5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice drive
Published on 1 Oct 2011 by GCM

2.0 out of 5 stars Flawed.
Published 4 months ago by TG

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice drive, 1 Oct 2011
This review is from: LaCie Rugged Triple 301984 1TB USB 3.0 and Firewire 800 5400 rpm Portable Hard Disk Drive (Personal Computers)
I like this Rugged drive for its universal connectivity: it supports both USB 3.0 (backward-compatible with USB 2.0) and FireWire 400 and 800. I'm working on Mac and this is just great. With FireWire 800 the speed is awesome, files are copied almost instantaneously. The drive doesn't overheat, and works very quietly. The orange rubber bumper was a cool idea. As a bonus I got 10GB of free storage with Wuala. Overall this is a great product!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor reliability, 1 Dec 2013
I bought this hard drive to use as a field backup when working on location because of their boasted ruggedness. I haven't even had a chance to test it for its required purpose yet as the hard drive constantly gives me trouble by only connecting to my Mac for brief periods of time, seriously affecting my workflow and productivity for clients. Despite my trying to improve the connection by trying different firewire cables and even trying the USB cable alas, i have had no joy and will be sending this back and going back to other brands that have worked for me for years.

2.0 out of 5 stars Flawed., 29 Nov 2013
I've used this drive solidly for the past couple of months and can't really fault its performance. However, it seems as if the USB 3.0 port was an afterthought in the design process. It sits only just above the stupid rubber casing of the hard drive, and therefore the USB plug does not sit snugly in the port. As a result, the drive disconnects because the cable works itself loose, or because you knock it - it is incredibly annoying.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Lacie 'worldwide' warranty!, 11 May 2013
I have the Lacie Rugged 1TB it was bought in the US. After a few months no computer would recognise it. I contacted Lacie support. They confirmed it must be returned for repair. Then when they asked where the drive was bought they declined to honour the worldwide warranty because they stated I must raise a ticket with US support and ship the drive to the country of purchase for repair. They also warned the US division will only return the repaired drive to a US address.

So beware of the 'Worldwide' warranty for this product which is 'assembled in China' and in my experience not as rugged as Lacie claim. Won't be using any more of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and fast, 1 Sep 2011
I only bought this drive a short while ago: I needed a large capacity hard drive for work. I've chosen this model because of all the features offered (encryption, rugged design, several interfaces, backup software). The setup only took me a few minutes. The drive is very easy to use both in a working environment and at home: it's fast, has a large capacity and is universally compatible. I'd highly recommended it for anybody who works with large amounts of data.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drive, portable and fast, 11 Mar 2014
Use it for storing and editing photos while traveling. It's been perfectly robust so far, I use the USB 3 connector when I'm working with an external monitor as there is no pass-through thunderbolt port.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for storing photos., 26 Dec 2013
S. A. Bain (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I use this drive as off-site storage for my photo library, exporting photos about once a month. It is ideal for keeping in the car so that it is handy but physically remote from my computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Backed up my Mac, 26 Oct 2013
A. Williams (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
It has worked flawlessly so far. Perhaps early days but I have no complaints. Does what it's supposed to do

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 12 Aug 2013
I bought this hard drive as an extra, but upon using it, found that it is so useful that I have now started using it as my main drive!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 12 July 2013
Patrick Malone (UK) - See all my reviews
Rugged (like the label says), and dead easy to use. I keep my entire archive on two of these. Good value.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›