4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for intermediate reader of French
My French is good enough to tackle the classic novels, but with frequent use of a dictionary, especially where there's an unknown word which is key to understanding. I've set this as my Kindle dictionary and can now get basic look up when I need it. It works pretty well, finding words like "chevalet", but not "paravent" and it spots verb forms, noun plurals etc pretty...
Published on 11 Aug. 2011 by David

3.0 out of 5 stars Does more than you would think
I risked £1.32 on what I thought might be a pretty indifferent, but better than nothing, Kindle French English Dictionary. I was impressed; it's range is greater than I had expected and way better than the basic Collins which I also bought. It picks up pretty obscure words and "Verlain" well. Using it as the default dictionary on my Kindle has made reading French...
Published on 3 Jan. 2012 by Hotwired

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great for the purpose I'd intended, 16 April 2012
This review is from: An Electronic French Dictionary: An Essential Tool for the Advanced Learner (Electronic Dictionaries Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
Bought this to take on holiday to France to help with menu decoding...the majority of words I tried to find weren't included. My mistake was probably expecting too specialised a function from it, but at the price can hardly say my money was wasted!

4.0 out of 5 stars quick and easy, 29 Mar. 2013
Cat (London UK) - See all my reviews
Really pleased with this quick and easy little dictionary. It works just like the in built Kindle English dictionary and makes reading french novels so much more enjoyable as I don't have to hover over a sentence making sure I haven't got my verbs mixed up. It gives reflexive verbs in the root form, e.g. if you click on s'élever a translation of élever will appear, but you can figure out the reflexive meaning yourself from the root of the verb. Also, if you press the "full definition" for such a verb, reflexive options are available. Overall, very happy with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars French Dictionary, 24 Mar. 2012
I find this useful on my Kindle when I am reading French novels as I can skip from the novel to the dictionary whenever I need to check the meaning of a word.

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh.., 7 Feb. 2014
I got this for my kindle and after a lot of headaches, I was able to set it as a main dictionary - I had no idea kindle is missing this basic functionality. It does work but it's not very impressive - I expected and wished something more comprehensive.
The dictionary itself is not the best in terms of word definitions and in terms of quality of the definitions but is usable and useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars A basic dictionary, 12 Jun. 2012
This is not bad as a basic French dictionary, but it's not the last word if your needs are slightly more esoteric. I read a lot of 19th century French literature and needed a dictionary to help with some of the more obscure words (particularly items of clothing, arms, hunting terms, horse-drawn transport, etc). It covers a few of the things I needed to look up, but it's completely silent on many unusual terms. If your needs are not so demanding as mine, it would make a good standard dictionary...and it's very cheap.

1.0 out of 5 stars trash, 21 Nov. 2011
Does anybody do any quality control at Amazon?
How can you have a French dictionary that doesn't list the gender of nouns?
After I'd bought it I looked at the details section on my kindle and the author
writes
"Update 10/14/2011: Now the dictionary can look-up words beginning with l' d' n' and s'."
This is not an update but a clue to the quality of the dictionary.How could it qualify as a dictionary if
this didn't function in the first place!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a lot of use, 25 Oct. 2013
I find it clunky and slow to use and not enough description given for each word. I am a fluent French speaker and wanted it for more obscure words so that I can use the correct word in any situation. It is not suitable for this purpose, nor do I think a beginner in French would find it useful as it assumes a prior knowledge of grammar.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 28 Jan. 2012
C. R. Bullock "crjb" (Colchester) - See all my reviews
The price was the main thing that attracted me to this, as I wanted a French-English Dictionary on my Kindle. It has some shortcomings, but is more than adequate for my needs - I tend to use it when I'm reading a book in French, which then uses the electronic French-French Dictionary, which I can then translate into English.

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the worst dictionary I have seen, 15 Jan. 2015
I do not think I have seen a dictionary that does not even tell you basic essentials such as gender of nouns. Definitions are so minimal that its use is equally minimal. You can see why it is cheap but I suggest readers choose a dictionary from
a well respected publisher Collins or Oxford.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good French to English, 11 May 2015
Once you get used to the search method it works well if you spell the French words correctly. It's a pity it does not have English to French and a French keyboard dictionary option. I would have given it another star had had an English to French option.