5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional sound quality
Published on 11 Dec 2011 by Ben Twigg

2.0 out of 5 stars First excited the disappointed..
Same story here. I also had NWZ-S639F but bought A866 because of more space and better interface.. I was really disappointed with the sound quality.
Published on 30 Oct 2011 by I. Farmerini

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional sound quality, 11 Dec 2011
This review is from: Sony 32GB NWZ-A866 black, NWZA866B.CEW (Electronics)
I reviewed this player for the Scotsman.com and have been playing around with it for the past couple of weeks. It's a lot smaller than in looks on the Internet and the screen is ultra responsive. I've traditionally used Cowon MP3 Players due to their exceptional sound quality but for my ears the Sony is just about as good. Quite a few people have complained about the volume capping, I didn't notice this - anything above volume level 25 was too loud for me. For once the earphones included are very good. Great player and exceptional sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product - Why Don't Sony Push Them More?, 8 Mar 2012
SONY Video-Walkman NWZ-A866B (32GB) black

This is my second Walkman MP3. My first, an NWZ-A818 is still performing well after 4 years, but it is only 8Gb and I was getting fed-up having to delete tracks in order to fit new ones on. I had to think long and hard about getting the NWZ-A866 as it is quite pricey. However, I am very happy with the quality and performance of the player (although I still think it could be a bit less expensive). I should mention out at this point that I want an MP3 player purely for music, I'm not interested in games at all, and not much bothered by photo or video use; I just want to listen to my music. The interface is very easy to get along with, especially for previous Walkman users. The touch screen is a joy to use; it also allows easier and more flexible navigation over the non-touch screen versions. The hold button can be configured to disable all functions or just the touch screen. I just disable the touch screen, the side buttons are quite firm and not easily pressed in error; and this allows me to move foreward or back through tracks and alter the volume while the player is in my pocket. The radio seems fine, although I've not used it much and FM reception isn't great round my area anyway. There are some new functions on this player that I've not used before, the main one is DPC which is a speed control for tracks. As I am currently learning to play guitar, I am hoping that being able to slow tracks down by 50% will help me learn to play along to songs. I personally cannot see much use for the function to speed tracks up, but others may find a use for it. The headphones (MDR-EX 300) that come with the player are excellent and the sound quality of the player and headphones is fantastic (far superior to my daughter's iPod - in my opinion). There are some negatives; the player will not fit in the Sony docking device that I use with the A818, the new player is too wide and the cradle adapter that came with it is also too wide, (Sony does a poor job of supporting its WM-Port devices, choosing instead to concentrate on churning out iPod docking gadgets; a policy that baffles me.) Battery life is of course not as good as the A818, but as the screen is twice as big, and there are more power draining facilities, that is to be expected. As for loading the device, I normally use Windows Media Player, but decided to give the bundled software 'Sony Media Go' a try; it seems quite good. There are pros and cons over Windows Media Player, but I find both much more useable than iTunes software.

There is a firmware update for the A866, which I applied before using, so this review is for a device running Firmware 1.01.

Some reviews have commented about the volume; I have not needed to put the volume above the halfway level and have found that perfectly adequate.

Purchasing from Advanced MP3 Players, through Amazon Market place was easy and painless; I chose standard delivery of 2 to 3 days, but it actually arrived the next day - very good service.

Overall, although I think Sony's price a tad high, I am very happy with the A866; the build of the player is of a very high standard and it feels good to hold and use. Most importantly, the sound quality is superb. I just wish Sony would have a bit more faith in their Walkman products and support them with a greater range of accessories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but Sony has done better, 26 Oct 2011
This review is from: Sony 32GB NWZ-A866 black, NWZA866B.CEW (Electronics)
O.K. I suppose I am spoilt by the fact that I have a Sony NWZ-S639F 16gb MP3 player. This MP3 player is absolutely perfect in every way apart from the fact that it only has 16gb of storage.

So I upgrade to the Sony NWZ-A866B and it is just o.k.

The NWZ-A866B is noticeably quieter than my NWZ-S693F. Also, the NWZ-S693F has more bass and treble which means a wider soundstage.

If I did not have a NWZ-S693F I would have been very pleased with this MP3 player. It's just that I now Sony can do better.

The headphones supplied with it sound almost as good as my Monster Beats Solo HD's which is saying something....

Anyway, I will use the NWZ-A866B as a backup to my NWZ-S693F which is a shame as I could do with the more storage it offers.

Update 30/10/11: Bought one of those little headphone amplifiers and now the device is sounding like it should do. Is it the case that the EU have imposed restrictions on the sound limit of MP3 players? If so then this ruling is ruining the sound of this player.

If you want to get the best out of this player buy a headphone amplifier and it will open up the sound to you..

2.0 out of 5 stars First excited the disappointed.., 30 Oct 2011
I. Farmerini - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony 32GB NWZ-A866 black, NWZA866B.CEW (Electronics)
Compared to the previous player this one had even lower volume and the worst thing is if you you listen to a song with normal dynamics it will squash those loud bits (and that's not fair because that's not how the song was presented to the listener). I'm using expensive in-ear headphones from "Shure" and surprised that the EU volume cap is getting worse for each year.. I'm not deaf and I don't want to spend even more money on amplifiers.. It's just that not everybody listens to latest highly compressed commercial music. I'm not listening with the volume set on MAX, but if you have to set it on 25-30 (30 is the highest) the sound quality will get really bad and unlistenable (not because of high volume but compression). I also feel that the EQ settings were much better on my older player and the difference on the new one is if you turn up the BASS, the rest will get lower - so the overall sound won't be too loud :-S
I have all the extra settings turned off..
I doubt that SONY will fix this in a firmware update, so my advice would be to wait with a purchase..

