4.0 out of 5 stars Good value and a good read, 10 Feb 2013
Mondoro (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Therefore I Am - Digital Science Fiction Anthology 2 (Kindle Edition)
This second volume in the Digital SF series is, overall, better than the first. The background theme, what happens when machines gain a sentience, is explored in several stories: negatively in 'Open Letter to Non-Robotic Sentients - a chilling tale; more positively in the deeply compassionate behaviour of the robot minder in 'Waiting Room' (an outstanding story), and the 'nanobot' in 'Fruitful', who teaches her owner what the concept of the 'family' really means. 'The Night We Flushed the Old Town' adds a note of humour to a rather serious collection, showing the consequences - could have been serious, but turned out to be amusing- of ignoring a key factor when introducing a new technology off-world. No obvious 'duds' this time; all the stories had proper endings. A good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars I think...., 8 Oct 2013
Good old fashioned sci-fi ,no brains needed ,just enjoy and let the scenery wash over you,to much of the new stuff needs a degree in aeronautics to understand it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 27 Mar 2014
Enjoyed this anthology, sometimes you get a story you don't like but I didn't with this anthology. There were authors I hadn't come across before and I will be looking for more stories by these authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 10 Feb 2013
Loved the first two, and am now going to buy number three.
Good science fiction, well written. If you are longing for a good read it is well worth giving these a go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tremors, 22 Aug 2012
Just read Tremors, the first story in this anthology. Crisp, clean writing, with concise, vivid descriptions that brought the story alive. Mr. Martin, instead of lecturing about the dangers of climate change, shows us what the grim reality could be like. It was genuinely frightening and realistic. It is hard to get good characterisation in such a short story but the narrative voice of Kimi rang true. Not your average hero with a standard issue superhuman, muscle bound body, but a frail human being any reader could identify with. Kimi struggles to fulfill his difficult, demanding role as an engineer linking a vital tunnel and providing an escape route for humanity from a benighted, doomed earth. Thought provoking and dramatic without ever sensationalising, I would recommend this to anyone who thinks about what the future might hold.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and different, 29 July 2012
Having just read Sci Fi i (Sci Fi Short Story Collection), which was pretty good, I thought I'd give this collection a go. I would say on the whole it is a success, with good variety between stories...as you'd expect from such a cast of writers. Narrative styles shift as well as tone, and when I got to the finish I felt that, on the whole, I'd read an original and engaging book which was well worth the money. Thumbs up!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 11 Nov 2014
An interesting collection well thought out stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well balanced anthology, 25 May 2013
Some great stories here showing interesting insights into people's minds. Some of the stories are great reads, others left me a little cold.

4.0 out of 5 stars therefore I am anthology, 6 Mar 2013
with the price of printed books today when you can download e-books at this price its free reading for ever ok you have a limited choice but thanks very much amazon