Published on 17 Oct 2011 by D. Page

3.0 out of 5 stars Showing its age.
Although the story lines are good and I enjoyed it the first around in the dim and distant past, the whole series shows its age too much for me and I never got past the first two or three episodes.
Published 16 months ago by tartlet

5.0 out of 5 stars Shoestring: Series One - UNCUT (except for one minor music replacement) !!!!, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: Shoestring - Series 1 [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
Having been a huge Shoestring fan since childhood, and being well aware of the past difficulties in releasing this programme to DVD, I thought I was dreaming when I found out that 2entertain was releasing Series One to DVD. As if this was not a surprise enough, it was widely reported that, apart from one minor music replacement, this entire first series is being transferred uncut. I have many different recordings of both Series One and Series Two, recorded via many different broadcasts, and, apart from my 2008 BBC Four broadcast of 'Mocking Bird' (Series Two, Episode Three), none of these broadcasts are uncut. I also have the past VHS release of `Private Ear/Find the Lady', which has also been slightly edited. As an interesting side-note, I also have a `Compact Cassette' (remember those!) audio recording of the original uncut 1980 broadcast of the final episode of Series Two `The Dangerous Game', which I made when I was 11, with a microphone placed to the TV speaker! (I had to stifle any coughs!).

I can confirm that this DVD release of Series One is uncut, apart from one minor music replacement. It occurs in Episode 1 `Private Ear', about 23 minutes into the episode, during Eddie's conversation with Don Satchley on the boat. The music playing in the background was originally Lene Lovich's "Lucky Number", and has been replaced with Blondie's "Heart of Glass". Unless you knew of this music replacement, you would not notice anything has been changed. All dialogue is intact and completely unaffected and it does not alter the episode's running time, as all visual footage also remains intact. Ditch your old UKTV Drama/Alibi recordings, and the 2002 BBC1 afternoon repeats of Series One - this 2entertain release is THE definitive collection of Series One episodes!

The transfer is relatively noise-free. The audio and visual quality of Shoestring does vary from episode-to-episode, and, as such, there is film dirt here-and-there, the occasional washed out picture and some slight aliasing in places, but I have never seen Shoestring look as good as this. The mono audio does have occasional partial dropout, but nothing serious. I understand that, because there did not seem to be any masters of the Series One episodes in existence which were uncut, 2entertain made fresh telecine transfers from the original film materials in order to ensure that all episodes were, indeed, the uncut episodes. They then made this one minor audio replacement in Episode 1 and then transferred them all to DVD. 2entertain should be applauded for taking this trouble and they have certainly done an excellent job in transferring this 16mm material to DVD.

For anyone who is interested, the running times of all episodes in this DVD release are as follows:

Ep.1 `Private Ear' 55'04"
Ep.2 `Knock for Knock' 50'00"
Ep.3 `Higher Ground' 48'04"
Ep.4 `An Uncertain Circle' 50'31"
Ep.5 `Listen to Me' 48'34"
Ep.6 `Nine Tenths of the Law' 48'42"
Ep.7 `The Link-Up' 53'22"
Ep.8 `Stamp Duty' 51'12"
Ep.9 `Find the Lady' 49'50"
Ep.10 `The Partnership' 53'27"
Ep.11 `I'm a Believer' 50'02"

As a final point, it is interesting, looking at the uncut episode running times just how irregular they are. This often happened with programmes of this age - look at the irregular running times of `Fawlty Towers', for instance.

This 2entertain DVD release is worth every penny, and I urge all Shoestring fans to buy this. I have been reliably informed that there are no plans - at present - to release Series Two, so, the more people who buy this DVD release of Series One, the more chance there is of 2entertain releasing Series Two, hopefully also uncut. Here's hoping !!!

I would appreciate any comments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shoestring - Series 1 - Outstanding! Even better than I remember first time around, 11 May 2012
M. Smith "MS" (UK, Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shoestring - Series 1 [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
After recently adding this to my Amazon Wish List I was fortunate enough to then be given the DVD as a birthday gift.

I was hoping that the series was as good as I remembered the first time around in 1979. After eagerly watching all the episodes across a period of a few weeks I am pleased to report that it is even better than I remembered. Shoestring is some of the very best best television viewing I have enjoyed in recent years. The DVD has been put together very nicely and for 30 year old films, the picture quality is, in the main, very good indeed. I am extremely pleased.

If you haven't bought Shoestring series one yet, then buy it now. I'm sure you wont be disappointed!

I immediately wanted to purchase Shoestring Series 2, however I discovered that it has not yet been released. I contacted the bbcshop and they directed me to 2Entertain who acquire and market many BBC television programmes, including series one of Shoestring.

2Entertain replied advising that they have no immediate plans to release series 2, but they said if they received enough interest the release of series two may be considered: "....as each quarter we review public enquiries and often revisit titles which are frequently requested."

If you're eagerly anticipating being able to buy Shoestring series 2 it may be a great idea to send 2Entertain a note expressing your interest!

Contact 2Entertain at - DVDenquiryline@2entertain.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks from a writer, 10 Jan 2012
This review is from: Shoestring - Series 1 [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
I wrote episode 11 on the DVD ("I'm a believer"). It's very pleasing that so many people have posted such positive comments about the series.

After that episode was shown I had a huge number of letters from people whose children had been more or less abducted by sects like the Moonies, and somehow seeing it in a drama context helped them to feel that they were right in trying to prise their loved ones out of the grip of some nasty mind-controlling people.

If what I was told at the time is true, there were no more series because Trevor Eve didn't want to become type-cast in the role. Similar things happened with "Hazell", which I also wrote for.