4.0 out of 5 stars It's growing on me!!, 23 Jun 2012
Erin (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony 32GB NWZ-A866 black, NWZA866B.CEW (Electronics)
I have had this played for a couple of months. I have been on holiday so I have had time to listen a lot.

The build quality is excellent and the player is small, light and dinky. Just lovely. Very portable.
It is easy to use although I haven't managed to connect it to anything via bluetooth. My other devices aren't seeing it at all but I'm probably missing a trick somewhere.
The touch screen is super responsive and you can change the wallpaper which is a nice touch.
It works well using Media Go to transfer files. No problem at all.
The included earphones are good.

I don't find the volume cap a problem as some reviewers have. I find 15 / 30 plenty loud enough.
It has a 5 bar equaliser and an average array of sound options. (I could do with more and an 8 or 10 bar equaliser would have been nice.)

Re. SQ
At first I was disappointed but this little player has grown on me. I also have a Sony NWZ-Z1060 which logically (to my brain) should sound better being much more expensive, but each time I plug myself into this one I am astounded by the clear and crisp sound. The trebles are an absolute joy to listen to. I could do with a bit more bass but I have found the use of a Fiio headphone amp perks that up a bit. I generally use my Fiio E5 FiiO E05 Headphone Amplifier and if you would like greater volume then this will sort out the problem for you especially if you also get a Fiio Line Out cable. FiiO L5 Line Out Dock Cable for Sony Walkman MP3 Player

It is definitely worth importing your CDs at 320kbps or flac. It makes a great difference to the SQ.

I listen to music a lot just before going to sleep at night. I have it on quietly. This player has good SQ at low volumes. Some players loose definition at lower volumes; this one does not. It is still clear and precise; warm yet not fuzzy. You can still 'hear' the music.

This would be a five star review if there was a better equaliser and a 64GB version. I fill up 32GB with ease.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony Walkman, 8 Aug 2012
This review is from: Sony 32GB NWZ-A866 black, NWZA866B.CEW (Electronics)
I purchased this so that I could play cd's etc on my Ford Focus's audio system. The product is easy to use and CD's easy to transfer using included software. I had to get the necessary Ford cable to connect to the audio system. At first I couldn't get the system to recognise the MP3 player but then we found the software default setting was to transfer in MP4. Once this had been reset all was ok. Sound through headphones or stereo speakers is excellent. My only gripe was that the system decided to transfer My Pictures file of 7000 shots on to the player. I wish it had asked me first as that has taken up a load on memory. However overall a good product providing excellent (classical music) sound quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony NWZ-A866B, 20 Oct 2012
Bumblesquat "in the dark" (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony 32GB NWZ-A866 black, NWZA866B.CEW (Electronics)
Great product, very easy to use with windows media player, clear screen. I had read comments about volume limiting but I really use it about half volume anyway.
The only reservation I have about this product is the battery, it has a battery life protection mode which limits the charging which should be enabled by default but is not,
as I have been using this item daily for six months and it is now struggling to last an hour over a week. I will hopefully get the battery replaced by sony and use it more efficiently.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, lacking features, 29 Sep 2012
This review is from: Sony 32GB NWZ-A866 black, NWZA866B.CEW (Electronics)
I always buy Sony walkmans even though I know they will be lacking in features that work well ( this is my experience will the previous 3 Walkmans I have bought) but to my ears the sound quality is great and thats all I use it for! My only issue with this one is you can't put songs on a playlist on your walkman you have to use your computer (would be nice).

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth It, 19 Sep 2012
P. R. Scott (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony 32GB NWZ-A866 black, NWZA866B.CEW (Electronics)
I hesitated at first, wondering if a dedicated mp3 player would actually be better than any of the Apple i-things available out there, full of gadgetry and superfluous rubbish, and I'm glad I did the research and plumped for this great product.
Yes, it does have its own share of additional stuff, but that doesn't bother me.
I have 32Gig of music to carry around and play at random wherever I go now in my smart little touch screen Sony.
Sound quality is excellent - my son-in-law let me use his Bose phones to try it - and I love the design and feel of it.
Those people who think that it doesn't go loud enough really do need to have their hearing tested.
I'm fifty seven and took the thing up to about five sixths of its maximum to listen to Metallica and only just found that tolerable - the volume that is, not the music.
I have eclectic tastes that vary from Van Der Graaf Generator to Vivaldi, Detective to Debussy, Budgie to Bach and, oh, well, you get the picture (at an exhibition by Mussorgsky sounded great on this too).
I'll be investing in a pair of headphones for it soon, but need to look into the Bluetooth versus wired variety argument more thoroughly before I part with the cash.
However, I do not regret buying this and would definitely recommend it rather than any of Apple's gimmicky gadgets.
Battery life is super too.
Two three and a half hour flights, two four and a half hour coach trips and two one hour internal flights through the Baltic States, and it still wasn't flat....and I played it to death on the beaches in Greece last week and only recharged it once.
Well done, Sony.
I love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality good, battery possibly not, 11 Aug 2012
This review is from: Sony 32GB NWZ-A866 black, NWZA866B.CEW (Electronics)
Had this mp3 player for a month now and I am happy with the sound quality. The touch screen is a little fiddly but ok to use. The player looks sleek and has a decent screen. My one worry is the battery. On previous sony mp3 players that batteries died after a couple of years and not particularly heavy use. On this player the battery runs from full to empty on a continous play in under 14 hours - where they get the battery life advertised from I do not know but I suspect the volume is set to zero and all enhancements that can use electricity are switched off. I think Sony should be doing better for the money in that respect. BUT overall, I think it is a good purchase and I am happy to recommend it to others. It will probably get cheaper in while so buy then......