Format: Audio Download|Change

on 15 March 2012
A Silver Lining is the third in a series of eight books set in Pontypridd between 1930 and 1950. All the books can be enjoyed on their own - but it is nice to read them chronologically to follow the fortunes of the Powell family and their friends over the years.
There is a good mixture of characters featured in A Silver Lining, who are experiencing a range of troubles and heartaches as tensions are building in pre-war Pontypridd.
Alma Moore is struggling - her lover Ronnie married another girl and moved to Italy in the last book, and she is lonely and vulnerable. She has become the target of destructive gossip, and she is having serious financial troubles that could drive her and her mother to the workhouse.
Bethan Powell returns to Pontypridd with her baby - but without her husband - and has to cope with some of the worst nightmares a mother can have.
'Charlie the Russian' is embarking on a new business venture and trying to help some of his friends and neighbours who he sees are in need - but he is struggling to keep his past buried and his need for love and companionship suppressed.
Evan Powell unwittingly manages to get into trouble with the police in an incident that will change his, and his family's lives, forever.
As the book progresses, silver linings to all the troubles and woes slowly emerge - some are brighter than others, but there are definite silver linings to all the clouds.
A Silver Lining is beautifully and cleverly written; it magically transports you to Pontypridd in 1938, sensitively describes a range of personal and social difficulties; and is utterly engrossing - a very moving fantastically good read.

The first book in the series is: Hearts of Gold
The second book in the series is: ONE BLUE MOON (HEARTS OF GOLD (PONTYPRIDD SERIES))

The next (fourth book) in the series is: ALL THAT GLITTERS (HEARTS OF GOLD)
on 29 August 2015
I have just finished book 5 . Can't believe Catrin Collier is such a brilliant Author.
Have read several of her series and trilogy's .
Thought I would get bored with them but keep looking forward to the next series.
on 19 October 2014
A moving tale of hardship and its impact on folk. The story is so well written that the reader feels part of the events taking place. I'm LOOK

A moving tale of poverty, despair and heartbreak. It is so well written that the reader feels part of the events that make up this story. Looking forward to reading more in this series.
on 17 February 2013
I have read all Catrin Colliers books up to and including Magda's Daughter for me they are books that I have difficulty putting down. I live near the area where most of her writting and worked in the Pontypridd area for many years so was able to imagine the area at the periods in which they were written would recomend to others. Nicely written easy reading.
on 30 May 2014
i started reading this series because the first in the series was a free read and since have read then all.
It's not my preferred genre but Catrin had me hooked. Ive read the lot and loved them all. Very easy to buy into the characters. Looking forward to reading more from Catrin in the future
on 22 April 2014
This is another great follow up read in the Hearts of Gold Series. I've already ordered the next 2 in the series and expect to carry on to the last. Catrin Collier really captures the feel of the time and place. I love this series.
on 28 January 2014
I am reading the complete series by Catrin Collier and have enjoyed the books so far. They have a local interest as I live about 12 miles away so understand the circumstances that was around in the area. Looking forward to the next book.
on 3 January 2014
What great story telling. I just know that I'm going to be reading the whole series of nine books. The characters are so vivid and the stories told so real. I would highly recommend these books to everyone.
on 4 November 2012
This is the 3rd book in the series and i couldn't wait to read next one, I'm now on the 6th book Past Remembering which is just as good as all the others have been.My sister told me about this author who a friend of hers told her about it. I must admit i'd never heard of Catrin Collier till then but she's proving to be a big hit with us. I've read most of the books on my Kindle but the last 2 in the series i have in paper back. If you have chance to read her books you won't be dissapointed.
on 5 February 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book and am looking forward to reading all the others in the series. The characters seem very real and I didn't want to put the book down. I've completed reading in and am now reading the second book.