I'm sure I can say on behalf of all the writers and Bob Banks-Stewart, who created produced it, that we did our best to make something good. We also wish that TV was as adventurous now as it was then. So thanks for watching. You're probably not aware that I haven't seen it since it was first broadcast! The fact that the episodes exist at all is a miracle - the BBC threw some very significant plays into a skip.

Jim

5.0 out of 5 stars No planned DVD release for series 2, 10 Feb 2014
R.Over (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shoestring - Series 1 [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
Shoestring was a little before my time. I bought the DVD as I was trying to find some cheap shows to watch and bought it off the recommendation from others on Amazon.

I loved it.

There are many reviews on here that give you a honest opinion of the great show, but I want to make people aware that 2entertain have no plans to produce series 2 on DVD.
I emailed 2entertain, which is now a BBC company, to ask when series 2 would be released, they explained that due to musical copyright and lack of public interest, they would be looking at a non-profitable production. You can't blame them for that, but I asked if they received enough emails asking for a release then could there be a possibility, they didn't say 'Yes', but if there was a high volume of correspondence, then they will review their decision.

So my advice is to email dvdenquiryline@2entertain.co.uk and hopefully it might get the ball rolling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shoestring watched it when originally broadcast in 1979, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: Shoestring - Series 1 [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
Still as enjoyable as when first viewed in 1979.The lower picture quality is acceptable the production dates back about 34 years

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of The Show Itself, 5 Aug 2011
This review is from: Shoestring - Series 1 [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
This is a fondly remembered British TV detective series. Eddie Shoestring is a Private Eye, who has his own show on Radio West. A radio station run by Don Snatchley played by Michael Medwin. The series also stars Liz Crowther as Sonia, the receptionist. An oft Miss Moneypenny character to Shoestring's James Bond. (if you have a good imagination)

Eddie Shoestring suffers a nervous breakdown. Leaving behind a career as a computer expert, when computers were more like the size of your coffee table, to become a Private Eye (which always seemed a strange career choice following a breakdown to me, but hey-ho). Trevor Eve played the eponymous character of the series. I remember large posters of him on my then girlfriend's wall, as well as my mate's sister's wall, next to David Soul.

It first aired in late 1979 until late 1980, as far as I can muster 21 episodes in total. Trevor Eve quit after series two to move back into theatre work. The format of this show moved base to became the even more loved "Bergerac" (who didn't have his own radio show). Interesting Shoestring is the roots of Bergerac though.

I love watching shows like this especially to see the cars of the day, particularly nostalgic too was the music used in the show. Rumour has it edits are to be made due to the greediness of copyright fees, which is a shame. I hope it won't ruin the episodes as other DVD releases of a similar vain have been ruined (Bergerac included). George Fenton's theme is one of the all-time great TV theme tunes of the 80s.

A laid back, loveable character of the day, but one wonders, did Shoestring only have one suit? He's often seen wearing what appears to be the same thing.

The show ran throughout the eighties (only two series were made but repeated. As of this date re-runs are currently being shown on SKY channel "Alibi"). Shoestring brings us one of those "They don't make them like that anymore" shows.

Famous guest stars include: Harry H. Corbett (Steptoe and Son) in one of his last TV roles, Diana Dors (Much loved film and TV Actress), Singer Toyah, who performs in an episode of this series with some of her own material, (hopefully not a copyright problem and this episode is included in the DVD, it was one of the best), Christopher Biggins (TV Presenter), Patrick Malahide (Chisholm in Minder), Pam St. Clement & Tony Caunter (Pat and Roy in Eastenders), Gary Holton & Kevin Whately (Both on the trail of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet), Gordon Kaye ('Allo 'Allo), Peter Dean (Pete Beal in Eastenders), Michael Elphick (Boon), Lynda Bellingham (now of Loose Women), and even Daniel Day-Lewis (international film star today).

The series one DVD is released (apparently, after much delay) in October 2011. Let's hope it maintains its nostalgic feel and ridiculous edits are not going to make me come back to remove the four stars I've given, based on the memories of the series I have. Keep the feel! Keep the nostalgia!

I've given four stars, as I've thought the show had still to fully develop, and Trevor Eve quit wayyyyy too soon. I will be buying the DVD though, and still maintain, it's well worth purchasing (taking what I said about rumoured cuts and edits aside), you will get hooked in the nostalgia.

Truthfully, I prefer Shoestring to Bergerac any day of the week, although the latter was infinitely more successful. If Trevor Eve stuck by it for a series or three more, it would have been the phenomenon that Bergerac became.

5.0 out of 5 stars shoestring series 1, 15 May 2014
I remember this Shoestring series from over 30 years ago,when it was
shown here in Sweden.Very good.I will buy series 2 when it is available
on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life before kids., 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Shoestring - Series 1 [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
We used to watch Shoestring soon after we married. Now enjoying watching it with our 16 year old son. Having lived in Bristol after the series and visited again last year, great to see the area again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shoestring - Series 1 (DVD) (1979), 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: Shoestring - Series 1 [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
I had forgotten just how good this series was, after such a long time it was refreshing to see a good old fashioned gumshoe who didn't have all the answers. Who would take a bit of "stick" to get to the bottom of things,who wasn't afraid to buck the system but also had a soft spot for the victims. I really enjoyed this series, I hope there will be a dvd release of other series of Shoestring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Series, 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: Shoestring - Series 1 [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
I've been living in Bristol for over 15 years now, and missed the original series (I was probably out on my Chopper). So it was wonderful to watch Shoestring for the first time and see how much Bristol has changed in 30 years since this programme was first made.

Trever Eve is so different in this than anything else I've seen him in, softly spoken, gentle and funny.

Well worth a watch, go on, treat yourself.

Shoestring - Series 1 [DVD] [1979]
Shoestring - Series 1 [DVD] [1979] by Trevor Eve (DVD - 2011)
7.26