4.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, Bad Service

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly a great game, I've given up trying to find out
Published on 3 Jan 2012 by Jolly Green Giant

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, Bad Service, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Battlefield 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
The game itself is very good, the multiplayer is especially enjoyable and makes you feel very immersed in the fighting with lots of action happening everywhere. However, you are required to use the Origin service to register your game and use Battlelog (web browser based menu for the game). Although you can minimise Origin and close Battlelog once you have started playing it does get in the way of actually loading up the game longer than it should be.

BEWARE: Although you are buying a physical copy there will be about 7GB of updates waiting for you to download so if you do not have a good internet connection for downloading like I do I suggest either planning some time to let the download do its thing or give the game a skip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as BF2, 18 Mar 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Battlefield 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I have played for over 60 hours of bf 3 and I now think I can give the game an honest review of my experience.

Technical issues:
When I first bought it (Nov 2011) I found that the game crashed an awful lot. I had bought a new graphics card (560 ti) and thought that i would be able to run the game comfortably however I soon realised the lack of memory and poor cpu was one of reasons that it crashed. Since the initial release DICE have brought out patches to fix some of the issues and I've upgraded my system. So now the game runs smoothly, no crashes in multiplayer and the game looks great.
I don't have a problem with origin as i also use steam which is a similar service so I wouldn't worry too much about this, however I'm probably a bit too trusting so the issues others have pointed out may be correct.

Graphics/sound:
Superb, am running it on ultra settings.Detructible environments and special effects give the game a really immersive feel.

Gameplay:
I haven't really played the single player much, looks good though. The multiplayer has always been the focus for the series.

The unique selling part is the variety of vehicles, everything from jets to dune buggies. For the most part they are balanced. Even tanks are vulnerable, so it takes skill to make the most of them. For jets you need to have someone in your team who is also good in jets, same as helis. If you don't have air support then it can get one sided in the more open maps.

When you start off it can be a bit frustrating as you given some truly terrible guns, however if you persevere and make sure you unlock the famas gun from the first assault assignment things will be easier. Also with the engineer class once you get the claymores you can score a lot of kills against vehicles.

For me the maps are good but could be better like in bf2, I have the back to karkand expansion pack which has the best maps from bf2 and they are still the best in my opinion. The rush mode is good however 64 player conquest is where the heart of bf3 is. The game still requires teamwork as you will need to be part of a squad to get anywhere in terms of spawning on your teammates and offering support (med packs, defib, ammo).

The only downside I find are snipers and cheaters. This will be limited if you find the many good servers there are and save them to your favourites. Cheaters will often be kicked and snipers are useless if you're in a tank or behind a wall.

Even with the negatives I would say that bf3 is still the best team shooter you can get.

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly a great game, I've given up trying to find out, 3 Jan 2012
This review is from: Battlefield 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I didn't manage to get this for Christmas so I thought I'd buy it for myself. Amazon sent this game in typical quick fashion and once I sat down after dinner at about 6:30 I thought I'd get it installed and have a go. I'd seen all the negative comments about Origin etc but chose to ignore them as I've lived with Steam and gotten pretty used to it, how hard can it be? I don't really have a problem with people having my details, facebook does so why nag about it?

Except for one thing.......

A bit of software, designed not to stop piracy as that could be done in a much an easier way, but really to get you logged on to their own store and website in the hope that you buy stuff and increase their webhits. This software STOPS you playing the game you've just purchased and you have perfect reason to get annoyed.

