5.0 out of 5 stars The funniest, well-crafted story I have ever read...
Published on 19 Jan 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as his other books
This book was not bad, it seemed highly improbable in places, interesting in some parts and boring in others. Having read some of Mr Harington's othr books based in the village of Stay More I was expecting something better. This book did not have me wanting to sit and read till it was finished, I was happy to put it down and do something else for a while.
Published 12 months ago by CP

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The funniest, well-crafted story I have ever read..., 19 Jan 1999
By A Customer
Don't be intimidated by the title of this book. This book is incredible!!!! From the moment I started reading it until I finished, I could not stop laughing!! I have never read a book that made me laugh out loud as much as this book. The author plays with hill-billy stereotypes without being judgemental or condescending toward his characters. He cleverly incorporates many puns and allusions in his story. On top of this, he somehow managed to parallel the evolution of the architecture of the Ozarks with the evolution of Stay More's society without getting tangled in architectural jargon. If you enjoy old folks' tales, you will love this book. The book reminds me of some of Garrison Keillor's better stories, and is not as subtle as some of Keillor's works. I have made friends read this book, and they all loved it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Discovery, 25 Feb 2013
This a truly wonderful book. When I recently recommended it to a friend, I told him to make sure he sits on a chair with armrests, to keep him from falling off when he starts laughing. He later confirmed that this was indeed good advice. "The Architecture of the Arkansas Ozarks" is a particularly good introduction to the world of Stay More, which Harington creates and explores in his novels. It begins with the story of the founding of the town by Jacob and Noah Ingledew, who arrive there from Tennessee back before the Civil War, and follows generations of Ingledews and other inhabitants on their way through the 19th and well into the 20th century. Once you're finished, you'll no doubt want to explore more of this fascinating world. By the way, if you happen to enjoy Greek mythology, keep an eye out for parallels in this and other novels by Harington. It's interesting to see which Gods roam the Ozarks in which mortal form. I haven't yet read all of his novels, but I'm quite sure that I will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual story, 16 Jun 2013
Pange (Ledbury uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Architecture of the Arkansas Ozarks (Stay More series) (Kindle Edition)
This book is well worth a read it is a funny potted history of small town life centred around one fAmily I t takes you on such an amusing and interesting ride using architecture around the morons. Not the type of novel I normally read but I loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming., 12 Jun 2013
A warm, cheering read. The stories are never unbelievable but are wild and wacky; anyone who grew up in the country anywhere in the world will recognise the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun book, 1 Aug 2013
Interesting story about the history of this part of america, and how the original settlers survived through to later times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 23 May 2013
Brilliant book. Probably the funniest I've ever read, and its not really a comedy. Some people say it gets a bit patchy towards the end, which is a fair comment but those 'patches' are kind of filled in if you read some of his other books. I also love some of the philosophy in it. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought The Nearly Complete Works vols 1 and 2, 8 Dec 2012
Donald Harington is severely under-rated. If you like American literature and southern writers in particular, he'll be right up your holler. Original in concept, funny, and beautifully observed, TAOTAO is a real treat!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as his other books, 17 Oct 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing., 22 May 2013
It is an interesting and humorous tale from middle period settlers in America.

Perhaps a bit protracted, but shows the beginning of social development in a Raw Country Situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a novel as large as Arkansas; varied as Delta & Ozarks, 1 Mar 1998
By A Customer
He managed to accurately trace Arkansas from its early development on up to the present. I may be biased since my tribe has been here in the Ozarks since 1819 or so, but he did a fine job with our own special speech patterns and ways. My father, a retired English Professor, enjoyed the "far" out of it too. I am now in the Delta, but I still think like a "hill william," and enjoy reading about us. Thanks Donald for being "fairly" charitable to us hill folks. I would of given you a 10, but hill people don't want to "brag on folks" too much; don't want you to "put on no airs."

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›