5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended
This is probably the best book on clinical examination tests I have ever read.
It is relevant and useful for Orthopaedics surgeons, Musculoskeletal Clinicians, Therapists and also undergraduates.
Published on 24 Mar 2012 by Lennard Funk

1.0 out of 5 stars Book
Delivery was very good but the edge of the book was broken off and damaged which did not happen in transit. Needed the item for Uni project so didn't return, felt it was expensive for such a small book.
Published 10 months ago by Helen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 24 Mar 2012
Lennard Funk "Len" (UK) - See all my reviews
This is probably the best book on clinical examination tests I have ever read.
The authors have managed to accurately and concisely describe all the common clinical examination tests of the musculoskeletal system. They have clearly done very thorough research on the origins of the tests, precise descriptions and accuracy. They have managed to compact that eloquently into a very easy-to-read pocket book.
I have always managed to find inaccuracies in most clinical examination books, but I have struggled to find any in this one.
I have bought both the pocketbook and Kindle versions.
It essential reading for our Postgraduate Orthopaedics Masters Programme at Salford University.

Lennard Funk

5.0 out of 5 stars Osteopathic view, 22 Feb 2012
The world of musculoskeletal tests in my experience as an osteopath, is disparate and confusing to say the least. In trying to make sense of it, I think the way the authors have taken on this task and wrestled with it to produce a text that is logical, intelligent, thorough and easy to use, is not only a stroke of genius but really has to be applauded. Clearly, a huge amount of work has gone into producing this handy pocket book, not only in sifting through the mass of research out there to synthesize what is most relevant, but also in finding the most beneficial way of availing that information for practical useage. As such 'Special Tests in Musculoskeletal Examination' is a definitive guide to everything the clinician needs at his/her fingertips to unravel the complex world of MSK tests, and be able to confidently use the ones which are going to be most useful for each individual patient.

I particularly like the 'Clinical context' for each test which give fuller explanations of what is happening with the tests and the rationale for them, backed up by research; and also the 'Clinical tips' and 'Expert Opinion' so that overall it becomes far more than just a 'how to' book.

All of us involved in the musculoskeletal care of patients - GP's, physiotherapists, osteopaths, chiropractors etc are going to find this book invaluable. Thank you and well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for placement!, 20 Aug 2011
This review is from: Special Tests in Musculoskeletal Examination: An evidence-based guide for clinicians (Physiotherapy Pocketbooks) (Kindle Edition)
I was after a book that would guide me through an outpatients placement, and this has been the book I was looking for! With each test explained, how to do it, what it tests, and what a positive result means is perfect, and as each test is backed up with clinical evidence/the latest research you can really impress your senior physio! Evidence based tests & pictures showing hand placement are vital - this should be a mandatory book for any physiotherapy course!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little book, 18 Mar 2011
The authors have compiled a book that fills a gap in the current musculoskeletal literature. This unique little book is a must have for all physiotherapists and GP's. It clearly describes all the key tests for the peripheral joints and grades them regarding their evidence based. There are so many clinical tests out there that this area can be confusing, however this evidence based book provides clarity and what I found especially useful is that it puts the tests into clinical context. This book provides much more than just a list of tests and helps with the readers clinical reasoning and overall understanding. As an Extended Scope Physiotherapist I would strongly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bsc Sports Therapy student, 28 Nov 2010
Excellent book, very clear, good up to date text, with good explanations of tests and photos taking you through them in a easy to follow manner, it also explains and rates the tests with up to date references which is excellent, especially if you have to find references on tests for instance. The book also grades how good a test is for certain situations. All in all excellent, worth the money, small so you can take it with you on pratice, or for a nice read on the train....I took mine on holiday and read it by the pool!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooray!, 5 Aug 2010
As an experienced musculoskeletal physiotherapist and 'clinical specialist' I wanted to write and say what an absolute genius idea for a text this is, and it is brilliant!!

Compiling and summarising the evidence that is out there for many peripheral MSK tests is such a great (and long overdue) idea, really helpful for the clinician. I have enjoyed re-using tests I had forgotten about (Yergasons - which it seems from the review has gained kudos since I learned about it) and clarified ones that I use all the time! I really like the pocketbook style and the clear way the authors have indicated the Liklihood Ratio (LR) rating, this is a combined measure of the tests sensitivity and specificity. The other physios in my department really like it too, and I have to keep a close eye on mine top stop it going walk about!
It has been useful to have the supporting references for the various tests listed also; the Sports Med Dr and I were trying to determine if MR or MR arthrogram was the investigation of choice for FAI, and then were able to order a particular reference to have a look at! Brilliant.

A good size easy to use text, useful for experienced physios, and newly qualifieds alike, I think this will become a seminal physiotherapy text.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first class pocket size book for all Physios & GPs, 25 Nov 2010
As a clinical specialist working in musculoskeletal,I find this pocket size book is very exciting and useful. I feel this is highly relevant to my clinical work and I learn so much from it. I would like to write and recommend this book to all physiotherapists who work in musculoskeletal and GP in special interest. I am impressed with the effort the two authors, Paul & Alison. Also studying as a PhD student, I also particularly like and impressed with their extensive literature review and the overall view on reliability and specificity of the tests. For physiotherapists or GPs who do not familar with reserach or critical analysis on literatures will find this book particular useful! The authors have included start rating, to indicate the most clinical useful and reliable diagnostic test. This gives us some excellent guidances on what valid and reliable tests can be used to aid our accurate diagnostic.

Many musculoskelatal conditions in the primary care are soley relied on the clinical diagnosis of primary clinicians and the treatment plan is often formulated from there without routine radiological investigations. I feel this poscket size book could certainly enhance the accuracy of our diagnosis and our diagnositic skill in practice.

Personally, I really enjoy reading this book. It has became my bedtime read lately and the trouble is I couldn't fall asleep afteward as It is simply very good and I would say this is the first class!

Well done!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book, 17 Mar 2014
I would recommend this book to any MSK physio or physio student. I have had a copy for some time and have found it very useful and informative, so I bought another copy for my recently qualified daughter who was starting an msk job. It is small so easy to have at hand. Clear and precisest instructions on the various tests and the outcome of the test.

5.0 out of 5 stars A students must have, 21 Nov 2014
As a BSc sports therapy student in my final year on placement this book seemed to be one worth getting. All the injury special tests are well illustrated and explained which makes it a helpful book to have when you just quickly want to refer back to something. The size of the book means you can take it anywhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really compact and practical :), 24 Sep 2013
Great idea to have special tests in one compact book. Nicely detailed. May consider the ebook version as would be handy to have on phone

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›