I'll list the procedure of trying to play the game as it happened as it's easier to follow:
6:30 - insert disc, run autoplay, install.
6:32 - accept dozens of terms and agreements, accept to install Origin
6:33 - Origin requires an update before install REQUIRED to play Battlefield 3 it says. - Update begins
6:35 - Update complete, re-accept dozens of terms and agreements
6:37 - Create login account for origin
6:39 - Says you've created the account, then won't let you log in, saying password or username is incorrect
6:41 - Try and register again. It says username is not available now. Try logging in again
6:44 - Still not logging in. Go and watch a recorded program on sky for half hour
7:15 - Now logs on. Now have to set privacy details, tell it not to connect to the entire world and tell them I'm playing a game, accept another 10 T&Cs
7:18 - Now says I need an update for the game (4Gb!!!!!! - My brother in law down the road gets 0.3Mb/s imagine him trying to play this)
7:20 - Begin download, go and play chess with the wife (seriously, I haven't played chess in years and there was nothing on TV, the internet is now maxed out so I thought 'why not'?)
10:35 - Download complete. Installing
10:47 - Insert Disc 2
10:52 - Install Complete. Origin crashes
10:55 - Origin not responding to forced closing. Locks machine (my machine hasn't crashed in approx 6 months - and that was during heavy photoshop use - even then it recovered)
11:00 - Reset machine after giving up waiting
11:05 - Machine reset, launched Origin. Hit 'Play Game!'
11:05 - Origin now launches 'Battlefield Website'
11:07 - Still trying to work out why it's launching a website rather than the game
11:10 - Website tells me I need to download a plugin 'Gamemanager' to my browser to play my game
11:15 - Plugin eventually installs after sitting there like a lemon for 5 minutes. I now feel violated.
11:20 - Game launches but I'm tired and extremely hacked off. I get to the menu screen where it says 'do not power off during autosave icon' - realise that's because it's blatantly a console port and go to shut down my PC in annoyance but instead....
11:30 - Begin writing my frustration on this site at the fact I can't play a game for 5 hours because of pointless updates and logins of software I don't need or want

I can hand on heart say that's what I've been through this evening and I'm royally pi**ed off. I really don't care what the game is actually like. If you can't play the sodding thing why would you even care?

11:50 - Bed

1.0 out of 5 stars Origin.., 28 Oct 2011
This review is from: Battlefield 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Honestly EA, what are you up to now? Why do you continue to give me reasons to not buy the games you publish? I could put up with the shabby customer support but

Don't get me wrong, the developers at DICE have made a very good game, an amazing game but one the PC version you must install EA's 'Origin' client described by EA 'Origin is where you go to find the best that EA has to offer. The hottest games. Exclusive content. Early access. And more.' That 'And more.' part must mean where they have access to all your personal data. Yes you read that correctly, YOUR personal data, you didn't read the End User License Agreement? Well in-case you hadn't it clearly states:

"You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services" Then goes on to say "EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you."

This is a disgrace! Why do they need access to such information? I don't know about you but i don't want this game that badly. Sorry EA, you just lost yourself a customer, cancelled all my pre-orders published by you because it seems my money on its own is no longer good enough that you have had to sink to selling my personal information.

Sayonara EA!

TL;DR

EA can transmit your personal data and pass it on to third-party services. There's no way to opt out of this 'feature' that 'betters' your gaming experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, runs fine., 17 July 2012
This review is from: Battlefield 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I bought this game a few weeks ago, i previously played this game on the Xbox but have now switched to PC gaming. The game is great and i can only say what others have posted already. One thing i don't like is how people are saying the game is bad due to the hate of Origin, it is not part of the game so don't base your reviews on it ! A friend has been having random disconnect issues, this mustn't be the games fault, i haven't been affected. Overall, i enjoy this game for what it is, the Battlelog service is not the best but the Gameplay is great.

