on 3 February 2009
I don't paint in watercolours, but I bought this anyway in the hope that there would be something in it I could use. I was not wrong. This is the best art instruction book I have bought so far, and the hand and foot tutorials really helped me nail what has up to now been a problem area for me, she doesn't go into all the itsy bitsy little bones and muscles but gives a simple demonstration using block shapes and lines which I found very easy to understand and apply to my own art. The walk-throughs are great, but it's the little side notes and tips that really make this book worth having - such as how foliage lies on a tree, how hair looks dry, wet, underwater, how clothes flow in the wind etc.
I would highly recommend this book even if you don't use watercolours, a lot of the lessons can be applied to any media.
Although I think I may give watercolours a go now....
on 2 June 2009
This book will appeal to anyone who loves the "Magical" fantasy imagery. I found it to be well designed and laid out. The natural progression of improving skill levels was well done and obviously tested out along the way. The sections on drawing - Hands, Feet, Poses and Wings where excellent. They pinpointed the basic structural aspects, making these problem areas so much easier and comfortable to get right. The artist and writer of the book's images are inspirational, and that is part of it, to get you bursting to have a go. I found the " with Watercolor " in the title misleading in a way. You could learn so much from this book on the subject of Angel, Faery & Mermaid Worlds using any media. I have found the drawings I have done, once scanned into an art programme, allow digital painting. There are about 13 pages in (chapter 1) about Watercolour materials and techniques. There is the odd pointer about Watercolour along the way afterwards. It is the delightful illustrations and tips relative to producing quality work, composition and flow, style and believability of fantasy realms that is the strength of this book. If you have any "Art Materials" laying around unused and lack inspiration? After a browse through this book you will be getting them out and enjoying your own beautiful fantasy art!
on 21 May 2008
This book has all the basics of techniques (very clearly explained), and plenty of step-by-step demonstrations. It is crammed with stunning artwork, very original, and totally inspirational! My only problem was deciding which fabulous creature to try first (the Mermaids won).
on 21 May 2010
What a great surprise it was for me, this book!
It's even better than i thought.
It's a very big book (175 pages).
Beggins like all the others, with useful tips on how to use watercolor, brushes, mixing materials to get diferent effects (like salt).
Then the author provides step by step images along with useful tips of how the efects where acomplished, the colors used to get just the right skin tone, the right environment and so on.
Also provides tips and drawings for the face, body dynamics, wings, clothing, adornments...
It is a very complete book that is very useful to learn (i'm sure you'll learn many things, at least i did) and also as a great inspiration.
Excelent book!!
on 25 October 2008
This is an amazing book for learning watercolours and fantasy drawing with beautiful illustrations I just want to look at all day!
on 19 July 2013
This Book is one of the best book I ever bought.
Clear descriptions, many useful tips are throughout the book. It has many step-by-step demonstrations and great, beautiful sketching ideas. It's full of wonderful, multicolored original artworks. A book for the ones who wants to learn watercolors and enter in a magic, mystic world. Highly recommended.
on 25 August 2012
In my eternal quest to hone my painting/drawing skills i have been buying and been disappoined with most of the 'how to' books. this is a delightful exception. there are loads of step by step, straight forward examples of the ethereal creatures and their worlds. the idea of layering and building up colour was simply illustrated in one of the first few pages and i got it! can't wait to work my way through the book and build up a data base that i can call on as i work in my projects. Thanks Stephanie. Also have the Dreamscapes Myth and Magic: Create Legendary Creatures and Characters in Watercolour which is equally helpful :)
on 4 August 2013
This book was full of great advice. It guides you clearly through use of watercolour techniques which are useful for novices and more advanced artists, as well as suggesting how you can apply the techniques to painting fantasy art. Easy to follow step-by-step instructions and beautiful artwork to look at.
on 28 September 2015
I bought a couple of these watercolour books after discovering her work on a tarot app I downloaded from google store, called shadowscapes. I really love her work and the books are works of art in themselves. My only negative criticism would be that towards the end you are not guided through all parts of the paintings. It is also frustrating that the introductions to both books I purchased are almost identical. I understand the reasoning but would be nice to update them and add different pictures and perhaps a few advanced tips and some trouble shooting e.g. why the alcohol rubbing solution splatter or salt sprinkling may not be effective in certain conditions. Substitutes for rubbing alcohol (difficult to find in UK). Anyway basically just additional info as i suspect many purchasers will be buying more than one if they like Stephanie's work.
on 12 November 2010
A Wonderful book. Full of beautiful, intricate and unique illustrations aswell as techniques on how to achieve these styles of painting and creating your own ideas. I would highly recommend this.