5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for any Ebayer
I'd read a few Ebay self help books before trying Robert's and only wish I'd read his first!

Published on 14 Jun 2007 by GG

2.0 out of 5 stars Only worthwhile for absolute novices...
OK, I realise that I'm sticking my neck out by disagreeing with most of the reviews here, but I was disappointed with this book.

That said, if you are a complete beginner to ebay and only intend to make a small amount of money from it, then it's probably for you - it covers all the basics in detail.

My main disappointment though is that it all seems...
Published on 20 May 2008 by mark

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for any Ebayer, 14 Jun 2007

As a seller, this has book has become totally invaluable. It is written in a very friendly manner, is easy to understand and is a total minefield of information. I now have scraps of paper marking many many pages of "projects" I want to have a go at, and his instructions are so easy to follow.

It is written in a style that makes it appear as though a friend is guiding you through the pages, and is neither too easy or too hard to follow. And it covers absolutely everything you could possible want or need to know, from creating your listing to the taxation implications.

He's also passed on a lot of tips which have really improved my sales and relationship with my customers.

He also has a free weekly email newsletter (advertised on the front cover) which is fantastic for keeping you up to date on Ebay news.

If you are thinking about purchasing a book on Ebay - don't look any further as they don't come better than this!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent easy to read ebay bible!!, 16 Aug 2007
Well... my dad originally bought this book to try and get himself buying and selling on eBay. Needless to say he didn't get very far reading it because it somehow ended up in my possession because i just couldn't put it down. Now im not very computer literate but this book make it so easy to begin selling and buying on ebay. It is written in a very easy to read style and is also written so you can just dip in and out of it when you need something. Its an excellent book and i would highly recommed it to anybody wishing to buy or sell, or start a business on ebay.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only worthwhile for absolute novices..., 20 May 2008

My main disappointment though is that it all seems rather obvious - anyone who has sold 2 or 3 items will know 90% of what is in this book.

A final point - do not buy this book if you intend to make a living, or a significant income, from ebay. Even in the introduction, where the author should be grabbing the reader's attention, he points out that a busy day nets him about £100 - before tax. Hardly a fortune. The fact that he considers this a good day, and moots taking the next day off because of it, does not speak of a man with ambition.

If you want some basic advice on selling low-value items and are new to ebay, then this book probably gives good advice. If your sights are set higher, don't bother.

5.0 out of 5 stars The eBay Business Handbook, 2 Feb 2011
eBay is a phenomenon. The popular auction website where you could once get rid of your less-wanted property, has developed into its own mini-economy that allows many normal people to make a healthy living from it. The idea of connecting people and products via the web has been a template for many, but on eBay there are many who would like to get involved but don't know how.

In his book "The eBay Business Handbook", Robert Pugh has mapped out the stages that a newcomer has to go through to set up an account on eBay, how to manage payments using partners such as Paypal and WorldPay, and how to spot bargains that might mean the difference between making a marginal profit or a big fat juicy one.

The book is set out in a logical way to take the inexperienced through the process of setting up a personal trading account, how to write a decent listing, and what to do if you are defrauded as part of your eBay activities. There are sections concerning business matters - how to develop an online eBay presence and what to tell the taxman about all of the lovely profit that you're making.

Overall this book is a very useful addition to those who are considering an eBay trading business. Its span allows many relevant topics to be understood, and this makes it accessible to those who have got no experience and `want to have a go'. If I was advising someone on the best steps to set up an eBay business, this book has to be at the top of the list to give that information. It's an invaluable pack of information that could mean the difference between doing alright and doing great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential book for any ebay seller, 19 July 2007
Mr. L. Beales "Lez" (Mitcham Surrey) - See all my reviews
This book is an excellent read for anyone interested in selling on ebay. It does not matter wether your an ebay virgin or an old hand.
Very easy to dip in and out of it. I found it hard to put down. A must buy for anyone who is thinking about selling on ebay. GREAT BOOK by an excellent author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite must have!, 19 Aug 2007
notimetoulouse "Safe never starts - Perfect ... (Sheffield UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I'm computer literate, but have always shied away from eBay thinking it 'geeky'and time consuming - but with a friend now averaging £2000 a month selling there, I've revised my opinion. I needed to learn as much as I could as quickly as possible and spent time on Amazon looking at many different books on the subject. Most are American, and although that is no bad thing, they are a written for a different audience. I will be working on eBay UK and needed something specific to here.
Having read the reviews below, I decided to buy Bob's book and have no complaints whatsoever. Few authors can pull you in quickly and talk to you as a friend, but Bob has the knack, (and the knowledge) to help you get started very quickly. He offers every buyer of his book unlimited email access to him for advice, and his newsletters are invaluable.
If you're new to eBay,this is all you need to hit the ground running.
Drop it in your shopping cart - you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 6 Jun 2006
This books is one of the best starting points you need to start making money on ebay. I work in a bookshop myself and got bored one day and came accross this book. I starting reading it and now I have a good knowledge on how to sell things on ebay. It is written by an experienced gentleman who is very willing to help others in their ebay business!! Brill read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is brilliant - you will not be disappointed!, 5 Sep 2006
I was not new to eBay when I read this book, but wanted to build a business and work from home. After reading Robert Pugh's personal diary, I was convinced that this was achievable. Having taken his advice on where to locate stock, the benefits of using HTML codes and how to use several photographs at no additional cost, I now sell on eBay for a living. This book is a must for anyone wanting to start their own business, whether they are new to eBay or are an established user. It is full of hints, tips and recommendations, is written in plain English and you really will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help & ideas for any seller, 12 July 2007
This is a great little book full of ideas to optimise your ebay selling - from the glaringly obvious (but you hadnt thought of) to teh downright sneaky or secret. Invaluable for anyone who might want to , or who already has started, sell on ebay.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ebay Business Handbook? - Not a chance!, 5 Jun 2009
E. S. Tait (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
I felt compelled to write a review having purchased this book, because I believe it is yet another book written by a so called ebay business "expert" that fails to deliver what it states in the title.

The simplistic content mostly covers how to buy and sell single items on ebay. The details of which can be found for free on ebay itself. This content is OK in terms of understanding how to trade on ebay but the remainder of the content does not provide the reader with any confidence that the "expert" is actually running a highly profitable business.

The ideas within are not focused towards operating a viable high growth business, therefore, it is misleading to suggest that the reader can make "serious money" on ebay using the content within the book.

In my opinion, the book does not give the reader anything new or novel; therefore, I am surprised that others rate this book so highly! I can only assume that other reviewers are looking to buy and sell odd bits of junk from car boot sales, rather than being serious about running a "proper" business, i.e one which may one day replace the 9-5 day job.