1.0 out of 5 stars WOULD NOT RECOMMEND BECAUSE OF ORIGIN PRODUCT REGISTRATION/AUTHENTICATION ISSUES, 16 Nov 2011
MR JEAN MARC HAREL (Geneva, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battlefield 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I purchased the PC DVD version of Battlefield 3 and cannot register the game via Origin (EA's version of Steam) as I constantly get "Server Busy" error messages with both the Origin "Shop" and "Validation" features for 2 weeks now. I spent 1hr20 minutes on the phone with EA's help desk who referred me back to my ISP provider. The issue obviously lies with Origin as I am able to use other programs such as "Steam", Battlefield Bad Company 2 Online, Call of Duty WF3 Online etc... without any issues.
This is regrettable as I have purchased and have been a big fan of all previous Battlefields (i.e. BF1942, BF2, BFV, BF2142 and BFBC2) since 2002.
I have therefore rated Battlefield 3 ONE STAR (the lowest possible score, else the score would have been ZERO) as I have purchased the Game on Disc and am not able to use it even for single player.
I shall update the comments and rating if there are positive developments. Until then I cannot recommend you purchase this game.
I hope this was useful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Spyware (PC) or inferior graphics (consoles) - BF 3 disappoints., 17 Feb 2013
Griesmayer (Wien, Österreich) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Battlefield 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Battlefield 3 - oh yes, we're talking about *that* game, aren't we? THE game! The best FPS game in the whole, wide world, right? Of course! Why not? After all, this game's graphics put Crysis and Crysis 2 to shame. The game, whose E3 press conference video caused all our jaws to collectively drop in awe. The game that so many of us had been so eagerly waiting for, and for such a long time. Ever since that first teaser trailer was released, I was hyped for this game. I was on the edge of my seat - but as we all know, trailers and reality are two entirely different things. When was the last time you saw an advertisement for a product and what they showed turned out to be real? Since childhood we should have actually learned that ads on tv are not to be taken seriously, but it seems we keep forgetting this life lesson. The same applies to game trailers and the final product, in many cases.

ORIGIN:
Battlefield 3's game trailers looked so uber-awesome that I actually should have known something fishy was going on behind the scenes. But I was too blind to realize it. This lengthy review will shed some light on this. You see, Battlefield 3 is the flagship posterboy of EA's newest miscreant, a digital game distribution platform that is supposed to become a competitor to Valve's steam client. Similar to Macs and PCs - you think the Mac has a chance of knocking the PC off the market? Realizing how popular steam had gotten over the years (primarily because it was the only digital game distribution client and had no competitors), EA realized far too late that there is much money to be made here, and launched Origin when the community had already grown accustomed to steam. The first step they took was to deny Valve the rights to sell Battlefield 3 on steam. Since EA's minions knew full well that the international gaming community was eagerly anticipating the release of Battlefield 3, and that nothing would deter them from purchasing this game, they went full steam ahead with their Origin promotion and played every dirty trick they had up their sleeve, since they knew full well that Battlefield 3 would sell either way. And so, we got Origin. And its FBI-esque EULA, which violates EU law by allowing EA to access and read not only your game files, but any file you have stored on your PC if they so wish, under the pretense of "scanning your hard drive for EA games that can be added to the Origin client". Don't believe me? Did you even read the Origin's EULA before you clicked "I accept"? No? Thought so. They can browse through your family photos or tax return or furrie pr0nz because that is exactly what Origin is - it is a program that has the same level of access into your computer like the worst malwares, viruses, trojans or backdoor programs do. Origin can peruse your personal documents at EA's whim. And if it wasn't for the German gaming community who spotted this first, you would be oblivious that this is even possible for EA's program to do.

It's funny how EA has denied this on multiple occasions, reiterating the same old phrases such as "we do not have access to your personal stuff; we take user privacy seriously." etc., but do you think all these allegations simply come from a bunch of paranoid gamers? I hardly think so. And why would any EA employee admit something along the lines of: "yeah, it is true, our program can do this, but don't worry we don't use that feature." It would indeed reflect EA's standing (i.e. there is nothing to worry about), but admitting it would still cause them catastrophic PR-damage. So they won't. Anyways, enough Origin talk, you and I have both installed it, so let's move on. There are a host of other issues that ruin this game for me.

