4.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical Reviews - Blackstone: Drawing the Circle by Jason Beineke, 19 Oct 2011
This review is from: Blackstone: Drawing the Circle (Book #1 of the Blackstone Series) (Kindle Edition)
I think high fantasy is one of those genres that can go epically wrong as well as epically right, it is the domain of extreme imagination and a big mistake is to think that all readers are going to get along with the writer's imagination, with a completely new world. I am very happy to say that Jason Beineke's book is one of those high fantasies that has gone epically right.

Often my big beef with high fantasies is that authors can lose their characters in their efforts to establish the world they have created but in Drawing the Circle, the characters are really at the forefront of the story. I'm not saying Jason has neglected his world-building, far from it. He has a really beautiful, lyrical way of drawing the reader through Blackstone's world, creating vivid settings and fascinating cultures. Jason's heroes are really complex and engaging. I love a band of misfits thrown together by fate, and these three really are on the peripheries of society: a mercenary sorcerer, an orphan of unknown potential and a werewolf. I'm particularly grateful to Jason for going back to the roots of lycanthropy, before changing into a wolf at the full moon became sexy. He creates a terrifying experience for readers and a real sense of pity for Loralune, forced to undergo this painful and hideous transformation at night. Hiroe and Blackstone's relationship, I think, is the real cornerstone to this story. Two people who come together because they were fighting on opposite sides in a battle and then forced together by Hiroe's slain father. Resenting each other's presence to begin with, the growth in their relationship is really touching to read and is a real testament to the written character.

Beware, however, because within these pages you will encounter some of the most hideous evil forces that usually only inhabit the darkest parts of your worst nightmares. I'm a real advocate for the "bad guy" and Jason's dark forces really turned my stomach, sitting vividly in my imagination not only whilst I was reading but also when I had put the book down. It's a great test of an evil character if they stay with you long after you've finished the book!

I'm really glad Jason sent me his book to read as it really is the kind of book that keeps my faith in epic fantasy and leaves me wanting more. The characters are really strong and individual and as the story developed I became really attached to them, but it's not as if the story itself was any less important. It's a really gripping story line with a fantastic twist that has strange dreamlike qualities: you have an inkling that something isn't quite right but you're not sure if your suspicions are correct. It keeps you turning the pages, busting to know what is actually going on. And now I'm busting to read the next in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blackstone: Drawing the Circle, 13 Aug 2011
I really like this book. It concerns two brother, well half brothers. Their father is the King. These two are the two youngest of four brothers. Although one is slightly older than the other. Their father sets them an impossible task. Of saving a town from a maruading force.
The town to which they have been sent was attacked by this same force 12 years previously, and the brothers task is to try and prevent it happening again.
The brother don't get on. This proved when the older of the two rapes the younger. For that reason. I doubt it is suitable for younger readers. It is fairly graphic. There is a slight gay, homosexual element to the story, but it doesn't take anything away from the story. And it is not overtly done.
The final chapter has a twist, which at first looked as if a whole section had been omitted or taken out. But once you understand whats happening, then it makes sense. A good read. The ending is open, so there could be a sequel/s. Please excuse my writing as this is the first ever review I have done.

Blackstone: Drawing the Circle