READ BELOW * FOR COMMENT RE KINDLE 4 suitability
Published on 22 Aug 2011 by S. J. Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars A little Cumbersome
I love the fact the my Kindle knows of its own accord that I'm reading an Italian book and automatically selects the correct dictionary.

Published on 28 Jan 2012 by technophobe

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb, for Kindle 3, but very hit and miss accessibility to Italian texts on Kindle 4, 22 Aug 2011
S. J. Williams "stevejw2" (Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: An Electronic Italian Dictionary (Electronic Dictionaries Vol. 2) (Italian Edition) (Kindle Edition)
READ BELOW * FOR COMMENT RE KINDLE 4 suitability
This must be the third Italian-English Kindle dictionary I have looked at and confess to being even more impressed with this than with the Merriam Webster, which I thought was good, even at nearly £5. However, this is MUCH bigger, and consequently contains a great many more entries and more complex/subtler definitions and, currently, is less than half the price.

The earlier reviews are right in pointing out the problem of getting translation of words preceded by say "l', del'," etc. This IS a problem when reading an Italian text on the Kindle as, to get the definition, one has to go into the dictionary as main text to find the word - in the world of Kindle ease, that is an inconvenience. However, those reviews seem to have missed something regarding their other key complaints relating to infinitives plus pronouns (eg chiederla, farsi, dirmi, mangiarlo all of which are included).

For those who need convincing of the process for this particular function:

If you use the dictionary with an Italian text on the Kindle and place the cursor next to an infinitive/pronoun compound (eg attraversarlo) it gives "attraversarlo Verb - compound of attraversare and lo;" click on 'return' for 'more', you get a page with that explanation at the top, plus other variant forms below. Use the 5 way to scroll down one line to 'attraversare' and you get "attraversare Verb - to cross, to go through, to span;" etc. (To be clear: you do NOT have to scroll through pages and pages of text - the process is very quick, far quicker than handling a hard copy.)

Similarly with non-infinitive verb forms in a text eg "erano". When the cursor is next to it we get "erano Verb form - third person plural, imperfect tense of essere;" Select 'more' and we get a page with that repeated at the top, but scroll the cursor one line to essere and the definition is given. With two touches on 'back' you return to the text you were reading.

The specific verb form explanation is not ALWAYS provided. For example, with 'subivano' in the same text, I get "conjugation of subire", with no indication of tense or person. However, going into 'more' and following the above procedure, I get the definition of the infinitive. Which verbs get a more thorough explanation seems a bit random, but the fuller treatment is applied to many. This process is NOT time consuming: from reading 'subivano' to finding the definition and being back in the Italian text is a 30 second process, if that. The only minor inconvenience might be that the cursor resets to the top of the page of the Italian text.

Using it as a straightforward dictionary not linked to an Italian text in Kindle: type in 'attraversalo' and the process follows as above. I think it's also worth mentioning that for a word like 'farsi' you could be looking for a long time in a conventional dictionary until you realised it might be a compound: this one tells you it is a compound of 'fare' and 'si' and the definition is seconds away.

Others say this isn't perfect (things rarely are!) But for me anything less than 5* would be churlish: it's the best I've seen by some margin and at £2.14! This would get my vote at 3 or 4 times the price! If only there was a similar English to Italian version: I'd snap it up even at a tenner! And after 3 weeks in Italy, I found this incredibly useful and easy to access when set as my main dictionary. It is infinitely more inclusive than any pocket/travel dictionary I have come across, as was illustrated repeatedly when friends vainly searched for a word or compound verb form in their hard copy. Yes, pronunciation/stress guidance would make this even better, but that doesn't take anything away from its inclusiveness and remarkable cheapness.

* I upgraded to K4 recently: the `edition' which prompted the above review had been on my K3 and I transferred it to the new K4.

When I upgraded to K4, the dictionary could NOT be set as the primary or Italian dictionary without `throwing away' my original download, which I did, and buying the newer version. Then it can be set as the primary ITALIAN dictionary ie if you are reading an English book, you can still use the English dictionary you have chosen: the Italian one only kicks in in Italian texts.

