4.0 out of 5 stars Great selection of re mixed tracks and some new ones to
I am a big Magnum fan and have brought every album that they have ever released and most of the best of type albums as well over the years. So as I have all the tracks apart from the two new songs I decided I would download this album and save myself a few quid.
Published on 12 Nov 2011 by Back Street Kid

3.0 out of 5 stars magnum fan
A little dissappointed, got every album and seen them over 20 times and feel it could of been an awful lot better certainly if they had gone further into
their back catalogue
Published on 3 Jan 2012 by bigstu

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great selection of re mixed tracks and some new ones to, 12 Nov 2011
This review is from: Evolution (MP3 Download)
So what have we got well lets start by saying that the remixed songs are much better then the original album versions. The stand out tracks for me are That Holy Touch that never really did it for me on the Breath Of Life Album but here in its remixed form it has more guitar and sounds so much better and the whole song seems more lively. The other track that stands out is Out Of The Shadows from Princess Alice. This was always a good song and now with the re mix is a great song with the Guitars turned right up and the song seems to flow much better.
As well as the re mixed tracks there are a couple of tracks from the Visitation Album that are as original.
Now my main reason for buying this Album the the two new tracks. The Fall well it starts out with a slow intro but then gallops along with some fantastic guitar work from Tony and Bobs fantastic vocals what we have here is another great Magnum track that is really catchy and once you have listened once you will be hooked and singing it all day long.Do You know Who you are ? Its a good song that starts fast but quiet and builds up volume its good but not as good as The Fall. One thing that puzzles me is why Magnum did not include the Track Eyes Like Fire that was on the DVD that came with the Visitation Album.....?
Overall I would say if your big Magnum fan and have most of the tracks on Evolution its worth buying as the tracks have been re mixed for the better and like me you will want to have the two two new tracks (i guess the new tracks were put on just for that reason.). If your new to Magnum or have lost track of what they have been up to since they reformed in 2001 this is a good album to to bring you up to date.
I would have given 5 stars if Eyes Like Fire had been included.

4.0 out of 5 stars The "Mags" deliver a potpourri for your delight and delectation, 15 Nov 2011
A. J. Toll (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evolution (Audio CD)
2010/11 has been an extremely busy period 'output-wise' for the hidden jewel that is 'Magnum'. What with "The Visitation", "The Storyteller's Collection", "The Gathering" and now "Evolution" there has been a constant stream of merchandise to keep fans old and new occupied. The highlight of 2010 was a one-off festival appearance in Victoria Park, London, where the band bravely eschewed their 'hits' in favour of a set-list culled mainly from more recent albums. A phenomenally successful tour highlighting songs old and new has been extended to include several more gigs in December. See them if you can get a ticket!

Their latest offering "Evolution" sees the band reworking 10 songs from the period of their rebirth after a few years' hiatus. Song writer and woefully overlooked/ underrated tune-smith Tony Clarkin has revisited such classics as "When we were Younger", "All My Bridges" and "Blood on Your Barbed Wire Thorns" and has polished and embodied them with more depth and power. Particularly attractive to the hard-core fans will be 2 previously unreleased tracks "The Fall" and "Do You Know Who You Are?" Both are truly excellent additions to the band's huge repertoire with a wonderful guitar lick on "The Fall" bound to bring a beaming smile to fans' faces!

One star knocked off for the non-appearance of the truly awesome 'missing track' "Eyes Like Fire". OI! Clarkin, Catley, Barrow, Stanway and James. Get it released !!

5.0 out of 5 stars MAGNUM are simply magic., 22 April 2012
This review is from: Evolution (Audio CD)
Magnum must be one of England's most talented,most treasured,most worthy institutions going today.They are like vintage wine,the old bu**ers are simply getting better and better with age.Tony Clarkin(master tunesmith),and his"young"apprentice Bob Catley,(in particular)I swear,are totally on fire nowadays.At their time of life(all due respect-and more)they should be taking it nice and easy;but thank the lord the're having none of it.Here we have some "jiggery-pokery"of tracks taken from past SPV studio albums,together with two new recordings(to whet our appetite for the soon to be released new album in autumn?).Mr.Clarkin,Mr.Catley,Mr.Stanway,Mr.Barrow,Mr.James,Great Britain salutes you gents,please keep going,and keep the british end up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great band - should be massive..., 24 Nov 2011
David R. Walters (Huntingdon, Cambs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evolution (Audio CD)
Such a great rock band that we may not see the likes of again, as good melodies are running out, though they keep coming up with great ones. Maybe it's better that they are not too big...keeping the music the main focus? Track selection was always going to be difficult as the last 4 albums of the last 5 are SO good, full of great choices. Personally I would not have had anything off the first re-union cd (Breath Of Life), as none of the songs are as good as any from the other four cds. And I wouldn't have chosen Brand New Morning, nor The Visitation as it's a bit stop-start compared to so many other GREAT songs on that album. Out of the Shadows is one of their best ever songs so it rightly deserves its place on this compilation. Personally I am glad they focus on newer songs on recent tours, rather than just the latest cd and then all the old 'classics'. I'd be happy with Vigilante, Desperate Heart, from the past, and then JUST newer stuff.

