5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing (lowers blood pressure too!!!)
Published on 15 Aug 2012 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Few insights here
Published 21 months ago by Jack

2.0 out of 5 stars Few insights here, 18 Nov 2012
Jack (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Have a New Teenager by Friday: How to Establish Boundaries, Gain Respect & Turn Problem Behaviors Around in 5 Days (Kindle Edition)
With a daughter entering her teenage years, with the associated ups and downs for me as a parent I felt I needed help understanding how to best navigate these difficult waters. While I can strongly recommend Lucie Hemmen's 'Parenting a Teen Girl', Dr Leman's book is of little use beyond stating the fairly obvious in a rather condescending way. While Hemmen's book covers enough psychology (in layman's terms) to be properly useful, Dr Leman is coming from a very specific moral angle (US conservative) which makes his arguments harder to implement if you don't agree with his view of the world. God, the Bible, and sex only within marriage, recur frequently as themes. If your teenage daughter is careless enough to get pregnant then the only course of action is for the baby to be given up for adoption. This is less a book about understanding and communicating with your teenager, as a manifesto of Dr Leman's moral views, tricky if you don't share them. The book is very US centric in other ways (your child's access to one of the family cars comes up regularly, with hiding the car keys a popular Leman punishment), including its overly casual tone and frequent US sporting metaphors. Combined with Dr Leman's clearly rather positive view of himself and his charming, well-balanced children who pop up regularly in anecdotes as if to rub in even more how useless you must be at parenting if yours aren't as delightful, and the book is mildly irritating as well as of little practical use. If you have a daughter buy Lucie Hemmen's book instead which really was a helpful read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing (lowers blood pressure too!!!), 15 Aug 2012
An American based book but the principles translate to UK life also. I found myself in need of a bit of redecorating (Mondays Chapter). Dr Leman comes across as a 'normal' parent, not one who preaches as holier than thou. Reading the real life accounts and his personal and family tales I found myself nodding in agreement, laughing aloud and totally reassurred that my son is not an alien in human form!
I could feel my blood boiling at times, - early morning alarm call, being late for events, getting jobs done etc that often I would stress myself out ensuring all was done. The notion that I not only could, but was supported to allow him to be late if he didnt get up on time and face the conequences, to miss chores but to also miss a lift to a mates house or another 'favour' was hard to swallow but boy did it work! I simply left him to sleep through and miss the bus. I did drive him to school (late) but did not provide the required note to excuse him. A detention and missed breaks solved it for me. Dont get me wrong, we still have our moments but I try hard to remember the walk away, say nothing until later and action/consequence plans. An ongoing plan for life, incidently my mum wishes she had read the book when I was a teenager (SORRY MUM!!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reading and tips., 2 April 2014
Interesting and easy to read with good tips for Teens, good section on Q&A in the back. The author gives summarized tips at the end of each chapter to use in real life situations!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book you need, parents!, 29 Jan 2014
S. N. K. Jnr (London,UK) - See all my reviews
Still reading it and it is my guide. even the kids dont understand why I read this book even though they are not teenagers yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 29 Oct 2013
I like the commonsense and humourous way that it is written, and the cool tips. wish I had read it years ago.