4.0 out of 5 stars Useful piece of kit
Published 14 months ago by Peter Wintle

1.0 out of 5 stars I was given one of these countdown timers as a ...
I was given one of these countdown timers as a present less than 3 months ago, but it stopped working, so as I couldn't open it up to see what was wrong, I ordered a new one, which arrived, but that has stopped working, I have had it 3 days, and it has shorted out all the wiring in the box, now I have to call out an electrician to find out why...
My advice is don't...
Published 1 hour ago by highgrade59

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful piece of kit, 21 May 2013
Peter Wintle (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ANSMANN AES-1 Zero Watt Energy Saving Timer Plug (Accessory)
This is a useful device. I often have to charge various pieces of kit which are left unattended, so it does save a small amount in electricity costs but, more importantly, it does help to prevent over charging. Selectable times are 15mins, 30mins, and 1, 2, 4 and 8 hours, indicated by a row of LEDs on the top surface. The only thing I would say is that the single control button seems a bit flimsy and doesn't have a particularly positive click action to it, however so far it seems to have worked fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 10 Sep 2013
M. C. Wheadon "Mark Wheadon" (Canterbury, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
Compact enough (unlike the Belkin), and works great. Multiple presses keep doubling the time it will be on, and if you go all the way round to zero again it will switch off. The LED even flashes for a while before it turns off -- to give you time to press the button again if you need more time. Great stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful timer, 19 Jan 2014
I bought this because the drying sensor on our tumble dryer no longer works, and the wife does not like frying the clothes. At least with this we can control how long the dryer will go for so that it will not over dry everything. I have also used it for charging the phone over night, so that it switches off after a couple of hours, and does not degrade the battery further by remaining on charge until I remember where I have left it. This will also be particularly useful with my rechargeable drills, since I always forget that I have left them on charge in the garage. And being able to select different charging times from 15 mins up to 8 hours (charging time doubles each time you press the green button), is really useful. I have given it four stars rather than five, since the insertion force for the plug is way too high, and will be a problem for those who do not have a good grip. Otherwise a really useful product, which seems well made.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but does what you want., 28 Nov 2013
M. Babb - See all my reviews
I have previously been using a Belkin timer to control small electric heaters in an airing cupboard, but that unit only has three settings, the maximum of which is 6 hours. As this unit goes from 15 minutes up to 8 hours, I thought it would be more flexible.

It certainly works as expected, but the control isn't as easy to use. The Belkin timer had a switch on the side to set the delay, and then one big friendly button on the top. This unit has a smaller button, and you have to press it quite firmly to work. Every time you use it you also have to press the button the required number of times to set the delay again. So that's 5 presses for 8 hours. It may not seem much of an inconvenience, which it isn't, but it's certainly not a perfect design. If the plug is higher up (as in my case in the cupboard) it's also harder to see on the top to know what the delay you set is.

If none of the issues I've raised bother you, then this is a worthwhile purchase (although the Belkin one is cheaper!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, reliable, cheap!, 23 July 2013
Mr. Keith Stott "kasandco" (gatwick) - See all my reviews
I spent ages trying to find a timer with multiple settings. Most seem to be fixed 30-minute timers. I needed something that would switch off a battery charger after a certain period (possibly 30 minutes, possibly an hour, possibly 2 hours, depending on the state of the battery) - because the batteries (Li-ion) apparently should not be left on charge after having charged fully - "Don't leave it on all night" being the warning. I'm not keen on watching paint dry and this seemed to fall into a similar category! So - yes - the Ansmann does just what I want. I bought 2 of them and now I can go away and do something else in the meantime...

4.0 out of 5 stars Much needed device, 19 Oct 2013
Does the job well. A device hard to find but very usefull in a home where certain items get left on.

5.0 out of 5 stars A time saver, 19 Nov 2013
I bought a Belkin which I also liked as it is more rugged in design.
I like the Ansmann for one reason : it gives more time elapse options.
You may have to press the green button at the top hard to get it to register but it certainly does the job.
I bought one for myself and gave one to my sister. It is handy if you have to work with an iron; especially when relatives call and a 5 minute conversation turned to 1 hour !.
Good product and delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Energy Saver timer plug, 27 Sep 2013
T. Linden-Fermor (Wiltshire UK) - See all my reviews
Great device! - I wonder looking at its design just how long we will have to wait before this is just a plug on the end of the cord or our TV or iron etc - as it is just a bit bigger than a standard plug. I am using this with a clothes dryer (see my other reviews) that has no timer built in (Grrr) and it works really well. The green plastic bit that you plug you device plug into (does that make sense to you?) is really too tight and makes removing or indeed inserting the device plug really difficult. Can imagine an older person never being able to remove their device to plug anything else into it!! Needs some WD40 I suspect. Other than that, it works well and is really quite simple to use - it comes with a 3 year warranty according to the tiny instruction paper- so keep your receipt !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device at a great price!, 25 July 2014
This is a great device. I was looking for something that would automatically switch off after supplying power to my tablet and phone. I looked at several products, but they had such poor reviews that I decided to give up. Then I noticed this plug! While it does not do exactly what I want, it is near enough and gives me some peace of mind regarding overcharging batteries. Unless you have fingers like a jackhammer the button on the top ought not be a problem. Yes it does feel slightly flimsy, but I don't think it is a big issue. This plug is extremely easy to operate. I will be buying another one soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smashing Energy Saver, 18 July 2012
For the first time in 5 years my energy consumption went up, which I took as a personal challenge to get it down again.
Along with buying remote controlled sockets, I searched everywhere and found this for charging my phone. Unlike the dial operated 24 hour on/off timers (or the even more complex digital ones) this is EXTREMELY simple to use. It didn't even come with instructions but as it only had one button, it wasn't hard to work out, although it did take a minute to discover you need to press and HOLD the green button to set it. Also it is easily adjustable - I can set it to different times depending upon how drained my battery is - and doesn't use any energy when plugged in but not in use.
There was no picture on the website, but a quick Google search confirmed that this was the product I was looking for. Will by again as soon as I find something else which could benfit from a timed power supply.