BUT IT DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK IN ALL ITALIAN TEXTS. WHEN READING A PENGUIN BOOK OF ITALIAN SHORT STORIES, AND SCROLLING THROUGH TO HIGHLIGHT A WORD FOR DEFINITION, IT'S THE ENGLISH DICTIONARY WHICH IS FUNCTIONING!!!! TRYING TO LOOK UP 'SEI' (6) IN AN ITALIAN TEXT GETS AN ENGLISH LANGUAGE DEFINITION TO DO WITH WHALES.

YET THE ITALIAN DICTIONARY FUNCTIONS IN 'EASY ITALIAN READER: A 3 PART TEXT FOR BEGINNING STUDENTS'. IN THAT TEXT IT WORKS PRETTY MUCH AS DESCRIBED ABOVE.

SUCH UNPREDICTABLE USE IS UNACCEPTABLE. IF I'M READING AN ITALIAN LANGUAGE STUDY BOOK, THE K4 RECOGNISES THAT AS AN ENGLISH TEXT SO I CAN"T ACCESS THE ITALIAN DICTIONARY AUTOMATICALLY FOR ITALIAN WORDS IN EXERCISES.

AS A STRAIGHTFORWARD LOOKING-UP-THE-WORD USE, THE ABSENCE OF A KEYBOARD MAKES IT A LITTLE CLUNKY, BUT I CAN LIVE WITH THAT.

Still 5* for the Dictionary on K3: it's the best I've found, but I'm really not sure it's even 3 stars any more on the new K4, largely due to lack of predictability: if I want to buy an Italian based book, I want to know the dictionary will work: at the moment it seems it might, but might not! (The move away from a primary dictionary on K4 is probably the key: the K4 will not allow you to choose this, or any other non-English Dictionary as the main one) How it works on the Kindle Keyboard, I can't say, though if f that is configured as K4 is, it will be just the same.

So from being the most enthusiastic advocate of this dictionary, I now find myself thinking I wouldn't even buy it! NEW BUYERS ON THE LATEST DEVICES, BEWARE! (I have returned the dictionary, in fact.)
PS Sorry about all the upper case: not really shouting, just trying to emphasise!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me....., 19 Jan 2012
I know some reviewers have had some issues with reliability on the Kindle 4 but I've just downloaded it to mine and so far it's worked very well. I have only tried it with Italian texts ("Il gatto con gli stivali" and "Corriere della serra" for the Kindle) but so far it is exactly what I've been looking for. Following the directions on the product page I've set it as my default dictionary and, when the cursor is directed to a word, the English translation appears. Perfect!

3.0 out of 5 stars A little Cumbersome, 28 Jan 2012

But ... it's a little cumbersome. If you click on a word that is a part of another word it takes you to a definition of that part (e.g: "volta" = "second-person singular imperative of voltare". You then have to click the cursor to the word whose meaning you need (e.g. "voltare"), or hunt around in the dictionary for that word (which may be as many as 12 pages away). And at times the definition isn't that helpful ("voltassero" = "conjugation of voltare" - well, which conjugation, please?).

I'm sure that someone could work out how to make this simpler, so that one could click directly to the meaning of the word.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 25 Aug 2011
E. WOOLSTON (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is a seriously helpful dictionary for reading Italian text. It has an impressive number of entries and certainly beats the more expensive Merriam-Webster hands down since it doesn't stick to the words you are most likely to know anyway.

It even manages words with eg. ne added to the end although, like all dictionaries in baulks at having instant access to words that start with l'. I don't find this an enormous problem since I just find any other word on the page which does appear in the dictionary, press the symbol button which opens the actual dictionary itself and then look up the word I originally wanted to find.

