5.0 out of 5 stars Take this on holiday and prepare to be gripped and moved
Published on 26 July 2011 by Kate Aynek

3.0 out of 5 stars thrilling romance
A Private Affair follows the lives of Sam, Dani, Abbi and Meaghan. All very different women with very different upbringings and backgrounds. All from different places all over the world. But one thing connects them - a man.

Published on 26 Aug. 2011 by Pamela Roach

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Take this on holiday and prepare to be gripped and moved, 26 July 2011
This review is from: A Private Affair (Hardcover)
I cannot recommend Lesley Lokko's novels enough if you love exotic locations and immersing yourself in the lives of beautiful, glamorous but damaged people. She gives you the glamour and pace of a blockbuster, with intelligence and compassion. Her latest, A PRIVATE AFFAIR, is set in Notting Hill, the Australian outback, war-torn Sierra Leone, a small town in Germany, and Belize in Central America and follows four very different women who are all connected, through love, with the British army. Their stories are heartbreaking, shocking and moving. Each heroine has a flaw in their personality, or a secret in their past, which you realise will seal their fate in some way. Lesley weaves their stories together with great skill, building towards a dramatic ending which is completely unforgettable. If you like Penny Vincenzi or Tasmina Perry, and you haven't discovered Lesley Lokko yet, lucky you! You've got six terrific novels to read. Start right away with A PRIVATE AFFAIR...

3.0 out of 5 stars thrilling romance, 26 Aug. 2011
This review is from: A Private Affair (Hardcover)

The novel shows a unique insight into what it is to be an Army Wife, to have a husband absent for long stretches of time and the desperate acts of lonely people.

A Private Affair is split between being told by all the women over different time periods of their lives. It shows how they came to be and the road they took to get there.

I thought the novel was harsh and brutal, but in a very good way. There were no rose coloured glasses when showing the true nature of some soldiers or how they treat their wives. It felt very real, and the characters of the woman simply brought the book to life.

A sense of trepidation crept over me while I was reading, that far off sense of fear that cannot be places.

Though a hefty book to get through, it was worth every word. A very thought provoking read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Can't-Put-It-Down Read!, 31 Dec. 2011
D. C. A. Price "chrissie22" (Wharfedale) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Private Affair (Hardcover)
I was extremely surprised with some of the negative reviews this book has received as I thought it was wonderful. I've loved the last two books from this author, because of the locations and the fact that she knows what she's writing about and gives us a real insight into the lives of disadvantaged people in different parts of the world, and also the exotic lifestyles of others. This was a very thoughtful book, and not with the ending expected - definitely the opportunity for a sequel if Lesley Lokko feels inspired to write one - I really wanted Sam to find some happiness. I know nothing of army life, and it was an eye-opener into the lives of service personnel, especially for the wives (interesting after just watching a series on TV about the choir of service wives brought together by Gareth Malone, and learning of some of their feelings of loneliness and isolation). I found this book very hard to put down, and was glad I read it over a couple of days during the Christmas holidays when I was lucky enough to have more free time than usual and just indulge myself with a good book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A private Affair, 6 Oct. 2011
David H J Ashdown (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Private Affair (Hardcover)
Up to Her usual standard , gripping plot with plenty of exciting ,if a little predictable , twists and turns. The main characters ,Sam, Meaghan, Dani and Abby were well developed. Nick Beasdales' character I thought was convincing and , to my mind , typical of the bigoted sort of Officer who is occasionally to be found in the forces. He was well portrayed as the sort of twisted, sexist and racist character that the Army would be well advised to screen out of their ranks. The plot was also clever in its portayal of the reason why Nick was like he was , being brought up by a pair of losers who thought they were better than their peers and were proved to be the opposite,it demonstrated that the formative years in a childs development are
of immense importance to their future. An excellent book on all counts

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Ending, 26 Mar. 2012
This review is from: A Private Affair (Paperback)
It was like she wrote 3 different novels and weakly put them together with a substandard plot, very poor ending.

1.0 out of 5 stars Weak and Feeble, 1 Feb. 2012
Attila the Hen (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Private Affair (Hardcover)
Having read the 4 and 5 star reviews of this book and then the book itself, I wonder if I have read the same book! I've read all Lesley Lokko's books and have enjoyed them for what they are - light fiction/holiday read.
This book was, in my opinion really poor. The plot did not hang together at all to the extent that (and this is a real no-no for me)by the end of the book, I just wanted it to end and did not really care what happened to the characters. Also, the ending itself was unsatisfactory and weak. I had downloaded the book onto my Kindle, which was even more annoying as the price was higher than a paperback (Amazon do something about this, please!) and I almost wondered whether I had received the entire book. I only hope that the author's next book is an improvement. I agree with another reviewer that the aspects of army life dealt with in the book were weak and appeared to have been written without real understanding or research.

4.0 out of 5 stars THOUGHT PROVOKING FICTION, 14 Oct. 2011
Mrs. C. Swarfield - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Private Affair (Hardcover)
A riveting read. I found this one imposible to put down and when l had to - as it is a hefty book to get through l was thinking about the
plot and l have to say it is spellbinding. The story centres on army life and it does paint a bleak picture - even for officers wives, so
you dread to think what it must be like for ordinary soldiers families.

As always the attention to detail is spot on and the descriptions of Sierra Leone and Celle in Germany make you feel you are there so vividly
are they portrayed. l absolutely love this book and as some of the events described actually happened it brings it all to life. Sam, Dani, Abby,
and Meagan are all linked throughout and although the ending has a twist ultimately you have the feeling that for the girls at least it is
all going to pan out for them - a real page turner and one of the best books l have read in ages.

3.0 out of 5 stars not her best by any means!, 13 Nov. 2011
This review is from: A Private Affair (Hardcover)
Ever since I read her novel Saffron Skies, I have loved Lesley Lokko's books. They always seemed to have more depth than the usual Chick Lit genre and I seemed to really get into them. However I was more than disappointed with this book. I felt that the characters had very little depth in comparison to her other books, I don't whether this is because there were four main characters. I reached page 243, over halfway, and gave up because there was nothing enticing me to read more. Maybe I should have soldiered on to the end but I just found the book bland! I feel the author tried to touch on some very difficult issues but found that each issue was skimmed over quickly with no real depth to it at all!
Maybe in the future I will try this book again, I really hope her next book is better!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 14 Sept. 2011
This review is from: A Private Affair (Hardcover)
I considered this to be a very weak book - certainly not up to the standard of her previous novels. It was almost as if the author had visited an army base attended a coffee morning, had a chat with a few of the wives and then loosely thought up a simplistic but miserable plot. The storey line was without any real depth, using the army and their way of life as padding. The central characters were boring with mundane and unassuming pasts to which whole chapters were dedicated. The ending was completely predictable within the first few chapters. As the granddaughter, daughter and wife of retired serving soldiers I felt the references to the military way of life feeble & fanciful. Wouldn't waste money on this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable book, 3 Aug. 2012
This review is from: A Private Affair (Paperback)
I haven't read a Lesley Lloko book before so had nothing to compare it to - and was almost put off by some of the ratings. However, I was pleasantly surprised. I don't normally like fluffy books but I enjoyed reading about the four main characters - especially as they were based in different parts of the world - and I enjoyed the stories. I agree that the ending was very obvious but I'm not sure it was meant to be a mystery.

I will now seek out a few more books by this author.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›