BATTLELOG:
Battlefield 3 is pretty much the only game so far (MoH: Warfighter has joined its ranks now) where you don't actually get to launch the game, when you launch the game - know what I mean? Double-clicking the Battlefield 3 exe instead opens up your main browser (for me, its firefox) and heads to the battlelog website. A freakin website!!!!! That's what I get for purchasing this game and trying to launch it - my firefox opens up! I don't know about you, but this completely destroys the gameplay experience for me. It's one of the fundamental things about actually buying a video game instead of going out and being social, you know - some of those small things that you simply need to receive that make you happy; it is why you are doing these things in the first place. From that feeling of your game finally arriving in the post to the breaking of its plastic seal, to the smell you take as you open the case, to the feeling when you admire the game DVD and then insert it into your drive and let it install....granted, a lot of that is lost in this day and age of digital distribution, e.g. if you buy the game online from Origin (or a cd key site), but even then, some of that feeling of satisfaction remains when you first launch the game and it opens up into fullscreen and then you admire the main menu, and head over to options to set everything to native screen resolution, high quality textures etc., and then click on the Campaign (or Multiplayer) button and browse through the menus there for the first time. At least - this is the satisfaction I get from Call of Duty (and pretty much all other) games, and also from the last Battlefield game (Bad Company 2). But now, when I launch Battlefield 3 and it opens up my firefox, I think you understand what I am trying to get at here - that feeling of "being *in* the game, away from your desktop" is lost.

And if you still insist on launching the game directly, then you can do so by setting Origin to offline mode. But the in-game menu only has Singleplayer and Options, so there is no way for you to choose Multiplayer (even if it would then minimize the game and open up your browser and ask you to set Origin to online mode). Nope. To access Multiplayer, you need to go back into the Origin client's online mode, but then clicking on your BF 3 will again take you right to the battlelog browser (from where you can of course also launch the Campaign). It's these shenanigans that utterly disgust me.

DICE could have made Battlelog a built-in feature of BF 3, so that it would show up in-game instead of being internet browser-based. It surely would have been possible. Just look at Need for Speed's Autolog. That feature is already a couple years (and couple games) old and it doesn't take you to your internet browser at all - it is built into the games itself. DICE could have done the same with Battlelog, but they didn't. And that's what makes me so mad. Battlelog is a stat-tracking service, with social-networking built in (I can't hear the latter word anymore, it has gotten so annoying. If I want social networking, I'll log on to my facebook.) And I don't have time or the interest to track and compare all my stats. No need to force it down our throats. I would find it equally obnoxious if MW 3 took me to the COD ELITE website every time I tried to play online, but thankfully that's not the case, so now you know how EA has messed up and Activision hasn't - at least in this regard. Both are extremely greedy companies, but EA goes one step further.

GRAPHICS:
Now we all know that this is the main selling point for Battlefield 3. Before I begin, let me tell you that my system is almost 4 years old. But back then, it really was the best in town. I have a 64-bit Windows 7 OS, quad core CPU running at 3.0GHz, 8 Gigs of RAM, and a Nvidia GTX 295 as a GPU. The Nvidia GTX 295 was released in January 2009 and I bought my system in July, so the GPU was pretty much the best you could get at that time. To this day, I can max out most games (anti-aliasing included) on this GPU, with the exception of Crytek's games, Metro 2033, Shogun 2 Total War and Battlefield 3. In short: most games are not graphically demanding, as you might be aware.

Anyways. Initially, I was frustrated because my GPU couldn't handle BF 3, but I found many tweaks that can make the game look great and still run on older hardware. Perhaps the first thing to turn off is Deferred Anti-Aliasing. "But I will get jaggies", you might say, "and I hate jaggies". True enough, BF 3 looks horrible with jaggies. However, even when you enable 2x or 4x MSAA, it doesn't make the jaggies go completely away despite dropping your framerate by 10-15 FPS. The actual magic tool that makes jaggies go away is AA post-processing. It slightly blurs the whole image, but makes most jaggies vanish almost instantly and costs you only 3 FPS. So, turn deferred AA off and set AA post-processing to medium.

