked like, why, I'd know him anywhere but I didn't have a clue about his voice. Searching my memory I couldn't recall that his voice had ever been described. Now I know. Was I disappointed that this adventure was not performed by a trained actor? Not a whit! I've heard the story told by the real John Rain.

Now, I do have one complaint about a John Rain thriller, which is that everything else in life goes on hold after hearing the opening sentence. Consider this from The Detachment, and you'll see why food and sleep were of little importance from then on: "I hadn't killed anyone in almost four years. But all good things come to an end, eventually."

If anyone had told me a hired assassin would be one of my favorite fictional characters that comment would have been dismissed as rubbish. But this half-Japanese, half-American fellow has completely captivated me. There seems no cruelty in him, simply strength despite the trail of bodies he has left behind. He possesses a sense of honor and, yes, compassion. Rain has been called "the most charismatic assassin since James Bond" - I find none of Bond's polish or debonair qualities but Rain is every bit as intriguing.

With his latest adventure we are privy to more of Rain's thoughts, which gives us greater insights into the man while adding to his mystique. Most fictional assassins I fear; John Rain I trust. Why? It can only be the magic of Eisler's pen.

The Detachment pits Rain against the most frightening enemy imaginable, the Oligarchy, unseen, individually unknown, and often seeming to be a step ahead of him. Thus, he teams with three others, including his unforgettable pal, former Marine sniper Dox. In addition, there is Larison, a man with a quicker than a blink temper and a secret he means to keep, plus Ben Treven whose loyalties are conflicted. Each has killed before and each has a different reason for being involved in trying to avert a coup in America. This quartet has to pit their wits and strengths against the forces of the CIA, presidential hit men, and perhaps each other.

Just when I think there couldn't possibly be a more exciting, impossible-to-put-down Rain story there is and it's The Detachment. Don't miss it!

- Gail Cooke

4.0 out of 5 stars Let the Rain pour over you., 1 Dec. 2011
Roger Cave - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Detachment (John Rain Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
I've read a couple of Eisler's John Rain novels and always enjoy them, and this one was no different.

I don't want to give too much away, but Rain (an assassin) becomes embroilled in a plot, which he seemingly can't escape from. He teams up with the other men (the Detachment as they become), two from the CIA (sort of) and his old friend Dox. The question is, once they get themselves into the plot, can they get themselves back out.

Hugely entertaining, with good pace and not only action, but some thoughtful stuff too. The ending seemed a little subdued, as I felt the story could have continued, but no doubt Eisler may have something in store fro Rain off the back of this book.

It's well worth a look, as Eisler has a good writing style, and Rain is a solid character to base the books around. I woould thoroughly recommend the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My most anticipated book of 2011, 24 Oct. 2011
The Detachment was the one book I was most looking forward to in 2011.

In The Detachment Barry Eisler combines the two worlds of his previous novels - the John Rain novels and the Ben Treven novels and he does a fantastic job.

It has everything you need in a novel, great action, exotic locations and thrills.

You also get to read about tomorrows headlines today.

I can't recommend it enough.

Buy it you won't be disappointed.

The Detachment (John Rain Book 7)