5.0 out of 5 stars Long live the Rain, man!
Published on 27 Sep 2011 by Miss Chloe S. Batten

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much teamwork
Published on 19 Dec 2011 by Bill Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Long live the Rain, man!, 27 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Detachment (John Rain Thrillers) (Kindle Edition)
John Rain is back as the lethal Japanese-American assassin in Barry Eisler's latest espionage epic. Motivated by personal losses (and the huge amounts of cash on offer) Rain returns to what he does best and accepts a lucrative contract to kill three targets. Unable to carry out the job single-handedly he puts together THE DETACHMENT. His ex-marine buddy and sniper Dox is the only one he can really trust in the group as the other two seem slightly suspect to say the least. The suspense is as good as the action as they battle seemingly insurmountable government forces to terminate their objectives. Uncovering inner turmoil and a political conspiracy on the way the plot thickens and the suspense and pace mount to a gripping conclusion.

The locations and characters are brilliantly described as the team moves from one exotic location to another. The writing is great with a perfect blend of story, action and character development. Rain reminds me of one of Eric Van Lustbader's main characters in that they were both of mixed heritage and were unstoppable assassins, unfortunately I can't remember the name (In my defence I did read the Lustbader book about 25 years ago).

One I honestly couldn't put down, long live the Rain, man!

4.0 out of 5 stars No chance of detachment when reading....., 26 Sep 2011
Mindelbrot "Mindelbrot" (Frederiksberg, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Detachment (John Rain Thrillers) (Kindle Edition)
I found The Detachment a great read, finding it both imaginative and authoritative. I was involved emotionally by a well-shaped narrative and found myself able to appreciate the fully dimensional characters despite the reasonable paucity of personal background with relation to the main protaganists. A thoroughly satisfying read which skipped by regardless of whether the chapter was action or personal character negotiation.

Happy, satisfied customer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Let the Rain pour over you., 1 Dec 2011
Roger Cave - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Detachment (John Rain Thrillers) (Kindle Edition)
I've read a couple of Eisler's John Rain novels and always enjoy them, and this one was no different.

I don't want to give too much away, but Rain (an assassin) becomes embroilled in a plot, which he seemingly can't escape from. He teams up with the other men (the Detachment as they become), two from the CIA (sort of) and his old friend Dox. The question is, once they get themselves into the plot, can they get themselves back out.

Hugely entertaining, with good pace and not only action, but some thoughtful stuff too. The ending seemed a little subdued, as I felt the story could have continued, but no doubt Eisler may have something in store fro Rain off the back of this book.

It's well worth a look, as Eisler has a good writing style, and Rain is a solid character to base the books around. I woould thoroughly recommend the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much teamwork, 19 Dec 2011
Bill Bell (Paris, France) - See all my reviews
John Rain is a formidable character. When in Tokyo! Nota Bene. The first books were full of Tokyo flavor and Rains violent persona. Then something went terrible wrong. He was placed in other continents and cities. He got a child and a good friend and the plots where far fetched and unbelievable. Now Eisler is back with another book starring John Rain and it suffers the same problem. John Rain has become a team player with four other characters. Eisler writes in first person sometimes(Rain), and in third person and sometimes he goes into their heads and it just doesen't work. The action takes place in USA and the plot is a mainstream, conspiracy one. If Rain and friends doesn't stop the conspiracy, the world can blow up etc... Average. Wished Rain stayed in Tokyo and didn't take on the whole Us army and it's allies, but solved more local problems with his wit and knowhow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome return of Rain, 19 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Detachment (John Rain Thrillers) (Kindle Edition)
Firstly, I am in complete agreement with the previous reviewer - the price for this book is a steal so get it while you can!

I don't normally put reviews up but as Mr Eisler tweeted me I couldn't not do it :)

I am a big fan of his work but like other fans I have missed Rain in the past few books (which have helped to build up to this point) and have been waiting impatiently since Rain and Dox's names were mentioned at the end of Inside Out. The Detachment takes all of the elements from his books and mixes them up in a cocktail of suspense and violence which keeps you on the edge of your seat. I liked the Treven character from the last 2 books but Larison made a bigger impression and his dark edge is evident throughout this book. The short stories released earlier this year are also name checked, and I can't help but feel that he has set a few other new characters up for future short stories too. Dox, as ever, is a hoot and he also makes a big impression on the story (I loved how he was described in canine terms :)

Back to John Rain: it was great to be back inside his head and to see him evolve so much from the initial loner, to getting a partner, a gf (then loosing her) and then a team. Personally I thought Barry had written him into a corner in the last Rain book (he didn't know if he wanted to kill anymore, or settle down with Delihla) and has taken a few years out to develop other characters and develop a convincing way to bring him back to his life - the shark swims again!

Do read Inside Out, Fault Line and the shorts, The Lost Coast and Paris is a Bitch, they are essential reading.

My only gripe was that, out of the 4 characters, Treven is the most underused which is a bit of a shame but that didn't distract from the story - can't wait for the next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, 5 Jan 2012
I love this book! Having read all Barry Eisler's other Rain and Treven novels I feel I know the characters, and have thoroughly enjoyed the dynamic between them in this book. It's an exciting story, you never know who to trust and you really care about the characters. Add to that Eisler's enjoyable writing style - and it's a winner!

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth reading, 3 Dec 2011
I downloaded this book to my kindle not having read any of Barry Eisler books and I am glad I did.The book summary sounded just what I wanted to read and I was not disappointed.There is no preamble with this book; it starts fast and the pace continues throughout.It is a 'violent' book actually as deaths occur matter of factly, but it never feels gratutious.The characters are all killers but their personalities are developed as the story unfolds and an empathy is established with the reader so that as the story twists and turns you forget they are the 'bad' guys.Or were they ever the bad guys?

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Novel, 30 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Detachment (John Rain Thrillers) (Kindle Edition)
No point in writing reams about Rain!
To a new reader it would help if you bought Eisler's earlier novels involving Rain but if you read this you will be prompted to do just that.
How he constantly thinks of new assasination methods is beyond me and makes his books unmissable.
Buy, buy, buy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing plot and location., 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Detachment (John Rain Thrillers) (Kindle Edition)
Being fair, this was my first look at this author and character, however it took me some time to get into this book. I would read some more of his books and hope I can become acquainted better with his characters.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tired and badly written, 26 April 2013
M. Double "Stroganoff" (Europe) - See all my reviews
I LOVED the first few John Rain books, but this one is just tired and the writing is lazy. If I read one more "Dox chuckled" I would have tossed the book for good. I finished it... just. sorry Barry, sharpen up.

ARRAY(0xac9f7abc)