That being said, the next thing that you should turn off to gain upto 5 extra FPS is SSAO/HBAO - this effect creates diffuse, black shadows in the creases of uniforms or on corners and "dark" objects, but eats up VRAM like crazy. You're better off without it. Set everything else to medium and you can easily play the game on your native resolution without losing much FPS. Using these settings, I for example can play Battlefield 3 at 1920 x 1200 resolution on my 3.5 year old comp at a Framerate of 35-60 fps, but it never goes below that and still looks prettier than the console version.

MULTIPLAYER:
Now, to the multiplayer gameplay. Battlefield 3 ships with 9 maps. This is, of course, a shockingly low number when you compare it to the amount of maps CoD games initially ship with (around 15), but one must remember that each of these 9 maps is HUGE compared to the small, claustrophobic CoD maps. One game mode in Battlefield 3, Team Deathmatch, is for example played in only a small portion of these 9 maps. A place where there are lots of objects blocking the field of view, similar to a CoD level. As such, there are only 9 TDM maps. But the main game modes that Battlefield is famous for, Conquest and Rush, are played on the remaining 75% of these 9 maps, where tanks, helicopters, jets, jeeps and whatnot move around, chasing each other etc. There are several "bases" on these maps, small buildings like a construction site, gas station, office, or such, where flags are located that need to be captured and held for your team. THAT's what Battlefield is all about, so despite there only being 9 maps, you will still get plenty of action.

There isn't much improvement over Bad Company 2's multiplayer - it is the same old Battlefield formula, just with new maps and weapons, and an updated graphics engine. It's funny how people accuse Infinity Ward/Treyarch of always recycling the same old gameplay in the CoD series with every new installment, but as a Battlefield player (since BF 2) I know DICE has been doing the same. I have no problems with this in either series. Good stuff, but nothing really new.

COMPARISON: BF3 - COD
Reviewing Battlefield 3 inevitably brings me to compare it with Activision's contemporary offering, Modern Warfare 3. I won't go into detail though, as this is a Battlefield 3 review and talking about the pros and cons of MW 3 has no place here. However, at this juncture I have to take a stance against all the people bashing the CoD series and saying Battlefield is without doubt the superior series: they are wrong. You cannot compare the CoD series and the BF series because they are entirely different games. The only thing they have in common, is that you play from the first-person perspective, they deal with modern conflict, and are both huge franchises that sell for millions with each installment. Call of Duty is all about fast-paced arcade-like (and I don't mean that in a negative sense) gunplay that has fun written all over it. You spawn, you spot an enemy, you pull the trigger, he dies, you level up, unlock new stuff, and if you get multiple kills, you get fun rewards like sentry guns and airstrikes. And if you are playing a special game mode, you also take care of the objective, like defuse a bomb or collect dog tags. Most importantly, everything is balanced despite there being so much variety among guns, perks etc. Someone on level 1 can kill you if he tries a bit. In short: everyone can have fun, and the graphics look crisp enough and run butter smooth.

Battlefield is different. It is more like a real war. You have vehicles, jets, field medics, huge maps that cannot be traversed on foot, a hell of a lot more players, and different theatres of battle are going on in different parts of the huge map at the same time. Bottom line is: as an individual, you are of no significance. Unless of course, you are an experienced player, get aboard a jet or attack heli, and rain fiery destruction down upon the battlefield while evading incoming missiles with your flares like a pro. If you are a good BF player, there is little that can touch you (I have seen 80/7 K/D counts - and it is always the guy in the attack heli). As a foot soldier, you are a mere gimmick - you can spot enemies and defend a base against 1 or 2 players, and lay some mines, but that's that. If you are lucky enough to join a squad that works as a team (quite rare, as more often than not, your so-called "team mates" are usually lone wolves somewhere on the map out on their own - and DICE lowering the squad cap from 6 to a measly 4 doesnt help), then of course you'll have a lot of fun as they revive you when you are downed, you can spawn on their location, they hopefully spawn on yours, etc. But if you play by yourself, you're going to have a bad time, in stark contrast to Call of Duty, where you can have a lot of fun even if you play by yourself. The only reason why BF 3 will keep you hooked is because of the visual presentation, combined with the audio, and the fact that if jets and helis fly overhead, it isn't a scripted effect like in Call of Duty, but actual vehicles piloted in real-time by fellow players. That's what makes Battlefield 3 so intense.

