on 18 February 2013
OK, I have suffered the problem too - sat on a transatlantic jet (or a train, or a bus)and you can hear nothing of your music because of the dreadful background racket.

I have just 'road tested' these 'phones on a Gatwick to Florida flight, and you know what? I wouldn't be without them!
For the first time ever, I could listen to the in-flight films and radio in comfort without straining to hear every word and losing the plot.

EFFECTIVENESS. Acoustics is a complex scientific business, and I don't want to go into Hertz frequencies and decibel "A" weighted sound being measured on a logarithmic scale (largely because I am not sure I understand it all myself). What I can say is that subjectively, they cut out (my best guess) about 20-40% of all unwanted background noise. In other words, it took sufficient annoying background racket away that I could hear the film dialogue over the engine noise, but could still hear what the stewardess was offering for lunch.

COST. I am sure that there are better 'phones on the market, but I'm really not up to paying a couple of hundred quid for some Bose 'phones. Besides, I am as likely to sit on a 200 quid pair of phones and wreck them as I am these.

BOTTOM LINE
1 Effective at blocking a substantial amount of background noise
2 Neat and tidy (ear cups swivel for neat stowage)
3 Comfortable (and don't make my ears sweat, nor hurt my delicate inner ear canal like buds do))
4 Outstanding value for money
5 Highly commended
on 12 November 2014
The headphones don't have a soft band on the top rim so they are uncomfortable. The plastic that swivels squeaks each time I pick them up - that's embarrassing at work. The music sound is ok. I heard my feet hitting the ground more-so when I turn on the noise cancelling battery (it reverberated into the headphones – I'm confused about why this was louder). I wish I had tried these in a shop first as I would not have bought them.
on 9 April 2013
Would definitely recommend both on the noise cancelling front and quality of sound.

I purchased these for a recent 5 hour flight to block out engine noise and although could still hear engine noise the headphones did a reasonably goos job at significantly reducing it. They are reasonably comfortable to wear for long periods of time. The quality of sound is very good. Very happy for £30!!
on 26 April 2013
As my first pair of noise cancelling headphones, I wanted something cheap yet functional and for this these are perfect. Sound quality is brilliant and noise cancelling is more than able to drown out the noise of a lawn mower. Having used them on an overnight bus journey I can also say they are very comfortable even over long time periods. Great headphones
on 1 January 2016
Again, this is a comparison of how much I paid for the product.
Panasonic make some good products, reliable and feature-packed, this is no exception.
Compare this item at £33 with Sennheiser, Bose and Sony, the main producers, and the difference, noticable, though it may be, is minimal at best, so unless you're overly fussy, spending upwards of £150 is not getting you a huge difference.
Tested in aircraft on several flights (70 hours), they certainly made a huge difference to the constant whine that modern aircraft are famous for, eliminating most of it and allowing a restful sleep.
Build Quality: on par with Sennheiser and Bose
After purchasing these, I would not consider paying 5 or more times the price for a replacement. I suppose it depends on your use - all day, every day, may warrant the better makes, but anything else, you'll be disappointed that the expensive items do not eliminate all outside noise!
on 30 November 2013
I have a few pairs of high end active noise cancelling headphones, and it wasn't the key feature I was looking for in this set. I was after comfort. So with that in mind here's a quick breakdown.

Noise cancelling: There's a switch and a light. Other than that the difference between on and off is almost impossible to quantify.

Comfort: I've had them on for ten minutes now and the hard plastic strap across the top is starting to dig into my skull. The ear cups hug the ears quite nicely, but this plastic strap is a disaster. It can be adjusted but then the cups are resting on the tops of my ears, which is not comfortable either.

Sound quality: Pleasant. I'd have no problem listening to music through these. Not the best, but perfectly acceptable.
on 19 March 2012
Headphones are comfortable and seem to have good noise cancellation for a computer room with heavy background hum. The headband doesn't fold ( and the plastic doesn't fill me with confidence as I tend to through headphones into packed bags ). It would also be better if the cable ran from on side only. But having bought for less than £30 its a small compromise for a set of good headphones.

These were bought after trying some Dr Dre Beats Solo. These give much better sound quality and comfort.

Going to buy a second pair for use at home.
on 29 April 2013
my wife wont walk next to me while im wearing them on the commute as she says they make me look a bit special needs, but they deliver great sound and cut out background noise a treat. Better than i would expect for the price.
on 13 January 2016
Bought to save using my Bose 25 at gym. Price is about right. Very lightweight plastic. Noise cancelling made no discernable difference to the GYM music (which was my aim to drown it out). Perhaps it will to hum of aircraft engines which is more regular. The ear muffs are too small to cover my ears. My wife found that the headband was too large giving a very loose fit. So designed for people with a large head but small ears. That said I was impressed with the sound quality particualry bass. Would I buy again? No sadly not. Looks like back to the Bose with the attendant high and expensive attrition rate!
on 30 June 2015
Rather heavy for prolonged use - so only 4 stars for that! Another criticism is the lack of padding under the head-band - which may not be a problem for somebody with plenty of hair. I bought it for use with my tablet so the fact that music is not as crisp and clear as I would have wished may not be entirely due to the headphones. The noise cancelling feature is not as powerful as I had expected and does tend to run the battery down rather quickly but (at normal listening levels) very little audio content can be heard elsewhere in the room.

See one answered question