on 16 September 2003
Unlike much of his earlier work, this CD comes off my record shelf time after time, saying something new to me each of those times.
It is still whispered that Trower is a Hendrix imitator/copyist - but didn't Stevie Ray Vaughan tread deeply into that territory, without the baying? But in reality Trower evolved away from being the Hendrix clone a very long time ago, and instead has continued to add substantially to this form of rock and blues.
There are a number of reasons that I believe "20th Century Blues" is special and a classic. It has a balanced and varied collection of modern blues tunes, free of duds; blues tunes which are beautiful arranged for this three-piece band. In particular, the drumming is outstanding. Drummer Mayuyu shows great imagination and augments the album with something special, (rather than sit back and do the usual 4 to the bar). The rhythms and percussive sounds employed are new to any form of blues I've heard before. I have to go as far back as Ginger Baker with Cream, to be reminded of a drummer who added something unique to an album's overall sound. Livingstone Brown on bass and vocals, is typical of the smokey blues voices Trower has picked for many of his albums - his voice suiting the lyrics and moods created to a tee. Then there is Trower - he is at his very best, a bag full of chops honed to perfection to compliment the blues.
"20th Century Blues" is a great 90's rock record, and specifically my favourite electric blues album from the last 15 years.
on 10 August 2013
I have listened to this cd several times since I purchased it, and I must say that I am very impressed. I have always thought it is unfair that Robin Trower is thought of as a Hendrix copy (ist). I think Trower has his own unique style and he rings the emotion out of his fender strats. In my humble opinion, Trower is one of the best guitarists around today. (Along with Tony Iommi who is also very underated). Anyway buy this, I promise you will not be disappointed.
on 1 February 2015
Foreget the jimi hendrix clone that some people say Robin is class act and allway's has been another finecd from the man buy with confidence.
on 18 August 2012
Item as described. Highly recommended.
on 25 March 2016
Released in the mid-90s this was the album that marked Robin Trower's return after the lost 80s when his releases seemed increasingly bland and MOR. With Livingston Brown on bass and vocals RT found a worthy successor to Jim Dewar and the songs marked a real return to form, especially the astonishing 'Precious Gift' which remains one of my favourites. This and Go My Way which followed soon after are every bit as good as the albums from his 1970s haydays. Highly recommended.
on 17 June 2015
Great Blues album,almost a live feel to it,nice interactions between Robin,Livingstone Brown,and Mayuyu...Brown vocals perfect for this genre,and Mayuyu infills delightful,on this 1994 album,re-issued in 2011 by Repertoire Records.Just seen Robin live 2015,and believe me,he still sounds,so good,and he plays just like this live,with his new band...LEGEND
on 6 April 2015