Pentax Q Compact System Camera with 8.5mm Lens Kit - White
Colour Name: White (8.5mm Lens Kit)Change
Price:£395.06+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon 22 November 2011
Colour Name: Black (8.5mm Lens Kit)Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
PENTAX CAMERA

I selected to review this camera because I thought I might like it and that it might be better than the camera I have already. That camera was very much cheaper than this Pentax camera kit retails for.

I am an amateur photographer. I have not been taught photography. I am stronger on the photo composition ie what to point and shoot at and when and on post photo digital production than on using cameras themselves.

I have only had this Pentax for a few days so I am still learning it, but I thought it would be helpful to write and tell you about it now while my first impressions are still memorable than later when I might have got used to the cameras foibles.

First thoughts:
Cons:
No camera case not even a little pouch? No SD card not even 1 gig teeny weeny one to get going with at Christmas? Seems a bit stingy Pentax.
The lens cap I find fiddly to get hold of to take off -it has no grips just smooth plastic - if this had been a bit deeper or rubberized inside the edges I would have felt a lot more confident handling it - as it is it is barely deep or wide enough for my average sized fingers and babysmooth. I think there is a danger of it one day pinging off and either rolling in a gutter or breaking. Maybe a little cord on it would have addressed this, as lens caps used to have these, so if the caps slips it is caught and so it is not put down and lost.
No zoom? I checked the Amazon website and indeed the lens this comes with is without zoom capabilities. You have to pay at time of writing the best part of £300.00 for the zoom lens. Better if you want zoom to buy the camera kit which has both the standard AND the zoom lens then it is better value. If it was something I was going to buy I would have definitely gone for the kit with both the standard and the zoom lens.

Pros:
Lovely looking camera I am so glad I got to have the black one. I don't like the white one as much on screen anyway. It is really classy to look at and looks like a very posh camera. Really compact too.
I like the comfortable camera strap with the bright coloured Pentax on it (would have liked a Pentax case too!)
Really positive click mechanism to insert the lens (note: 8.5mm is the one this comes with, 5-15mm is the zoom version one) so easy to use/insert.
Easy to use in a point and shoot fashion.
Massive menu - not sure how much of a pro this is going to be as this is going to take time to suss out but it seems there is a wealth of opportunities to alter the settings so I think it likely this camera is going to give me more power to alter the settings I use to take photographs than my cheap one is capable of. There are phrases in the menu I have never heard of but I obtained the pdf version of the manual from the Pentax website which is a lot easier to read than the thick booklets tiny writing, plus of course you can do word search on a pdf.
An example of one setting I have found as a result was of interest to me as I like to take photographs of cakes I bake: the Scene mode includes one for Food, which increases the saturation of the image. I tried this and found it did improve on a photograph taken without this setting. It was really easy to go into the scene mode - just turn the dial on the top of the camera to SCN, and a menu pops up and you select the icon of the setting you require. The manual was really helpful in this way.

I am very impressed with this camera bar the main gripe of the lack of zoom. I am certain this camera will turn out to be one I use a lot and that my photos will be improved. I might even buy the zoom lens when it comes down in price a bit as I think this camera might be perfect if it has one.

Video shows comparison of this camera with my former camera which cost about £100.00 (and was not a Pentax). I think the edge definition, range and depth of colours reproduced by the Pentax are superior. Also the way it dealt with the suns glare was impressive; no glare whatsoever from the Pentax, lovely clear greenery throughout compared with my former one which suffered considerably- the left hand side of the photo of the greenery taken by the £100 camera shows the glare suffered by my former camera.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I am an average camera user owning a bog standard, but well loved, Kodak Digital Camera and an iPhone with a goodish camera on it, but I was pleased to receive this Pentax. I have always wanted a "proper" camera but never thought that I would get one.

So, how does this work?

Well, THANKFULLY, it works quite easily on Auto mode, one of its many settings....
It is something called a compact system camera, basically a hybrid between an SLR and a point and shoot camera.

So I think for many people this may be the future for photography.

When it first arrived I was a bit unsure of it as it is a serious piece of kit, expensive and good looking.
After a few days of using it I am now more sure of it and I am looking forward to improving my photo albums.

So Pros and Cons......

PROS
1. Well made and sturdy.
2. Good looking with a retro feel.
3. Small...good for putting in your bag.
4. Auto setting....this makes it easier to use straight off and helps to get a feel for the camera. I have produced some good shots from this.
5. Dial on the front next to the lens allows for different settings for your shot. Vintage colour, water colour etc.....
6. Full HD video.
7. Comes with a strap.
8. Has a battery charger with it.
9.The dial on the top is easy to use too, it allows for different types of shooting and is quick and easy to change to video record.

CONS
1. No bag
2. No SD card, had to buy one.
3. Only one lens, so no zoom.
4. Battery is only for this type of camera, as far as I can tell the battery is a unique one for this Q.
5. Compared to other cameras like this some people may find it too small???

So, overall, so far a great camera BUT I am still learning.

The instructions are good and a lot of photo advice sites exist, which helps. I am also going to get a book from the library to help in my learning.
I think if you buy a piece of kit like this you should expect to have to learn how to use it....but until then I still have Auto settings!!!
on 20 May 2013
Despite its small size, it packs a punch. It delivers good quality photos for a small sensor, part of this is because it dose not pack too many pixels in the a small space and partly because of the lens. Its easy to use and has a lot of manual control options on it. if your looking for a good point and shoot camera with a little extra then this is a good choice.
VINE VOICEon 16 December 2011
Pentax have always had a good name - my father was a professional photographer in the '60s and '70s and he always used Pentax.
This little camera has a big camera feel to it. It's solidly built and well put together. The controls are well thought out and placed, and are easy to use. The lens change button is very handy.
I'm not a technical photographer but people who know these things tell me that this camera has pretty much everything I need. It comes equipped with back illuminated 1/2.3-inch CMOS image sensor, which delivers high-resolution images with approximately 12.4 effective megapixels. It also has a full HD movie recording function employing the H.264 recording format, allowing the user to capture high quality, extended movie clips (1920 x 1080 pixels) at a frame rate of 30 frames per second. The PENTAX Q's high speed burst shooting mode allows the photographer to record up to five images (in JPEG recording format) in a single sequence, at a maximum speed of approximately five images per second. This mode comes in handy when trying to preserve the action of fast-moving subjects in a series of images.
So a good camera. My only minor quibble is the price - All but £600. You want a lot of camera for that money.
on 8 July 2013
Despite other reviews stating how small this is I notice from the stated specification that it is actually over 800 feet long.

See one answered question