Published on 26 July 2011 by L. Hubbard

3.0 out of 5 stars Another near hit from a Marvel OST
The soundtrack is great, masterful orchestral scoring and themes that will remind you of all the best parts of the film. The track listing follows the film in order which is always a must in my opinion (but strangely does not seem to happen all that often...).

Published on 22 Dec 2011 by D. Howard

5.0 out of 5 stars Alan Silvestri is back with a bang: Captain America is a masterclass in good old fashioned orchestral scoring, 26 July 2011
L. Hubbard (Cardiff) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Alan Silvestri certainly knows how to score a Hollywood blockbuster. His powerhouse scores for The Mummy Returns and Beowulf were both brilliant. He seemed out of his comfort zone however for the more recent G.I. Joe - The Rise Of Cobra which featured more of a mix of electronics and orchestra which didn't completely work for me. On Captain America however, Silvestri is back at his best with a brilliant orchestral score.

Of particular note is Silvetri's wonderful trademark style - the writing for the brass sections was fantastic, and managed to achieve a tone to the album which was patriotic, without being cheesy. The orchestral action writing and orchestrations were absolutely stunning, which is good because action is what you get with this album. The pace rarely drops during the entire duration of the CD, and on some score albums, that could be a tiring experience. In CA:TFA however, I found the whole style and sound of the album to be so refreshing that I almost didn't want it to end. There are a couple of absolutely stunning slower tracks towards the back end of the album. "This Is My Choice" contained some exquisite writing for strings and brass. The following track "Passage of Time" is my favourite on the album - slowly building with a beautiful but short oboe melody just before the 50 second mark, and then the triumphant brass kicks in. Absolutely stunning. The album finishes on a rather odd and out of place track "Star Spangled Man", which sounds like some sort of song from a late 1980s cartoon, and yet was composed specifically for the 2011 film. I found it to be utterly ghastly and urge you to have the stop button at the ready when this track begins!

The duration of the album isn't short. Running in at 69 minutes (minus "Star Spangled Man), you do get your money's worth, and I loved every single second of Silvestri's material.

Overall, this is a brilliant soundtrack. The thing I loved about it was the total unreliance on electronics. Sure, I think Hans Zimmer and his associates produce some great orchestral/electronic scores, but CA:TFA just goes to show how effective the orchestra can be on its own and I found it exceptionally refreshing. After a fairly quiet spell for Silvestri in terms of film scores CA:TFA is a welcome return to form and features some great old fashioned orchestral action writing. It has a wonderfully nostalgic, yet by no means dated sound, with the skill and energy of the orchestrations in CA:TFA demonstrating that the older generation of film composers are still at the top of their game. CA:TFA comes highly recommended and could easily become one of my favourite scores of 2011.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Captain America" Soundtrack - 4 Stars, 5 Nov 2014
The comic book movie genre is one of my favorites, and I have enjoyed all the Marvel movie soundtrack to date. But I also enjoy soundtracks that deal with American themes and politics - "The Ides of March" and "John Adams" are two recent favorites of mine.

In his score for Captain America, composer Alan Silvestri creates an atmosphere that completely conveys the American spirit in a way that few other musical efforts ever have. This album has just about everything you'd want for a superhero score - the epic themes, the dramatic action cues, and even some music that showcases the threat of the villain. There are a few dull spots on the soundtrack, but overall this is a very strong album and worth a purchase.

"Star Spangled Man", the song that appears in the film, is included on the soundtrack and is a nice touch - it's a pretty catchy tune.

As we all know, Captain America is the First Avenger... and indeed Mr. Silvestri would go on to score "The Avengers" as well. Yet in many ways, I think this score for "Captain America" is the superior one.

FAVORITE TRACKS:
[16] Triumphant Return
[23] "This is My Choice"
[27] Captain America March

3.0 out of 5 stars Another near hit from a Marvel OST, 22 Dec 2011

My major gripe (and it's the same one I had with Thor OST) is that all of the big themes (The Captain America theme for example) JUST AREN'T LONG ENOUGH! A track that, on the film, lasts for a good 4/5 minutes, on the soundtrack is infinitely slower and plays for a paltry 1.08 (26 seconds of which is a bridge!).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE include these themes as heard in the films, it's such a disappointment to hear this stirring music for a fifth of the time that we here the 'Goodbye' track for (at which point, to be honest, I was concentrating more on the film than the soundtrack while watching).

Pull your socks up OST makers. I'm not saying I disliked the OST, but I am disappointed that the main themes were, once again (as in Thor), cut down to less than 1 quarter of what we hear in the film!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 23 Aug 2013
J. Morton (Hartlepool, England) - See all my reviews
An instantly forgettable CD. I would not have given it any stars, but had to click on something to activate the comment box. Save your money and don't buy this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Silvestri at his near-best, 27 Aug 2011
This review is from: Captain America: The First Avenger (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (MP3 Download)
It's exactly what it says on the tin: Music by Alan Silvestri. Those familiar with his work will know what to expect, and will not be disappointed. One of the most exciting, entertaining and satisfying scores of 2011 so far. It's not quite up there with Silvestri's best (e.g. Back to the Future, Judge Dredd) but it's not far off; and it is vastly better than his recent efforts (e.g. A-Team, GI Joe or even Beowulf).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 6 Nov 2011
This came quickly and in great condition. I loved the music on it, as anyone would, it's Alan Silvestri afterall.