4.0 out of 5 stars Challenging
Published on 29 Dec. 2011 by Jim 8888

1.0 out of 5 stars Adds to confusion
This book has one good message, that processed food is bad for you, but the rest sounds like a lot of nonsense. it'snot going to help the obesity crisis by suggesting there is no point swapping a bag of crisps for a banana as they are both starchy!!
Published 21 months ago by Lauren B

4.0 out of 5 stars Challenging, 29 Dec. 2011
This review is from: 20 Diet Myths - Busted. A Manifesto to change how you think about dieting. (Kindle Edition)
This is a wee bit of a polemic against the way we are educated on food these days, by the government, media and big business. I'm not so sure it's a conspiracy, which Harcombe seems to think it might be, but her views are certainly food for thought. Why have we suddenly become obese in the West over the last twenty years despite all the advice we are being given on an almost daily basis to eat better, more healthily and to keep ourselves fit? Is the advice simply wrong? Harcombe argues quite forcefully that it is.
I bought this little book after following the Harcombe diet myself for a while and being almost taken aback by the results - it was weight loss made easy, I have to say. On the other hand, I didn't feel it was the most sensible eating plan out there, but I couldn't really question the results. The combination of the written opinions of Harcombe, and the fact that her advice will make you lose weight if you follow it, certainly challenged and changed my views about "five a day", exercising to lose weight and a number of other food "facts" I'd previously believed. Interesting stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good intro, 6 Sept. 2013
A really good introduction to this topic. Zoe H writes accessibly but if you study the biochemistry it doesn't quite hang together. So go read a professor Lustig's brilliant book "Fat Chance: the bitter truth about sugar". He is an endocrinologist and manages to make biochemistry interesting and accessible. A really well referenced read that has clout enough to make you re assess your diet beliefs concerning saturated fats and sugar. Then read Dr Malcolm Kendricks's The cholesterol con.

5.0 out of 5 stars Explains an awful lot, 30 Aug. 2013
Mrs. M. E. Pettit "Liz Pettit" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a thought-provoking, startling and revelatory little booklet. Once you can stop thinking about calories, you can see why the Harcombe diet works (as well as other low-carb options like Atkins). I have been passing this on to friends who have all been as astounded as I. This should be taught in schools to stop young girls becoming fixated on calorie-counting and that horrible dieting spiral that most of us go through in our teens and onwards. Read it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting reading, 5 Jan. 2013
M. Alden (UK) - See all my reviews
Well worth a read but you can get this as a free download on Zoe's own website so don't pay for it - even 77p! (price at time of writing)

5.0 out of 5 stars The truth is now out there, get this publication, 8 Nov. 2011
I have read most of Zoe Harcombes publications and the information in the 20 myths is as usual excellent. Very well researched with follow up evidence to support everything she says available for you to scrutinise. It is a great summary of her ground breaking book about the real cause of obesity-and what to do about. If you still think "eat less-do more" is a sound health message, that low fat diets and treadmills are the key to prevention of obesity and heart disease-read this and learn the real truth.

5.0 out of 5 stars DON'T LOOK A GIFT HORSE IN THE MOUTH!, 19 Mar. 2014
This is an excellent introduction to the "GREAT FOOD CON" that has been slowly happening for a long time but especially from the 1980's onwards. The Government guidelines on healthy eating did a complete U turn (as expressed in this Kindle book) and as a result, obesity has skyrocketed! (I don't believe in coincidences....do you?)
If things continue as they are...."90% of our children are set to be overweight by 2050!"
Go ahead and dismiss this book at your leisure if you want to stay locked into the 'System!'
Open your heart and mind, entertain a new perspective and be more discerning about swallowing (no pun intended) what the mainstream Government, Media and the Giant Food corporations etc would lead you to believe.
This introduction is an excellent first step to taking control back of you and your families health.
Please don't think because the author has given you this free that it holds no value...the information is powerful and beautifully expressed from a woman passionate about helping educate and inform, beating a path through the lies and deceit.
I was was shocked to see/read some of the lower rated reviews. Of course they are entitled to their opinions but I guess some are just not ready yet! This book is easy to understand and brings lots of information together for those who want to break free from the bad 'health' advice that is being given and driven by big business and profit.
Please don't hesitate....HIGHLY RECOMMENDED *****

5.0 out of 5 stars 180 turn around of view point on food and health, 30 Sept. 2013
I've been aware of my weight and fitness levels getting worse with age and have tried and failed at keeping the weight off. I am one of those people that like to complain about my weight and make a half arsed attempt at fixing the problem. This book has enlightened and encouraged me to take a different approach. Zoe has a clever market strategy first this book tells you all of the things that are wrong with the western diet and demonstrably backs it up with studies and facts, gives you this information free of charge and politely says if you'd like to find out more check out my other books. It intrigued me enough to do exactly that, I've bought the book and I'm doing the diet. I'd like to point out this is not the book that gives you the diet strategy it's the book that says, calories counting doesn't work and here's why, low fat diets don't work and here's why, high fibre diets don't work and here's why, statins are bad for you and here's why etc,etc,etc. I loved the frank and detailed analysis of the current trends in weight related health issues and would recommend as a first read to any one that needs to lose a few pounds or is interested in gut health in any way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really interesting, 20 Jan. 2014
Aletheuon (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I fund this short book a really interesting read. Speaking as a lifetime dieter and slimming group rejoiner, I already suspected the truth of some of this, so it was good to find that my instinctive doubts are backed up by good science. I like the conciseness of the book, too, making its information easy to absorb and remember. There seems to be an increasing body of opinion that conventional dieting is not the real answer to obesity and the modern plagues of diabetes and heart disease. As commonsense indicates, the answer is a lifestyle of eating nutrient rich foods and avoiding junk food.
I did have a suspicion occasionally that the author might be overstating her case, though I have no evidence at all to back this up. I'd love to see a well-written response to this book, written by someone who knows what he or she is talking about, in order to be able to assess its arguments better. As the saying goes, 'A little learning is a dangerous thing' and, while I enjoy learning nutritional facts, I know that the information buzzing around in my head can simply makes me more confused. No substitute for discipline, I suppose!

5.0 out of 5 stars 20diet myths-busted. By zoe harcombe, 25 Feb. 2014
This altered my way of thinking about the food I eat. Natural is better. It enlightened me on the propaganda spread by the food industry and others, and I would recommend everyone to read this if they want the truth about what their body really needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and well-written essays by Zoe Harcombe on her theory ..., 27 April 2015
Interesting and well-written essays by Zoe Harcombe on her theory of why diets don't work and an overview of her plan of healthy eating and breaking the cycle of food cravings/addictions. We are all different and I feel our bodies react differently to different "diets". What is right for one person might not be right for another. However, I feel she has valid points and for me her theory and plan work. I downloaded this for Kindle and after reading it ordered two of her books in paperback; Stop Counting Calories and The Recipe Book. It's totally changed how I look at food. I feel healthier for it - which was really my main plan. And yes, I did lose weight and it stayed off. Thank you Zoe.