on 3 January 2014
A great book full of well known recipes, most of which I will eventually try. A bargain for £5. Unfortunately, the contents page is useless with just six section pages (e.g 'show-off food', birthday treats' etc). Decided I wouldnt use the book much if I had to browse through every page to find inspiration or to find a recipe a second time so spent ages creating a proper contents page. Hopefully, some others will find it useful:-

Beer Battered Fish 10
Treacle Tart 214
Chicken And Vegetable Stir Fry 217
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2010
I started watching this series on the TV last week and frantically searched the web for the recipes featured - but to no avail. As soon as I saw this book for pre-sale I ordered it immediately and eagerly awaited its arrival.

The book has recently been received and I am very impressed with its content; easy to follow recipes which are not full of strange ingredients you wouldn't find in an "ordinary" kitchen and best of all meals which can remind you of your childhood and are a pleasure to both cook and eat.

Not only that but other foods which different cultures eat and are a great addition to meals which you ordinarily cook. The pictures alone have me salivating and quoting Si "oooohh look at that, man".

I have bought a couple of previous books by The Hariy Bikers and I have not bothered making many of the recipes, however, this is not the case with this book, I know I will return to this time and time again for hearty, family friendly, delicious meals.

Edit made 25/01/10
Urgent note to anyone purchasing this book, once you start dishing out biscuits to friends and family, you will find that you are inundated with requests for more - this has proved to be costly but I am now a family favourite! Beware!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 9 January 2015
I really enjoy the programs that I have seen with The Hairy Bikers (aka Si King and Dave Myers). I find their down-to-earth approach refreshing and ‘real’, and they present food that is familiar, yet innovative and exciting – new views on old favourites, with the ability for any cook in any kitchen to be able to recreate these wonderful dishes.

The Hairy Bikers have produced two books with ‘Mum’s’ recipes – Mums Know Best, and Mums Still Know Best. These are great books with recipes that you will remember and recall, and new ones to add to your cooking repertoire.

In this book there are six main sections:
Family Favourites – includes how to make the best fish and chips ever, Cheese Pie (which is divine), Beany Mince, Samosas (with variations), Lemon Drizzle Cake, Coffee Kisses and many more.
Show-off Food – includes foolproof Mayonnaise, Kringel (which I have made the savoury version of, and which is divine), Coronation Chicken (a modern version of the old favourite), Apple Compote (to go with pork) and many more.
Good Simple Suppers – includes Meat & Potato Pie, Fishcakes, Curries, Soups and many more.
Birthday Treats – includes a delicious Summer Berry Trifle, Cottage Pie with Cheesy Mash, Chocolate Mousse Trio, Welsh Griddle Cakes (which are utterly divine) and many more.
Sunday Dinners – includes Yorkshire Pudding, Toad in the Hole, Roast Beef, Roast Potatoes, Lemon Meringue Pie, Bread and Butter Pudding, Steak & Ale Pie and many more.
Picnics – includes Scotch Eggs, Courgette Fritters, Victoria Sandwich and many more.

This is a great book (as is the other one in this series by The Hairy Bikers). There are great recipes to discover and try, all laid out clearly, all with photos and clear directions and instructions. You can’t go wrong.
on 5 March 2010
After watching the series on tv just had to buy this book. I have tried quite a few of the recipes and every one was a winner. The recipe for shortcrust pastry is well worth a try. It's really lovely
on 8 March 2010
The book was purchased after watching the series on TV, and it has not disappointed, in fact it has exceeded expectations.
The recipes are all good honest food, that are just as the title suggests "Mums Know Best" we have tried 3 already, which is unknown with all the previous cookbooks that my wife has accumulated over the years.
We would recommend this cookbook to anyone, absolutely FIRST CLASS
Try the Cottage Pie !
on 9 March 2010
I recently bought the hairy bikers mums know best cook book after watching the tv series and I have to say I am very impressed with the content. My boyfriend and I made vegetable pakoras on Saturday with the Ghurka Muttton curry and it was delicious I also made the berovian love sponge cake in the book too I did see somebody comment about how they forgot to put measurements in the cook book for this recipie but you justw eigh your eggs and however much your eggs weigh you weigh the same amount for butter sugar and flour so very simple recipie all in all a great book and hope they make another mums know best series
on 21 January 2010
If you saw the series and know you want the recipes, this is a well put together book with excellent photographs, clear decent size print, and a robust binding suitable for the kitchen. If you are not familiar with the series, be aware that one man's "comfort food", which is what many of these recipes are, is another man's stodge. Since many of the recipes were collected from mothers and grandmothers, the repertoire of traditional English food presented here is full of things that will stick to your ribs, and probably your hips, such as Sausage Plait and Treacle Tart.

However, a substantial portion of the recipes are not traditional English, but South Asian ("Indian"), US, Estonian, Portuguese and so on. These are likely to be the ones of most interest to experienced UK cooks, and I'm looking forward to trying some of them out. Sadly there are no Polish recipes: I do enjoy Polish food.

Most of the recipes are for quantities to feed six or eight.
on 5 March 2010
I love this book! Loved the series, then bought the book, and I remain very impressed with the content.

So far I've made the Empire biscuits, the mince and onion plate pie and the lemon meringue pie. All were fabulous, easy to follow recipes - although I would suggest a little more cornflour in the filling of the lemon meringue pie as mine didn't set quite as well as I'd hoped...still tasted gorgeous though!

I've got plans to make loads more - in particular the spicier food; samosas, curries and the like.

In my opinion, definitely one to have on your shelf!
on 20 March 2014
I got this book after watching the TV show and I am not disappointed although some of the recipes are a tad exotic even for me! I bought some crumpet rings just to make the crumpets, so that will be the weekends breakfast! I do love the variation of recipes in here, and I am very glad to have got the book at such a reasonable price. The delivery came swiftly and was well packaged.
on 2 February 2010
A friend and I both tried the Sticky date Cake recipe. Having spent on ingredients we were both disappointed to realize there is a miss print on this page. Our cakes were burnt through as the book gives a cooking time of 2 and a half hours. Checking on the web site showed it only needed 1 and 3 quarter hours. An expensive mistake. I only hope the rest of the book is more carefully proof read.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse