4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes but lacking a decent contents page
Published 11 months ago by D. Wells

3.0 out of 5 stars Check before you bake
Published on 2 Feb 2010 by Joe Stanley

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes but lacking a decent contents page, 3 Jan 2014
A great book full of well known recipes, most of which I will eventually try. A bargain for £5. Unfortunately, the contents page is useless with just six section pages (e.g 'show-off food', birthday treats' etc). Decided I wouldnt use the book much if I had to browse through every page to find inspiration or to find a recipe a second time so spent ages creating a proper contents page. Hopefully, some others will find it useful:-

Beer Battered Fish 10
Blackberry And Apple Pie 213
Treacle Tart 214
Chicken And Vegetable Stir Fry 217

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, mum does know best, 14 Jan 2010
I started watching this series on the TV last week and frantically searched the web for the recipes featured - but to no avail. As soon as I saw this book for pre-sale I ordered it immediately and eagerly awaited its arrival.

The book has recently been received and I am very impressed with its content; easy to follow recipes which are not full of strange ingredients you wouldn't find in an "ordinary" kitchen and best of all meals which can remind you of your childhood and are a pleasure to both cook and eat.

Not only that but other foods which different cultures eat and are a great addition to meals which you ordinarily cook. The pictures alone have me salivating and quoting Si "oooohh look at that, man".

I have bought a couple of previous books by The Hariy Bikers and I have not bothered making many of the recipes, however, this is not the case with this book, I know I will return to this time and time again for hearty, family friendly, delicious meals.

Edit made 25/01/10
Urgent note to anyone purchasing this book, once you start dishing out biscuits to friends and family, you will find that you are inundated with requests for more - this has proved to be costly but I am now a family favourite! Beware!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Food for All, 8 Mar 2010
The book was purchased after watching the series on TV, and it has not disappointed, in fact it has exceeded expectations.
The recipes are all good honest food, that are just as the title suggests "Mums Know Best" we have tried 3 already, which is unknown with all the previous cookbooks that my wife has accumulated over the years.
We would recommend this cookbook to anyone, absolutely FIRST CLASS
Try the Cottage Pie !

4.0 out of 5 stars HAIRY BIKERS BEST BOOK YET, 5 Mar 2010
After watching the series on tv just had to buy this book. I have tried quite a few of the recipes and every one was a winner. The recipe for shortcrust pastry is well worth a try. It's really lovely

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Hairy Biker book yet!, 15 Jan 2010
For me this is easily the best Hairies book yet. Full of family recipes, both from Britain and further afield. A great tie in book for a fabulous TV series.

The recipes are very do-able, and great for family cooking, although it'd be a shame not to share them with friends too!

A facinating sort of history of home cooking, from Mums in this country for Mums (go on then, Dads too) everywhere. I find is really interesting to see recipes and food that other people have as their traditional family food, and the recipes that carry on down through the generations.

Both Dave and Si have very good palates, both for the simple and the complex, this coupled with their inimitable style makes this one a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Fab Cook Book, 9 Mar 2010
J. Wood "Joanne" (Redcar, Cleveland U.K) - See all my reviews
I recently bought the hairy bikers mums know best cook book after watching the tv series and I have to say I am very impressed with the content. My boyfriend and I made vegetable pakoras on Saturday with the Ghurka Muttton curry and it was delicious I also made the berovian love sponge cake in the book too I did see somebody comment about how they forgot to put measurements in the cook book for this recipie but you justw eigh your eggs and however much your eggs weigh you weigh the same amount for butter sugar and flour so very simple recipie all in all a great book and hope they make another mums know best series

4.0 out of 5 stars Blast from the past, 21 Jan 2010
William Avery - See all my reviews
If you saw the series and know you want the recipes, this is a well put together book with excellent photographs, clear decent size print, and a robust binding suitable for the kitchen. If you are not familiar with the series, be aware that one man's "comfort food", which is what many of these recipes are, is another man's stodge. Since many of the recipes were collected from mothers and grandmothers, the repertoire of traditional English food presented here is full of things that will stick to your ribs, and probably your hips, such as Sausage Plait and Treacle Tart.

However, a substantial portion of the recipes are not traditional English, but South Asian ("Indian"), US, Estonian, Portuguese and so on. These are likely to be the ones of most interest to experienced UK cooks, and I'm looking forward to trying some of them out. Sadly there are no Polish recipes: I do enjoy Polish food.

Most of the recipes are for quantities to feed six or eight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 5 Mar 2010
D. M. Nicholson (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I love this book! Loved the series, then bought the book, and I remain very impressed with the content.

So far I've made the Empire biscuits, the mince and onion plate pie and the lemon meringue pie. All were fabulous, easy to follow recipes - although I would suggest a little more cornflour in the filling of the lemon meringue pie as mine didn't set quite as well as I'd hoped...still tasted gorgeous though!

I've got plans to make loads more - in particular the spicier food; samosas, curries and the like.

In my opinion, definitely one to have on your shelf!

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to basics cookery with fun, 17 Jan 2010
M. Kirkland "Mo" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
As one of the 'VIP mums' featured in the first programme (cheese pie,rumpy pumpy soup and chilli) I bought the book for my 3 children,partly as a reminder of a two great days with the boys but also that they would see my family recipes written down for the first time! I am delighted with the book,easy recipes,easy to follow. I hope it inspires many people to 'go back to basics'and put the 'F' back into cooking....FUN!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Check before you bake, 2 Feb 2010
A friend and I both tried the Sticky date Cake recipe. Having spent on ingredients we were both disappointed to realize there is a miss print on this page. Our cakes were burnt through as the book gives a cooking time of 2 and a half hours. Checking on the web site showed it only needed 1 and 3 quarter hours. An expensive mistake. I only hope the rest of the book is more carefully proof read.