But yes - why on earth miss of Eyes Like Fire, when it's so good and such a pain only being able to play it via the DVD...if only I could rip the audio and put it onto a re-burn of that album.....anyone know how?

4.0 out of 5 stars Certainly lives up to the title!, 11 Nov 2011
Ronnie Bradley (Wishaw, Lanarkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evolution (MP3 Download)
I am a huge Magnum fan. I buy their albums when they come out and I always buy them as either LP's back in the day and now all on cd. However, given that I have all their albums I am not so big a fan as to be tempted to buy a compilation album given that I own all the tracks already. Evolution, however, promises to be remixed versions of 8 of the tracks and has 2 brand new songs so whilst it wasn't enough for me to consider getting the cd, I was interested enough to hear what Magnum had done to buy the album on mp3 download.

So are the remixes that different? Well yes, they are. Whilst the tempo and structure of the songs have remained virtually identical, the re-recorded and remixed instrumentation and vocals have breathed new life into all the songs. All the re-worked tracks benefit from more guitar and a more muted keyboard (not so muted that it cannot be heard, more the guitar has been brought more forward in the mix). This is especially true of the track "Immigrant Son" which in its original form had a strong guitar riff through the verse and yet the chorus seemed weak and weedy in comparison. By placing the guitar more full on in the chorus in the remix however the song gains massively, and a weak chorus now fits far better with the rest of the song, turning a song that was almost good to really good. I single out that one track but all the first 8 songs have been tinkered with and it shows in every track with the result being that even the slower tracks now have more tempo and rhythm without actually speeding them up.

The two new tracks are a bit of a mixed bag for me. Closing track "Who Do You Think You Are" leaves me a little cold. Not a bad track by any means but not one that has immediately fired up my imagination. "The Fall" on the other hand is a superb track, musically infectious with a good hook chorus, it would make in my opinion a good single. Certainly a song I hope becomes a staple of live shows.

So why 4 stars? Well, given that they are all, bar the last two, songs that we already own (albeit in changed form) and given that 2 of the tracks ("The Visitation" and "Wild Angels" aren't changed at all) I can't justify 5 stars. if however you've never heard Magnum before and want a small taste of how good they are since the reformation in 2001, then I would say to you its a 5 star album and worth your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: Evolution (Audio CD)
A good re mix of some classic magnum tracks! the re vamped Brand New morning is astounding again a must for anyone's Magnum collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnum Rule, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Evolution (Audio CD)
Amazing band Magnum. I wish I could see them live. I now have six of their albums and long may they go on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: Evolution (Audio CD)
As usual with Magnum....more good than bad tracks, reworks of stuff from their recent albums....all better versions than the orinals so worth seeking out.

Buy and enjoy!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great songs, better sound but turn that guitar down Tone, 29 Feb 2012
This review is from: Evolution (Audio CD)
Whilst I must confess that in general, I prefer the 'first act' of Magnum, I have enjoyed the 'new' Magnum too and have diligently bought each album.

If I had one complaint about this era of Magnum (post 2002) it was the production. Actually not so much the production choices but the implementation of the production, the mixes, the final sound on all but the last album were, imo, poor. The sound was muddy, bass heavy and just wrong, to my ears.

Clearly Tony Clarkin has come to the same conclusion. He got it right on the last album, with nice clear and punchy sonics and he's applied the same formula here.

So, I was thrilled to hear about this compilation and the remixes but I was also a little weary too. If I had one complaint about The Visitation it was that the rhythm guitars were too loud and Bob's vocals too low. It didn't stop me enjoying a fantastic set of songs but I could have enjoyed them more.

Listening to this compilation, I was thrilled at the punchy drums and spacious mixes...until, and this goes for nearly every one, the choruses came in, a wall of Tony's powerchords came in grinding away at Bob's vocals which had been shrunk to give space for the guitars. Mixing is a compromise and you can't have big everything (well maybe if you've got Mutt Lange producing). We've got big drums which I like a lot, biggish bass, huge guitars, not much in the way of keys or backing vocals and a pretty dry, sometimes thin vocal sound. E.g. If you want Storytellers vocal sound then you can't have those guitars, etc...

Now I wouldn't mind so much if Tony was actually playing something interesting. Don't get me wrong, he plays some fantastic lead parts throught the songs and the verses strike a nice balance but just banging out powerchords on the choruses obscuring the Rt Hon Sir Bob of Cately...well it's just wrong ;o)

The two new songs (great songs...as we'd expect for Mr Clarkin) seem a little more tame, perhaps on par with The visitation in terms of the guitars but it's still there.

If I had my way, I'd say listen to those 80s albums lads or if you don't want to, listen to contemporary albums by Treat and Gotthard as a template for a modern sound. I'd also like to hear more from Mr Stanway as his keyboard atmospheres work very well in Magnum.

I'm sure many won't have a clue what I'm moaning about which is great, but for those few picky buggers, this might help :o)

(btw If it were any other band I'd have given it three stars...but...hell, it's Magnum)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice refresh, 21 Feb 2012
Nicely modernised, re-recorded material (of the older original tracks) from the past few albums made since the band reformed. Have found myself enjoying the updated sounds, after becoming used to the originals.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Evolution
Evolution by Magnum (Audio CD - 2011)