Something else I noticed is that the repeated "getting hit" sound effect that you hear when you are firing onto another player in Call of Duty is immensely satisfying. That sound is absent in Battlefield, so you only know you have damaged and killed the enemy once you get the message after having done so. On the other hand, the "spotting an enemy" is a really fun and nice feature of Battlefield that I miss in Call of Duty, for example. But then again, I love the killcam in Call of Duty while in Battlefield, if you are killed it just shows the guy who killed you running around. Completely pointless. Also, everytime you are killed in BF 3 your player body does the same, silly hand-raising animation.

There's also an irony about the whole "fully destructible buildings" feature that DICE so often likes to brag about: the buildings are completely empty. There is no interior design whatsoever. And if there is, it is extremely sparse. I noticed this first in Bad Company 2, where houses were almost completely empty inside, and this seems to have carried on to BF 3. In CoD, it is different - the insides of each house is cluttered with furniture, paintings, vases, carpets, you name it. But the building can't be destroyed. In Battlefield games, the buildings can be destroyed, but they are empty. I wouldn't say one is better than the other; it boils down to personal taste. But I prefer having richly decorated interiors to vacant ones blowing up any day. Besides, plenty of destruction happens in Call of Duty during gun fights too - glass in windows shatters into a thousand pieces, papers fly everywhere, vases break, debris is shot off walls - that's good enough for me.

EDIT: Originally, I had given this game a 4 star rating in the "How much fun is this game?" category. Now, I have docked 2 more stars. The reason is simple: this game is like a frail child when it comes to mouse compatibility. Mess up some value in the Nvidia Control Panel, or somewhere else on the computer, and mouse movement in Battlefield 3 is suddenly no longer smooth, but jittering/jaggy when you try moving the mouse diagonally - go ahead and try it. If you can move the mouse smoothly, you are in luck. If you can't - tough luck. In all my games (and I have close to 100) BF 3 is the ONLY one where I am suddenly suffering from mouse lag. I CANNOT explain it; I have plugged in other mice, tried updating drivers, played around with the "Raw mouse input" setting, as well as the mouse sensitivity, enabled/disabled vsync and mouse acceleration, messed around with the PhysX settings and various other stuff in the Nvidia Control Panel, switched from Multi-GPU mode to single GPU-mode, tried the "MarkC Windows 7 Mouse Acceleration fix", disabled the ingame Origin client, all to no avail. And the funny thing is, on ALL my other games, (BF BC 2, Crysis 2, Fallout 3 & NV, Metro 2033, Call of Duty 4, WaW, MW2, Blops, MW3, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed I, II,... just to name a few) I do not have any problems with the mouse.

Oh and one more thing - if I plug in an xbox 360 controller and play BF 3, then there is no movement jittering! And even when I play with the mouse, the moment I get inside a tank or APC and move the turret around, again, the jitter is gone. Same goes for piloting helicopters. This is more than enough proof that the mouse jitter is NOT the fault on my side, but is some bug that this P.O.S. game ships with. So screw you, Battlefield 3!

