4.0 out of 5 stars Life Choices
Enjoyed this as a follow up to reading, "The China Study". It has given me another push towards healthy eating and changing my life style.
The receipts are a little slanted towards American products and I would like to see more of a European flavor. I very much like the fresh ingredients aspect and avoidance of processed foods.
Since buying this book I have...
Published 22 months ago by Jane March

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much use outside America
This book is an interesting read, but not very much use for those outside America, I'm in the UK and trying to decipher some of the ingredients and then coming across brand names that I have no chance of finding are not particularly helpful. The overall idea is good, but I've only tried one recipe so far and it was bland to say the least.
Published on 10 Jun 2012 by Countess_Dracul

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Great you are looking for a recipe book, 13 Feb 2012
F. Hollis (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forks Over Knives (Paperback)
As I was writing a feature on nutrition and had already ordered the China Stufy, I did some research on Facebook as to whether people preferred the DVD or the book. The DVD got lots of great feedback - but I decided to go with the book as I wanted to be able to cite references.

I was slightly disappointed with the book as 140p are dedicated to recipes - and just 60p to Colin Campbell and Caldwell Esselstyn's writing.

Great you are looking for a recipe book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to plant-based diets, 25 Oct 2013
Sam Woodward (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health (Kindle Edition)
This book is a great accompaniment to the DVD, which expands on the subject & doesn't waste too many pages in retreading the same ground. The sense I got from the documentary was that adopting a plant-based diet is important for optimizing health. The sense I got from this book is that adopting a plant-based diet is essential for sustaining the environment & preventing systemic cruelty towards animals. When I watched the DVD, I decided to become vegan for fairly selfish reasons but having read this book, I wanted to become one to benefit others too. And I'm certainly no hippie but it has made me rethink other ways in which we unknowingly harm our ecosystem.

Considering that Forks Over Knives - The Cookbook is available separately, I wasn't expecting so much of this book to be given over to recipes. At the time of writing, Amazon's sample above shows the contents page but doesn't quote any page numbers. My Kindle says that 29% of this book is given over to general info & the rest is given over to recipes, which are devoid of photographs. I haven't attempted to cook any because they contain American measurements & staples. Experienced cooks will be able to work around these but I'm more inclined to seek out a dedicated British recipe book & adapt the non-vegan recipes which I previously used. Nevertheless, I still found lots of helpful information in the 29% which was of interest to me. Moreover, it was highly motivating & worth reading for that alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 28 July 2012
This review is from: Forks Over Knives (Paperback)
Just what I needed at time of purchase. Pretty useful and will recommend to anyone, esp Vegans.
Great recipes and very easy and quick to prepare.

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing compared to film, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Forks Over Knives (Paperback)
While i loved the film and cant praise it the film enough, i would not give this book to a meat eater as first choice. I get the arguments it wields and i agree. But on the whole sadly, i found it to be so busy ramming home the ethics, it forgot to concentrate on the very thing that could convince meat eaters to change - the benefits to help. Parts i enjoyed. And i guess if youve never read about farming conditions before it could be an eyeopener.

4.0 out of 5 stars We owe it to our body, 22 Jan 2012
This review is from: Forks Over Knives (Paperback)
I wish i was disciplined enough to follow the principles of this book - if i could then my body would definately become my temple!

4.0 out of 5 stars Potential life saver with qualifications, 7 July 2011
Tony J. Carey (Wicklow, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forks Over Knives (Paperback)
For most people this book sets out a very strong health case for shifting to a diet that is based largely on plant foods with the minimum of pre-processing before purchase.

However, having read the source books by Esselstyn and the Campbells, three qualifications are appropriate. These are:
* That meat & fish are badly over-demonised in the section "Food Facts" (pp 45-48) in a way that is quite unnecessarily alarmist, inaccurate and unbalanced. For example there is no current evidence that meat eating in Europe or the USA carries any meaningful risk of the 'mad cow' disease vCJD. Also there is no balancing reference in the section on the plant 'platter' of the parallel risks of contamination by bacteria or pesticide residues. The recent deadly outbreak of E Coli infections in Europe was traced to beansprouts.
* That the section on the Esselstyn diet should have mentioned that, for his coronary patients, he included statins unless they were able to achieve very low LDL levels just on diet alone.
* That, in relation to Omega 3's, the evidence suggests that most people, unless they are on the most total Esselstyn diet, can probably benefit from a supplement of omega 3's - particularly if they are depressed or have some psychological or emotional stress in their lives. So the section headed "Don't worry about Omega-3 fatty acids" is very inappropriate and unhelpful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lack of Substance, 22 Feb 2013
This review is from: Forks Over Knives (Paperback)
The book seems to consist of a series of reprinted articles and a few recipes. The arguments for the diet are not cohesive and in some cases lack logic.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Tough Life Change, 20 Nov 2013
Mrs. G. E. Deen "Gina" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forks Over Knives (Paperback)
I ordered this book after an on line friend recommended it. Basically you have to eat a plant based diet - become practically vegan. It's a tough change for a lot of people and as my husband does all the cooking, he thought it would make life too difficult for him. I am trying some of the suggestions. Small steps as they say. It's very american too. We need a UK version! Lots of the ingredients in it I have never heard of. You also have to watch the film really, which you have to pay for. The cynic in me says it could be just another way to make money out of people feeling inadequate and overweight.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›