4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent debut album with some oustanding versions of traditional folk songs.
This is a brilliantly recorded debut album with a high-quality content. Laura's voice, particularly in its lower registers, is particularly well suited to the traditional folk genre and her diction is perfect, allowing the words to be heard with clarity. Some of the arrangements, particularly towards the end of certain songs, force her voice into the upper registers for...
Published on 12 Aug 2011 by Christine M. Pluck

2.0 out of 5 stars A weak debut
I absolutely loved Laura in All Angels - she was my favourite vocalist of the group (though they're all fantastic) and whilst I was saddened when I heard she was leaving the group, I was cheered up immensely after learning she had signed a solo record deal. To be fair, if I see an album full of typical well-known and over recorded songs, I know that I'm not expecting...
Published on 31 July 2011 by Nicola Jarvis

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable., 2 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Last Rose (Audio CD)
Delivery was faster than expected and so it arrived before estimated delivery time. Much to my wife's happiness because it could be played in the car as we went on our way. Disc content had been sampled on a well known Classic Record station.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok - but wouldn't go over board, 27 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Last Rose (Audio CD)
She has a lovely voice - some of the songs were known to me. Nice for background music.OK but not outstanding.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Last Rose: Laura Wright, 21 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Last Rose (Audio CD)
After hearing this CD plugged on Classic FM, I decided It sounded as though it could have been a good buy. Regretfully, my Wife and I think that it is over-rated. The songs are dull and monotonous. Agreed they are all old english songs, but feel that they could have been presented better. Certainly Laura has a nice voice, but it is wasted on this album.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 8 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Last Rose (Audio CD)
I think that the singer is vastly over-rated. There is little colour or animation in the way she approaches the songs chosen and I cannot understand why she is featured instead of her colleagues in All Angels (I think that was the name of the quartet with which she made her name.
The CD was not worth the money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 29 July 2011
Simon P. Howes "simmuns" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Rose (Audio CD)
Sounds like a kid being made to perform at a village hall fete! and a repetoire from about 1930. Awful!

The Last Rose