Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Learn more Shop now

Format: DVD|Change

on 26 December 2014
New season with new episodes, another nice time with Nick Park's awesome sheep.

Again we have Shaun trying to get himself out of trouble or solving a problem someone from the farm is having. But this time, we have changes. As two years passed between the first and second season, Aardman decided to work on some aspects of the show. In the design of the characters, in the image quality, and in the animation.
For the design, Bitzer's fur is textured, the farmer's hair and face more cartoonish, and for Pidsley the cat, a complete redesign has been done. One that I much prefer over the plain reddish one in the first season. About that character, the writers decided to integrate him more into the storylines. Indeed, we have at least five episodes dealing with Pidsley as a major antagonist to either Bitzer, Shaun, or the flock and it's nice because it offers more conflict opportunities for the characters as that cat is very sneaky and mischeavous. We also have the "fox" coming this season, for two good episodes where he displays very cunning tactics to attack the farm's habitants.
As for the image quality this season, it is much sharper than in the last one and it shows as the colors are sharp. In fact, I have to say the lighting in this season is even more precise and rich than what we originallly had as we have more tints of colors unlike in the first one where they were fewer. Finally, for the animation, I find the movements of the chracters, their facieal expressions more fluid and expressive; and the use of post-production effects (smokes, fire, vapours, camera zoom-ins or zoom-outs, etc.) more precise than what we had the previous season. As if they were happening inside the story. Some very good ones took place in "Super Size Timmy", "Cat Got Your Brain", and in "Spring Lamb" and "Bitzer from the Black Lagoon".

Of the storylines, the quality was as good as in the first season. But this time, we have the special treat of having Nick Park himself (creator of "Wallace and Gromit" and "Shaun the Sheep") in the writing of one episode entitled "Party Animals". That episode, as with "Cat Got Your Brain", "Operation Pidsley", "The Big Chase", and "Super Size Timmy", is another favourite I loved to rewatch. But one that I adored was the episode "Two's Company" which involved a new character that only appeared in this episode. Which is too bad because considering the ending that episode has, I would have expected the character to come back in other stories or be seen among the animals of the farm. Maybe the writers could reintroduce that character somewhere in a new episode or something.

In the special features, we only have one in the last DVD. An animatic that shows us the storyboard for the episode "We wish Ewe a Merry Christmas". Which allows us to know how they set up their episode's framing, animation timework, and know if the story's flowing well or not before doing the animation. Through this bonus, we also see corrections that the director, screenwriter, and animators did together after viewing the animatic and while working on the episode and if you watch closely, you'll clearly see a change they did I felt was better for it added a twist for the characters' actions in that episode.

In conclusion, this Season is another proof that Shaun the Sheep is a success for all ages.
on 16 January 2015
Yes I'm a 50 something adult who loves Shaun the Sheep and no I don't even have children. I usually reserve Shaun for watching right before bed because it's amusing and relaxing. It takes my stress away and helps me sleep or relax so much better. If I live to be 90 I'll still love Shaun the Sheep!
on 10 November 2011
Me and my son are in stitches watching all these episodes, keeps us both entertained for a long period of time. Comes in lovely box set, cant fault this at all, picture is lovely, all episodes/discs are great! Highly reccomend.
on 19 October 2011
I loved Shaun the Sheep Series 1. My family and I have watched it countless times so I know every episode off by heart. I kept looking for series 2 to come out and was so excited when I could finally pre-order it. It is as magical and funny as the first and my only complaint is that they have changed the look of the cat, farmer, pigs and ever Bitzer! Thankfully all the sheep look the same. Bitzer bothers me the most, he is different colours and is "furry". Even the pigs look different, their noses and ears are not the same as before. The farmer has a big line dividing his face purporting to be stubble. Hey, maybe I am just fussy. I just dont know why people mess with something perfect?

Enjoy anyway x
33 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 April 2014
Great, clean, simple fun for all ages. Well done, good imagination, attention to details, clever choice of music. I greatly enjoy it and I like to watch it often as a means of relaxation.
on 16 January 2014
we and our children just love it!! We also enjoy laughing together. we can only recommend it. perfect, fun and good entertainment.
on 9 January 2015
Where would I be without Sean? Fantastic for keeping all the family entertained. Bought ostensibly for my three year old but I love it myself. Such great gags. This is our 2nd DVD set and I suspect it won't be our last....
on 18 June 2013
I would rate this almost as good if not just as good as the first season. I'm amazed at the sheer creativity of the producers and the quality of the animation. We watch an episode every night as a family (and with any guest who might be there) and everyone loves it, whatever their age or cultural background. Each episode is only six minutes long, so if you don't like wasting precious time in front of the telly (which is our case), you'll apreciate this, and each episode can stand alone. I've even thought of using an episode or two with my language classes as there can be a lot to discuss with the proper preparation.
This series is apropriate for younger viewers, with obviously no strong language (all language is deliberately unintelligible) and great use of pictograms. As we don't watch the telly much (about 6-15 minutes a day, if that), my children are quite easily scared by what they see on screen. Here, there's nothing to worry about. It's a reassuring, funny and beautiful universe.
on 6 January 2012
absolutley fantastic, great price too. bought for my brother who's 50 and he loves it. kept everyone entertained for hours. would highly recomend.
on 6 April 2016
Excellent series, great fun and amazing detail from the animators. Forget wasting this on kids, this is for everybody. Especially loved the episode where Bitzer has a cold and the snot goes everywhere, gross and so funny. Anyone who loved the first series will definitely enjoy this.