4.0 out of 5 stars Great read
Gary's latest, his fifth novel, is a novel of future apocalypse and wormholes. Written in a fast paced style from a number of different people's viewpoints, it is a cracking holiday read.

The story is set in 2235. The key premise of the tale is that wormholes, if one end is accelerated to relativistic speeds, can allow people to travel hundreds of light years...
Published on 10 Aug. 2011 by M. Yon

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, lazy, soggy sci-fi.
Hmmm...tricky one, this. I tried to like it, honest, but the alleged intricate plot, compelling characters and superbly imagined alien civilisation were nowhere to be seen. What I saw was a plot predicated on a very esoteric bit of physics (time travel via FTL wormholes), sloppy grammar, an over abundance of shallow, disposable characters and a disappointing linear and...
Published on 9 Mar. 2013 by Willy Eckerslike

5.0 out of 5 stars Final Days, 20 July 2012
This is my first real dip into a science fiction novel for a long time and I have to say that I absolutely loved this book! I was thoroughly unable to put it down until I'd savored every last word.

The book is really quite complicated. However, it appears to revolve around the responses and reactions of various characters to an extinction-level event on earth caused by human error with regard to the mishandling of extra-terrestrial devices retrieved from something called the Founder Network. I get slightly confused after that and will re-read this book a good few times to thoroughly understand it.

However, the descriptions the author gives us of alien worlds and a future Earth are stunning. The technology and science are fascinating and intriguing. The plot does leave you guessing until the last couple of chapters and is thoroughly engrossing. I don't pretend to completely understand this book just yet but I did truly enjoy it and can't rate it highly enough.

This is a great read, even if your not a wormhole expert or far-future specialist. Truly fantastic, try it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good!, 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Final Days (Kindle Edition)
Overall a good read. It maintains a sense of mystery throughout while the plot builds in intensity resulting in a explosive and satisfying end. It was a little hard to follow in places but that may just have been me. Well worth buying.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing New, 28 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Final Days (Kindle Edition)
Alien technology destroying earth, wormholes, a little time travelling trick that I still havent quite got my head around involving 2 wormoles, self serving beurocracy.

Neal Asher does it better, faster & more plausibly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gibson's first novel post-Shoal series, 15 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Final Days (Hardcover)
Gibson's first novel post-Shoal series (which I wasn't a great fan of really).
Excellent opening sequence reminiscent of the original Alien movie...spacesuited team exploring huge alien structures on a dark, cold world...and guess what....something bad happens.
Turns out a long disappeared race (The Founders) have left us some nasty surprises hidden in their tech (which a covert govt agency are keeping secret of course).
In the novel Gibson explores the idea that once we have the technology to open worm-holes light-years apart, we also have an impromptu time travel device. In the novel this allows us to peer forward in time and glimpse the after effects of a mysterious calamity which has left the Earth barren and unpopulated.
Opening the wormhole effectively means that all events that take place in the time period between the hole's opening are now set in stone, predetermined and fixed. With this realisation our main characters don't waste time trying to prevent the catastrophe (and save the planet's population) instead they work to find the cause and who is to blame for it, and let as many people know as possible. Oh, and get off the planet before it happens of course.
In the meantime, the various covert agencies in the know are working to get as many men and resources off-world to mankind's sprinkling of space colonies as possible. Sod the rest of us.

There's something for everyone here, wormholes reminiscent of Stargate, the end of the world at the hands of mysterious alien forces, corrupt covert agencies, future technologies (the internet is accessed through contact lenses, which I find more aesthetically pleasing than, say, Neal Asher's cyborg-like grafting of hardware to the human body), there is even an old couple who run a space travel company offering trips to the moon in replicas of the Apollo / Saturn 5 moonshots.
Gibson cobbles together a lot of familiar SF tropes into an overall coherent whole here, and I'll be interested to see where he goes with it in his next outing (there is the promise of a series here according to his Wiki entry).
There was something about Final Days that reminded me of Paul McAuley's 'Cowboy Angels' (covert agent redeeming himself in a race against time via handy wormholes etc etc).

I'd give this 6 out of 10...which means it's worth a read, the story jogs along and remains engaging, though hardly original in it's ideas or plot.

More SF-Twit reviews here [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Enjoyable Story Telling, 3 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Final Days (Kindle Edition)
This is a solid, good read. I found the characters engaging the story idea interesting and it leaves room for follow on Novels with a good balance of questions answered and unanswered.

3.0 out of 5 stars Got lost in the plot, 18 April 2013
M. Ives (Claydon, Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
Full of great ideas and seems to be full of promise, just poorly laid out. I have read some very convoluted stories in my time but this one is really disjointed. From the begining I couldn't understand what was really going on - even read it twice to try and fully understand.
The individual bits, scenes\chapters, are very well written and nicely executed; it is just the linking of them all together that is poor. Jarring.
I think it could be a great novel, just hope the sequels are better laid out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Final Days (Kindle Edition)
This is a great story. Full of action and a good pace. All characters and plots are relevant and enhance the overall story.

I loved the ideas for wormhole travel and the alien buildings they find in the future. I actually wish there had been more story lines for when they are exploring the alien buildings, but looking back it would not have provided anything extra towards the story line, it would have just been interesting. I realy enjoyed this book x

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, fast-paced sci-fi lite, 31 July 2012
J. Gardner "jimmegee" (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Final Days (Kindle Edition)
I'm desperately trying to get back into Sci-Fi after years of avoiding the genre. Iain M Banks' metaphysical space opera is at one end of the modern Sci-Fi spectrum, and this is at the other. It's sci-fi lite. A good, fast-paced story about nothing smaller than the end of the world (and potentially humanity). There's a fair bit of imagination put in here and I will probably give Gibson another try in future. Worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top sci fi, 3 Jan. 2013
Stuart Burton (Lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Couldnt put this down till I finished it. The first but not the last Gary Gibson book I will read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard to believe, 14 Sept. 2014
Darryl Godfrey "Darryl Godfrey" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
What ruined this book for me was the time-travel-by-wormhole stuff. I am not by any means a physics expert, but I just couldn't suspend my disbelief. So much of the story depended on time travel, that it kind of fell apart for me overall. Not his best book, in my opinion.

Final Days