Published on 17 July 2011 by JK

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointing
I understand that this is an incredibly sore subject for jaycee, but throughout the book and feel like she skimmed over everything and more attention was paid to animals rather than her having a child at 14? I never really understood why she referred to get daughters as "A" and "S"/"G" i read online her daughter's names were Angel and starlit. I also feel the end was far...
Published 4 days ago by Kirsty McDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say-nobody should have to recount a story like this, 17 July 2011
JK "Julie K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Stolen Life (Hardcover)
What a brave attempt at recording the most horrendous abuse. I admire Jaycee Dugard tremendously for her honesty and frankness and I only hope that recounting this awful, awful tale has been cathartic for her and that the money she'll undoubtedly make will go towards securing her something of a "normal" life. "A Stolen Life" is not for the faint hearted. Jaycee doesn't shy away from the torture she endured at the hands of her abductor, and his wife, and there were times when I felt so uncomfortable that I had to put the book down and walk away for a while. This is not "fiction" this is a true account of one little girls journey into hell and I don't know how she has found the strength to survive that journey, never mind sitting down to re-visit and sharing the darkest details with us. If you're brave enough then you should read this, it'll upset you but I've seldom read anything that's had such an impact. I can't use words like "great", "fast moving" or even "entertaining" because it's none of those things and to use words like that on this occasion would be totally misplaced, I can only say that if you read "A Stolen Life" you'll make the journey with Jaycee and you'll be amazed, furious, sickened, sad and ultimately moved by her account.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, moving memoir, 16 July 2011
This review is from: A Stolen Life (Hardcover)
This is quite a harrowing book to read particularly the early part. I almost didn't want to read any more when I realised what was about to be described. Having followed much of her story in the news I was very interested to hear her relate her experience herself. What I didn't, I think, expect was such a high standard memoir.
I think reading this book is a learning experience for the reader. It's increased my understanding of both victims and perpetrators. Thank you Jaycee for writing this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very brave girl, 19 July 2011
This review is from: A Stolen Life (Hardcover)
This book is honest, open, frank, gruelling, disturbing and every mother and child's worst nightmare. It's not a read for the faint of heart, I found myself upset and having to set it down and then come back to it (though I had to read in 2 days!).

Jaycee's approach to life is inspirational and I wish her, her children and her mum all the very best for the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spirit, 25 July 2011
This review is from: A Stolen Life (Hardcover)
I would definitely recommend this memoir to anyone who is interested in the real experience of crime and for anyone who needs motivation and hope. Admittedly, I had no idea of who Jaycee Lee Dugard was until she was rescued, as I was only three years old when she was abducted. I became interested in her story after reading various reports and watching a documentary. What really struck a chord with me was that she doesn't feel sorry for herself at all. Many people who are victims of such cruelty and abuse find it hard to turn their lives around but not Jaycee, her strength, courage and spirit shone through the pages to the point it was blinding me (in a good way ofcourse). If you are thinking will I/wont I buy this book, I encourage you to do so. The proceeds fund her new foundation that aims to help people recover from traumatic events through innovative therapy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply an honest account from Jaycee Dugard, 23 July 2011
This review is from: A Stolen Life (Hardcover)
You won't read this book and learn the reasons behind how and why a human being could ever be capable of enforcing such a horrible, horrible life on an 11 year old girl. After reading this book in two days i've realised Jaycee herself does not have these answers, and perhaps never will and therefore she simply can not offer them to us. Instead she can offer us her version of the events that took place during her 18 years of hell, she can offer her reasoning behind why this happened to her and the effect it has had on her life. I've found her ability to convince you that not all of these effects have had a negative impact on he life just astonishing. A stolen life made me laugh and cry, and I wish Jaycee and her two daughters all the luck and happiness in the world from here on after.

