on 29 May 2012
I've had the Samsung Galaxy S 4.0 Wifi for about a month now and I have to say absolutely love it and could not recommend it highly enough, though bearing in mind that this is my entry into the world of 'smart' devices.

Essentially I was looking for a great smartphone, but without the phone bit as contracts are horrendously expensive and I would not really get the benefits from one. I needed it to be able to do several things:
1) Satellite navigation (via GPS rather than the mobile network of course ). It does this like a dream after downloaded the Sygic App for £17.49. It's as easy to use as any TomTom device, and even works inside old stone walled buildings in Wales
2) Route tracker. I have acheived this through the View Ranger App and by downloading 1:50,000 OS maps - all of Wales coverage for under £13. I have found this to be exceptional on hikes and wild camps in the mountains as well as tracking progress on coastal paths. I was absolutely blown away by its accuracy too
3) Music player - I bought a genuine Samsung 32GB micro SD card and dowloaded the PowerAMP app. Full equalizer maniluplation and album art, etc. Best of all is that no iTunes software is necessary :)
4) Camera and video recorder. Both excellent features about this device and crucial for my work when out in the field meeting clients. Quick and easy to use, though there does appear to be a couple of seconds delay on the shutter time
5) Full internet access through the WiFi - at home I managed to download a 730 MB file onto the device via my router in about 26 minutes. In rural Wales I am happy with this. Gmail App is excellent as is Twitter and so on
6) Simplicity. I needed something that is simple to use, intuitive and reasonably quick. The Samsung Galaxy S ticks each box without a problem. Additional, connectivity to the PC is simple - drag and drop. That is all you need to do.

For me these are all the functions I really need, but I have enjoyed other Apps to date including BBC iPlayer, convertpad, Met Office, Google Earth, Forest Xplorer24/7 Timelapse and UK Tides.

One niggle is that it fails to play many Flash files including BBC News videos, Telegraph videos and so on. This may be that the website don;t fully support mobile devices yet, or it could be an issue with Flash Player generally. Who knows?

Having messed around now with my friends iPod Touch, I am very pleased I went with the Samsung.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again