4.0 out of 5 stars Onwards with USB 3.0
Published on 28 Feb. 2012 by Mr. J. White

1.0 out of 5 stars Fast USB3 Harddrive
A small fast USB3 Harddrive that just works.
If you own a USB3 laptop / desktop then this is an essential compatible storage accessory.
If you are still on a USB2 laptop / desktop but planning an upgrade then USB3 then the Western Digital still makes a sensible purchase.
Published on 29 Nov. 2012 by D. BLAIKIE

4.0 out of 5 stars Onwards with USB 3.0, 28 Feb. 2012
Mr. J. White "James" (England) - See all my reviews
First of all the product picture made me think this hard drive was the same size as the older WD Elements USB 2.0 1 TB hard drive, in actual fact its a similar size to the WD Passport range, much much smaller and a great surprise when it arrived. USB 3.0 is obviously this hard drives main focus point, I use this hard drive with my laptop mainly, as it has native USB 3.0 connectivity, but as always the hard drive is backwards compatible and will work off any USB 2.0 port but of course you won't get the increased transfer rate. Read/Write speeds of the drive are great with USB 3.0 and it can function in pretty much any scenario i.e. Backup, Storage, Portable hard drive for college/work etc.

My only bad point I would mention about this drive is the USB connection on the drive enclosure itself seems a bit flimsy and brittle. When the cable is plugged in, I felt as though I had to be really careful with it. (Not that I'm careless with hard drives in the first place). I think the problem is the USB 3.0 Data cable supplied isn't very long or flexible, so if your not careful the cable is going to put the connector under stress and possibly break.

This could be attributed to some of the negative comments regarding the drive failing, the connector itself seems to be easily damaged if your not careful. This doesn't mean however the drive itself has failed, you can often rescue external hard drives like this one if you were willing to crack open the casing. (Not for the faint of heart, its messy sometimes).

A longer and more flexible USB 3.0 data cable could be a possible workaround to this issue. I personally haven't had any problems and have had the drive for over a year and its working like it was since Day 1 but its something to be aware of.

Overall though the drive is a great performer, nice form factor, solidly built but do take note of the possible issues with the connector/cable above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 7 Feb. 2012
I had originally planned to buy a desktop external hard drive, but didn't want to be carrying that around with me. I wanted something smaller and lighter, and this is absolutely perfect.

It's much smaller than I expected it to be, which is wonderful. It's not much bigger than an iPod Touch.

It's fast, and took no fuss to get running. A review on a desktop version of this product stated that it was designed for Linux only -- I'm using Windows 7 and it runs just fine. Another stated that it's slow and malfunctions often, but I've encountered no problems at all.

A great product, well worth the money. It also arrived two weeks before the estimated delivery date!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 1 Sept. 2012
A. B. Smith - See all my reviews
I purchased this for my new MacBook Pro. It took seconds to reformat and I purely use it for TimeMachine.
Very quick neat little HDD
Totally recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent hard drive, 24 April 2012
Hemzy (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent little hard drive. I plugged it in and the PC found it straight away. Copying files and drives is very easy.
I like the fact that it gets its power from the USB port so no extra power supply aneeded. The supplied cable isn't very long but it's adequate enough if plugging into a laptop or front port on a desktop PC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job!, 15 Jun. 2012
This review is from: WD Elements 500GB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0/2.0 - Black (Personal Computers)
Yeap, it does the job, simple, easy to use and value for money from a reliable and respected manafacturer - Start up is just USB and Go, Ive knocked it a couple of times and dropped it once and its absolutely fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fast USB3 Harddrive, 29 Nov. 2012
D. BLAIKIE "Apple Mac enthusiast" (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
A small fast USB3 Harddrive that just works.
If you are stuck with only USB2 with no plans to upgrade then buy a cheaper USB2 Harddrives.
For my new USB3 laptop, this Harddrives works brilliantly.

++++++++++++IMPORTANT UPDATE+++++++++++++++++++
I bought this drive on the 1st of October.
I did my 1st Mac Laptop backup on the 4th of October.
Every 10 days I do an incremental backup.
The drive died today on the 3rd of June!!!!!!!!!!!
9 months life for a drive used once ever 10 days, terrible!
To be fair other similar drives from different manufacturers have similar 4-8% fail rates.
This is the 1st Harddrive failure I've had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, 10 Sept. 2012
Fantastic mini Hard Drive, use mine for Time Machine.

Sits there and does its job nice and quietly. Also blends in with the rest of the iMac.

5.0 out of 5 stars portable(very) hard drive, 2 Dec. 2012
compact and very portable hard drive .4.5"x 3" approx.small enough to fit in a pocket powered via the pc so no need for extra cables for a power supply value for money too.

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems, 30 Jan. 2012
James Heinrichs (Mount Hope, Kansas, US) - See all my reviews
Hooked it up and it worked! Can't say how easy it was to back up my two computers with this hard drive. All in all I am pleased with this item.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless. Do not trust, will suddenly break., 21 Sept. 2014
Miss S. Rudolph (York, UK) - See all my reviews
I had given this 5 stars, but spoke too soon. This product is AWFUL. Don't risk saving important files on it.
I've had it for less than two months and it already broke. Started making a ticking noise this evening, and I was suddenly unable to save or open any files. Had somehow corrupted and everything is LOST.
Anyone who's been in that situation (especially like me, a teacher with so many resources and lessons I hadn't backed up - shocking! - in three days) knows how heart-stopping and horrendous it is. Even if the company offered a refund I wouldn't take it, as it wouldn't replace my files.

WD Elements 500GB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0/2.0 - Black