5.0 out of 5 stars A story of hope and triumph, 22 July 2011
This review is from: A Stolen Life (Hardcover)
I agree with Rose Gardener's review posted here. I too had to put the book down and did not go back to it sometimes for a few days.Jaycee's book is well written but her story makes you feel such sympathy for her. I don't know how she got through these years, and its even more amazing that it really WAS years. Probation officers for Gariddo failed to find Jaycee. If they had only looked in the back yard and checked it out, they would have found Jaycee probably years sooner. Jaycee should have got more than $20 million and people should have been fired for not looking in the backyard, since the woman who lived nearby told them that she saw kids living in a tent in the backyard. The two campus policewomen from Berkley deserve a great deal of credit for following their intuition which enabled Jaycee to be freed. I wish Jaycee and daughters have a good life filled with happeness and also her mother who never gave up hope of finding her daughter. Jaycee is home at last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Story, 14 Aug 2011
Colin In Blue (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Stolen Life (Hardcover)
I'm not really into the 'woe is me' and 'I had a terrible childhood' type books. But this is different. I was fascinated by the story since I heard about it 2 years ago, and was looking forward to reading this book, as it was written by Jaycee herself, and not some ghostwriter. I wasn't really prepared for the story she told.

I won't go into the background of the story, that's well documented, and if you are reading this, you wil probably know the background anyway.

The first half of the book tells of Jaycee's early years in captivity, and the horrendous sexual abuse she suffered at the hands of her captor. It really is shocking what she went through, and more than once when reading these accounts, I had to put the book down and do something different for a while. The second half of the book, after her children are born, is more to do with her having to accept the way things are and looking after her daughters, but it is still hard to read somethimes, especially her journal entries with her thoughts of home and her family.

The fact that Jaycee has had the courage to write this is remarkable in itself, that she did so in her own words is even more so. I would imagine, though, that it had a cathartic effect for her, being able to write it all down. I would say that the only criticism I have is that there is not much detail of the psychological abuse and brainwashing that she must have gone through. I say this because there are times, several times in fact, when it would have been possible for her to alert others as to who she was, but she chose not to. This could only be because of what that monster did to her. Trying to collate 18 years of torture into just 268 pages means there is still a lot left unsaid.

Would this have been a more coherent, better written book if it had been written a few years from now? Maybe, but it wouldn't be the same story. This is how it was, and writing it from the vantage point of the future would inevitabley smooth the edges and it doesn't deserve that softening.

This is a remarkable, horrific, and terribly moving story. It's not for the faint-hearted. when you finish the final page, you will hug your children if you have them. Jaycee's story will stay with you long after the book is finsihed. Jaycee is an incredibly brave woman. I hope she and her family can find some peace and comfort in the years ahead. Read it, and thank your lucky stars. God bless you, Jaycee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, told very well, 3 Sep 2011
This review is from: A Stolen Life (Hardcover)
Im studying Criminology at university and am truly fascinated by books giving insight into the psychological aspects of crime. This book did not disapoint. It is very easy to read, and Jaycee tells the story very well. At the end of most chapters there is a "reflection" section, where she looks back on what she has been talking about through her adult mind, which adds a brilliant perspective to the story.

I have nothing but admiration for her being able to stand up and tell her story, as there is no doubt it would have been extremly difficult to do. I really believe her story will help others who have been a victim of kidnapping. This book is a must-read book for anyone interested in her story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling but heartbreaking read, 29 July 2011
This review is from: A Stolen Life (Kindle Edition)
I found this book was well written and from the heart. Jaycee does go into detail regarding the disgusting abuse she suffered from this monster but I think it was her way of making people understand what she went through and how she is a survivior. The thing that I found so wonderful is the love she has for her daughters and mother which made the book easier to read when the abuse chapters made me feel like I could not continue reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Stolen Life - Great book by Jaycee Dugard, 20 Aug 2011
Bernadette Vause (Newcastle NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Stolen Life (Hardcover)
I highly recommend A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard. This was a can't put down book. It was very moving and brought me to tears in a few places. She is a remarkable woman considering what she went through.

A Stolen Life