5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't expect that..., 2 Aug 2011
Cuban Heel "Neil Schiller" (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Psycho Jukebox (Audio CD)
I had a bit of a soft spot for The Fratellis. They weren't the best band in the world but I thought they were quirky and original and they produced some catchy tunes. Their albums, though, I found to be a bit of a mixed bag. It seemed as though they were full of ideas, just not all of them worked as well as they should have.

I thought this solo record might be the same, but I was completely wrong. On 'Psycho Jukebox' Jon Fratelli retains some of the quirkiness and originality of his band recordings, but overall the sound is a bit more mature. And it is massively more consistent than anything he's done before. There are eleven tracks on here and every single one of them is decent. Quite a few of them are exceptional. The benchmark is a lot higher than it was on, say, 'Costello Music'.

There are some evident 70s influences here and there - Bowie, T-Rex, even Thin Lizzy. But they're all filtered through Fratelli's ear for a great tune. This isn't intended to put anyone off, but in places it sounds a little bit like The Stereophonics even - but The Stereophonics on a very very good day. My favourites are Santo Domingo which has a great, original singalong quality to it, and Magic & Mayhem with its superb chorus.

As a statement of intent for what Jon Fratelli wants his solo career to be, this album is just about perfect. If he keeps it up he could end up becoming a bit of a British rock institution. Brilliant stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rhythm does make this a great album!, 30 July 2011
This review is from: Psycho Jukebox (Audio CD)
Being a fan of the Fratelli's (and the Codeine velvet club album) i wondered if Jon Fratelli's first solo effort would be the same as said band or a wild self indulgent departure from the music that made you like him in the first place. (A mistake that some band members who turn solo can easily make!)
Well i have to say that after listening to the first track i thought it would be the former,the chorus even sounds the same as Cigarello!(No bad thing but well....) BUT the tracks that followed were Jon Fratteli really coming into his own and certainly aren't a wild self indulgent departure,far from it,just really well crafted and executed songs by a much underrated songwriter,lyricist and singer.
Standout tracks?..........Pretty much all of them!
Nae bovver!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Brilliant Album, 18 Dec 2011
This review is from: Psycho Jukebox (Audio CD)
I love Jon Fratelli's Albums and this is another great one!.. Jon is the Lennon / McCartney of 2000! He writes great catchy songs that you can listen to, time and time again!
Don't hesitate, buy it! You will Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The genius is back, 14 Sep 2011
I've waited a long time for the return of this musical genius. Every song is pure class. It was worth the wait.Psycho Jukebox

4.0 out of 5 stars fratellis raw, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Psycho Jukebox (Audio CD)
This is a great album of raw Fratelli songs. His songwriting is great and the production less refined than his work with the band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would I like Jon Fratelli without The Fratellis?, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Psycho Jukebox (Audio CD)
YES! If you like The Fratellis, you should add this to your CD collection. No hesitation. Just do it. Now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strength in depth, 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: Psycho Jukebox (Audio CD)
I bought this album just on the strength of the previous Fratelli's albums. I have to say that this is quality. I am amazed that it didn't get hardly any promotion that I could see anyway. Every single song is quality with great lyrics and riffs and has definitely got a 70's flavour. If I had to pick a track as my favourite I would say track number 7 called She's My Shaker which I have been playing in my car to work every day since I bought it. If you thought Chelsea Dagger was catchy then think again.

5.0 out of 5 stars cd, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: Psycho Jukebox (Audio CD)
my favourite cd i dindnt think anything could be as good as the fratellis but this is the only thing better would be for jon to tour now weve seen the fratellis

4.0 out of 5 stars Great. I want more., 6 May 2013
This review is from: Psycho Jukebox (Audio CD)
I saw Codeine Velvet Club when they played London a few years ago. I already loved the Fratellis, this was an exciting and different project of Jon's. I can't stop listening to this album. Jon and Lou Hickey harmonize beautifully, she is really something and of course Jon is a legend. It deserves 5 stars and the only reason I'm giving it 4 is that there are some b sides that should have been on the record too, but aren't. Love this and it's sexy groove.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical Fratelli fare, 9 Jun 2012
K. Morris "karenjmorris2" (Surrey UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Psycho Jukebox (Audio CD)
If you like the Fratellis, then chances are you will like this too. Its very similar, to the point of even being a bit samey. Some reveiwers have described it as a lazy album, but if you like this style and Jon's voice, then you probably can't go far wrong with this album.

Psycho Jukebox