CONCLUSION:
Battlefield 3 is a FAIL on both platforms. On PC, apart from needing a 300$ GPU (e.g. the Nvidia GTX 660ti) to be fully maxed out and yield the same visuals as what were shown in the deceiving trailers, it also comes bundled with Origin's spyware EULA, the obnoxious browser-based battle log, ripping you out of the immersion every time you launch the game, as well as the mouse bug for those unfortunate enough, rendering the game unplayable. On consoles, you have none of this, but the game runs at a crappy 30 FPS; the graphics are equivalent to "low" settings on the PC, jaggies exist (no anti-aliasing), and only 24 players max. In short: nothing what the trailers promised.

So either way, on either platform, you are SCREWED, because you are denied the perfect game that the trailers promised you would be playing by Fall 2011. EA has also frozen prices and charges you 60$ for the game, and another 60$ for all its expansions (Premium membership), without even including a way to play the DLC offline (akin to the excellent Bot support that Battlefield 2 had - I enjoy that to this day, although people have moved on. When BF 4 releases and people move on, I can only pity the people who bought the Premium only recently and cannot find games anymore. At least BF BC 2's DLC maps were free for PC gamers). A two, out of five, and an equally deserved two stars for gameplay - because when things go right, the audio-visual experience is indeed mind-blowing, but chances are that's not gonna happen. You want a hassle-free, popular, adrenaline-filled FPS multiplayer? Buy Call of Duty. Seriously. Don't listen to the whiners on youtube. Graphics don't make a game - and at least in Call of Duty I am not screwed over by bloatware and bugs. Proof once more of who still reigns the first person genre. If you want a good Battlefield game with great graphics, buy Bad Company 2.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great game, but, there is always a but..., 8 Dec 2011
This review is from: Battlefield 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
The single player campaign ends in less than 6 hours of play, but battlefield is always been a multiplayer game, and this is not different from the previous chapters, it has great graphics and sound, BUT the game is not stable at all, forums are flooded with any kind of stability problems, and patches created new problems for the most part of the players...

wait a couple of months to buy the game so that they can solve all the problems, now the situation is very frustrating, a crash every ten minutes if you are lucky!

1.0 out of 5 stars A fun game spoiled by EA and Origin!, 1 Jan 2012
This review is from: Battlefield 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I simply wanted to voice my opinion and warn others NOT to buy this game for PC! The game is actually really good fun once you get to it, its just all the other stuff that ruins it for the PC. I'm afraid you have to buy it for the consoles since the PC version will come with the following issues:

EA origin privacy violation
The worst start up system ever made in a game since everything in the game must be launch in a web browser
Must be connected to the internet to play the campaign
Too many windows open up every time you start the game, origin opens, the battlelog web browser opens, another window about the game initialising, and another window about the origin saying the game is starting up, and then final the actual game.
EA origin privacy violation, they can use information saved on your computer!
Server issues
Terrible menus for connecting to games
The online is actually quite broken
Game has to start up (along with all those windows) every time you start a new match in multilayer because the match menus are in a web browser... why not do everything in the game!?
EA origin privacy violation!! Don't worry they reassured me that origin can't access photos and other personal information... I'm sorry, but when I am having to be reassured about the safety of my personal information, it leads me to wonder why the hell is that software with that kind of potential needed to play the game in the first place?!

For this reason I am never buying a pc game made by EA ever again! It's almost like they're forcing me to buy it on the consoles. Well funnily enough they just did got it for the PS3 in the end. But I did this only to support a good game (after all the game is really good)... not EA (hence to prove this point the pc version deserves 1 star and I didn't find all this crap "fun" either therefore 1 star for fun).

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this game on PC, 9 Dec 2011
Mr (Southampton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battlefield 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
This may be a really good game but with firewall compatibility issues, update failures, the need to re-install and the useless EA Origin system I still don't know. Don't buy it on PC!! EA in all my years of gaming this is BY FAR the worst experience I have had trying to get to play a game. Put the game on the disk, make it work, stop trying to control our lives, you suck at it.

Battlefield 3 (PC DVD)
Battlefield 3 (PC DVD) by Electronic Arts (Windows 7 / Vista)