Size: 1TB|Style Name: FireWire 800 + USB 3.0|Change

on 7 October 2014
LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt Mobile 500GB SSD HD same as his family member with half capacity comes with integrated Thunderbolt Cable.

Both models are actually upgrade of older Rugged HD model while introducing two additional features:
- Integration of Thunderbolt cable
- Better damage resistance (waterproof, dustproof, shockproof)

For those in need of speed (or not having time to waste) SSD version is fully recommended option, due to its extreme speed of around 360 MB/s (still bit less compared to advertised 387MB/s).

As already written besides permanent Thunderbolt cable which increases protection against environment influence (dust, water) using provided dust cap will enable usage of USB 3.0 interface.

Two nice add-ons are:
- dust cap can be in place even when the device is used
- when not in use Thunderbolt cable is protected by the cover.

Though being shockproof taking into account its price I was not willing to test that ability - based on specification fall from height up to 2m should not be harmful which is additionally confirmed with IP54 durability standard which this disk bears.

Therefore, the same as it was the case for SSD 250GB model, LaCie made produced great device, though its only drawback for many will be its price ($500), Still, if you look for best ratio of value received for money you just cannot miss with LaCie Thunderbolt SSD disks.

I received a sample of LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt Mobile 500GB SSD HD for the purpose of testing and unbiased review, while all the presented information is based on my impressions.
on 5 December 2012
This is the second LaCie Hard drive I've bought in this style.
It's great. Reliable, robust, solid.
I use it as an external hard drive with my Mac for editing and it's great - good speed and connection and of course, super portable.
I'm very happy with the HD
on 11 January 2013
I bought this item because I wanted to have a drive that would stand up to being carried in a bag. But this hasn't. The USB connector on the drive has fallen apart. I am about to find out how the seller responds. I am disappointed because it seems to tick all the right boxes - small, light, good price.
on 16 December 2015
Great little hard drive but the connection lead is so incredibly poor. I don't know why LaCie are still using this connection type, it sucks! Every single LaCie I've had has had to have a replacement lead bought almost straight away and this one is no exception. It's not acceptable to have an inaccessible or constantly unplugging hard drive and it adds another £5 to my purchase every time I need another lead. A real shame as the drive itself is super fast but I won't be buying another LaCie.
on 1 October 2011
I like this Rugged drive for its universal connectivity: it supports both USB 3.0 (backward-compatible with USB 2.0) and FireWire 400 and 800. I'm working on Mac and this is just great. With FireWire 800 the speed is awesome, files are copied almost instantaneously. The drive doesn't overheat, and works very quietly. The orange rubber bumper was a cool idea. As a bonus I got 10GB of free storage with Wuala. Overall this is a great product!
on 24 March 2012
This is my 2nd portable hard drive and seems like the best! Working absolutely fine, faster and password protected area is just wonderful. General formatting for Windows took around 7-8 minutes for entire 1TB but password protection encrypted area for 200GB formatting took around 3 hours; however it is one of best function which can be dismounted any time or can be configured to dismount if idle for whatever time you specify though normal area/unprotected area is always connected unless you disconnect it physically.

When you first plug-in it will give you three option to format 1. Windows 2. Mac or 3. Lynux. Only limitation here is it won't allow you to partition the Hard Drive which is not a big deal as it can be resolved by making several folders however after the formatting is successfully done then it can be password protected for the size you want. In my case I did 200GB. This protected area is 256 bit encrypted which is very good I guess one of the best industry standard ensured security. By the way no one should make the whole of this hard drive password protected because in that case you cannot use or access this drive in every computer because to access this password protected are you need to run pr-eloaded .exe file which cannot be run unless you are administrator or Power user for that computer i.e. in offices computers are restricted so you cannot access restricted area and if the whole external hard drive is password protected than no meaning of portability . The unprotected area can be access anywhere you want as like any other USB Drive. I am using USB 2.00 though it is absolutely faster i.e. selected whole of 18 GB of documents which transferred around 15 minutes in one go and very quiet, no noise at all. Do hope and pray that price of this product would come down and very soon the company would make 5 TB in the same physical size. Hope it would last long. I would highly recommend this product, without any question you can buy it.
on 26 September 2012
Unfortunately, this hard drive failed in under one month. I bought it in an Apple store, so exchanged without any trouble for another one. That one failed 18 months later will all my data. It was never dropped or even carried around, sat quietly at home to back up my numerous images. Won't be buying Lacie Rugged again!
on 18 December 2014
I'm now using four rugged drives

...bought my first a few years ago, it has FireWire 400 + 800, and I have two of this latest model with 2x FireWire 800

I also have the thunderbolt version - bought 6 months ago, it's slimmer, but I don't like it's thin hardwired cable

...hence why I bought another FireWire 800 model
on 5 January 2015
I was initially put off by the colour and price, but having owned one for the last few weeks i can honestly say it is a great piece of kit.

It supports thunderbolt as well as USB 3.0, and the thunderbolt cable is hidden nicely around the edges of the device and the connector pops out of one end, so you never actually detach it from the device, making it difficult to lose.

The setup routine is very helpful and even suggests formatting a small portion of the available space in a format that is accessible to windows and Mac. This is very useful if you use both windows and apple hardware.

The thunderbolt connection is very very fast. I needed to copy 30GB of data, and it did it in less than half the time of a USB 3 drive.

The orange rubber bumper acts as a good protector (even if it is a little 'bright') which gives me peace of mind, as my last drive broke due to being banged around.

All in all, worth the price and glad i bothered to give it a shot.
on 12 November 2015
This is surely the best portable hard drive out there - what else would you bother to use, if you can use this? OK, so if they release the 1TB version (which will inevitably come), then I'll rush out and buy that (or more accurately rush to the keyboard and click buy now!!).

I use this hard drive professionally every day in my video production company. All of my current work projects are on it. Once a project is completed, it gets moved onto a cheaper and larger USB hard drive for backup (in addition to remote cloud backup). The SSD/Thunderbolt speed is fantastic. The speed it the main reason I use this drive - SSD drives are blazing fast compared to normal drives (normally around 7200 or 5400RPM).

The drive is very reliable (it get used every day and often goes out and about on a shoot or in a laptop bag; then back to the office machine). There have been no glitches ever. The built-in cable is fantastic - much better than a separate cable.

The Thunderbolt connection is an important factor too, allowing fast data transfer. I made the mistake of buying a different hard-drive which was 7200RPM with Thunderbolt. It wasn't bad, but the SSD with Thunderbolt is WAY faster. When I'm on a deadline, speed becomes very valuable.

It's not the cheapest drive out there, but if you need speed and high quality, then look no further.