For those with lazy thumbs, you may object that conjugations or plurals of words will display only the main word without its translation necessitating a press of the symbol key to let you look up the main word within the dictionary but you will bless the ability to find conjugations when trying to look up an irregular verb.
This is an incredibly convenient reference book and could justify a higher price than its current. (In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the author decides to reprice this at some stage, so if you are thinking of getting it, I would act soon.)
PS. I was getting bogged down with having to look up the root of a conjugated word eg stizze is defined as the plural of stizza - but I've just found that instead of having to turn to the word stizza in the dictionary, I only have to put the cursor next to the word stizza within the definition of stizze and the translation will appear. Further thumbs up!
PPS. One unfortunate drawback with this is that that if I have another Italian Dictionary on my kindle, this one won't remain my Primary Dictionary, how ever often I set it. I actually have to archive the other dictionaries if I want this one to remain my prime dictionary. A great pity!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good with the Kindle Keyboard, useless with the Kindle Touch, 20 Aug 2011
There are now at least three Italian dictionaries available for the Kindle. All can be used as primary dictionaries (you highlight the Italian word you are unsure about and your Kindle provides you with the English translation) and all share some common faults. These faults are an inability to understand a word with "l" in front of it (eg l'astronave = the spaceship) and a similar inability to understand a verb infinitive with a pronoun attached (chiederla). It seems that I am not alone in finding this a disappointment - see the excellent review above by DrPenn. Until these issues are addressed I cannot see myself giving any dictionary the full 5 stars.

Where this dictionary differs from the one I used previously on my Kindle is the file size - a massive 14MB here against 1MB on the other one. This allows for a vastly greater number of translations and, just as importantly, a vastly greater explanation of each translation. So, for now, 4 stars, and I hope to be reviewing a dictionary with these issues addressed in the near future so that I can award the full 5 stars.

Edit 27 April 2012. I have now bought a Kindle Touch. Whilst my comments above still hold good for the Kindle Keyboard, this dictionary does not work AT ALL with the Kindle Touch. If you look at the Product Details for this item, you will see it says "Language English". As a result, you can only install this as a default ENGLISH dictionary. Not much use, really. For use with the Kindle Touch I found that Italian-English Dictionary (Italian Edition) works much better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value (but no pronunciation guide), 2 Sep 2011
As noted by other reviewers, this is much better and has far more entries than the Merriam-Webster. For quick reference it's invaluable.
Main drawback - no guide to pronunciation, not even a clue as to which is the accented syllable, which is essential.
Well worth the price, nevertheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Electronic Italian Dictionary by Lucas Nicolato, 8 April 2014
stephen Walsh (BRADFORD, West Yorkshire, GB) - See all my reviews
I can hardly wait to make full use of this extensive Italian dictionary. Not only is it completely up-to-date, it is also easy to use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dooes not work with the windows rt app, 2 Mar 2014
Very disappointed. After reading a review in the U3A magazine it appeared to be ideal but, as with other users it did not work with my setup

5.0 out of 5 stars Electronic Italian Dictionary, 27 Nov 2013
I didn't realise when I bought it that it would automatically spring into action when I highlighted a word in the Italian reader I had also bought. Being pretty ignorant on infotech I can't figure out how it does this, but It makes it so easy to use I wish I had got it earlier.

2.0 out of 5 stars Its good but ..., 11 Oct 2013
... when you highlight a verb on the Kindle Paperwhite it often tells you kindly that it is the third person single of the verb (so and so), which is nice, BUT it does not tell you what the verb (so and so) means! And there is no possibility to click that verb to ask it. All that is needed is to include the short definition of the infinitive in parentheses after the mention of the verb, e.g. I would prefer to see "accesi verb first person singular past historic of the verb accendere (to light, to ignite, to kindle, to turn on a device)" - but you don't get the useful bit in the parentheses.
Another problem is that quite often the first letter is missing from the definition of the word, or there is spurious punctuation such as a hanging parenthesis. I am guessing that this is because some automatic script has processed some word bank to produce the dictionary but the script is not quite bright enough to cope with some situations.
These make it quite annoying to use on the Kindle Paperwhite - perhaps it works better on the older devices - I don't know.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›