4.0 out of 5 stars A blast from the past - and all the better for it, 16 Feb 2007
Andy Leslie (Llandybie, Wales) - See all my reviews
I was a Stackridge nut in the 1970's, when my mate Bob Hewitt (Hi to UKBob of WRFG Atlanta!) and I would listen to their albums as I smoked mysterious substances that may or may not have been oxo cubes.

Although their final gig was in April '75, they've remained alive in my memories and I'm all for a modern revival of appreciating the genius of Stackridge. With a 2006 re-recording of "Purple Spaceships..." this best-of presages good things for their tour in Spring 2007.

Always of a high quality, their music as represented here is only missing "The Volunteer" to be a perfect selection.

If you're old enough to remember them, this will be a rediscovered delight. If you are coming to them for the first time, then you are in for a real treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where has this group been all my life?, 15 May 2009
M. Jacklin "Ma" (Berkshire) - See all my reviews
Having only discovered Stackridge at Cropredy 08, I can't believe they slipped under the radar for the last 30 years of my musical appreciation. Diversity, eccentricity, psychedelia - all in one album. An absolute must for any lamenting XTC fans. Top marks, and as fresh as the day the tracks were written.

4.0 out of 5 stars Prog Rock rules, 1 Nov 2010
E. Carruthers "mature teenager" (Durban, South Africa) - See all my reviews
I have Extravenganza in my collection because of the song 'Nothing has important as the Earth Worm' which I heard on Whistle Test in the good old days!!!! Shame it isn't on this collection. I enjoyed the collection. We forget how good prog rock was and the muscianship of the players.

5.0 out of 5 stars ENGLAND'S HIDDEN TREASURES, 26 Mar 2014
HAYLING BOOK & MUSIC VENUE (HBMV) "Hayling Is... (26 Rails Lane Hayling Island) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
For those not in the know, Stackridge are a quintessential, quirky little English band from the West Country who have been around on and off for five decades. Their music is melodic, clever, whimsical and at times very 'left field'.

This adorable collection harvests some of the best songs by the band and collects them together for our delight and pleasure.

I never tire of Stackridge. This is a great intro to their catalogue - also seek out Vol 2 on Angel Air.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uniquely English west country, 6 Jan 2013
R. Clementson (UK) - See all my reviews
First saw or even heard of them in 1971, at University. They were the saturday night band, replacing the Strawbs. They played a full set to an audience of (and I jest not) - 5. Never forgot the closing song - do the stanley, with the dustbin lids. Was a lifetime fan after that. I would not classify them as either prog rock or like early genesis. They are eccentirc, quirky, original, talented, amusing. More in the genre of the incredible string band, kevin ayers, early donovan. Not to everyone's taste, but for me absolutely brilliant and unique - only in England.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 11 Sep 2012
Similar in style to early Genesis. Two of the band members went on to form Korgis. Best track in my opinion is 'road to Venezuela'. They never made it big which is a real shame because this compilation album is excellent.