5.0 out of 5 stars Essential album, great sound quality, superb bonus tracks - I love it!, 8 Oct 2012
Mr. D "Mr. D" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Guilty (Audio CD)
This review is for: Guilty Yarbrough & Peoples (BBR CD)
Since being announced for release in 2011, the release date for this album moved back and back to the point where I wondered if it ever would be released. So it is great to finally have this CD in my hands. Was it worth the wait? Absolutely! This is premium 80's Soul/Funk with polished production, superb vocals and great melodies. If you enjoy artists like S.O.S. Band, Midnight Star, and BB&Q Band, this will be right up your street. This is the thirteenth BBR CD I have purchased and as usual the sound quality is excellent and the booklet is well-written and informative, complete with photographs of the original record sleeves and labels. I very much appreciate how much work goes into these releases and I am very grateful indeed.

This album was already great (it is arguably Yarbrough & Peoples best album), but the generous bonus tracks make this even better with the disc jam-packed to over 79 minutes. The inclusion of the USA-only single "Don't Stop The Feeling" is particularly welcome because it was never on an album before. I love the interpolation of "Don't Stop The Music" as the track progresses. It's a nice throwback reminder of their biggest hit and you can feel how proud of that song they are. It's fantastic to also have the 12" mixes. I can now cross "I Wouldn't Lie" off my "wants list". I really hope BBR will also release "The Two Of Us" and "Heartbeats" on CD, particularly the latter because 12" mixes of "Heartbeats" and "Feels So Good" have never been released on CD before. Fingers crossed.

Often when looking back to artists who were popular in the 80's I find a tragic story of how their lives fell apart in some way or they died. But the story for Yarbrough & Peoples is thankfully more inspiring. The year after this (their final) album was released, they got married to each other and over 25 years later they are still together. They still perform and now mentor other artists. That warms my heart, as does this brilliant album. Thanks BBR.

Amazon's track list is wrong. Here is what is actually on the CD:

01) Guilty (12" Version/Album Version) (6:01)
02) I Wouldn't Lie (5:02)
03) Wrapped Around Your Finger (4:30)
04) Let The Music Play On (4:26)
05) Anytime (4:43)
06) I'll Give Anything To Have You Back (3:52)
07) Everything (4:40)
08) Who Is She (3:55)
09) A Closer Love Affair (4:04)
Bonus Tracks:
10) Don't Stop The Feeling (7:00)
11) Special (from 'Penitentiary III' O.S.T.) (4:46)
12) Guilty (7" Version) (4:08)
13) I Wouldn't Lie (12" Version) (7:01)
14) Wrapped Around Your Finger (12" Version) (5:23)
15) Don't Stop The Feeling (Club Mix) (12" Version) (7:40)

I have also reviewed and recommend Yarbrough & Peoples "Be A Winner"

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless masterpiece, 11 Dec 2012
This review is from: Guilty (Audio CD)
I cannot really improve on Mr D's review - I also was waiting ages for BBR to release this classic album on CD and so glad that it finally saw the light of day with all its fantastic extra tracks.

I used to own this album back in 85 and it has aged very well - no duff tracks in this set in fact. A perfect blend of melodic synth-driven disco-funk, with many essential tracks in my favourite "hot tempo" style, as the genre was known back in the day.

Great to have the seminal singles here in their 12" versions too - especially "Guilty" and "I Wouldn't Lie To You".

There's some special hypnotic quality that Yarbrough & Peoples have to their music - definitely a CD worth grabbing while you can.

Guilty
Guilty by Yarbrough & Peoples (Vinyl)