4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as everyone says really
Published 14 months ago by U. K.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not So Much Of A Miracle
Published on 15 Sep 2011 by JustAnotherTimeLord

3.0 out of 5 stars Not So Much Of A Miracle, 15 Sep 2011
This review is from: Torchwood - Miracle Day (Series 4) [DVD] (DVD)
Let me start off by saying I love Torchwood. It has always been brilliant and it got better with every series (Series 2 is my personal favourite though). The americanisation of this fourth series has seen its fair share of ups and downs. There were many things to enjoy in this series, but the problem is it was let down by a very slow moving story which was all the time giving us questions and never any answers, I mean you don't even find out the who, what, why and how until the last 2 episodes, when they should have been revealed about half way in. Another problem is that Torchwood is a sci-fi show about a team of people who fight aliens, yet there was no aliens to be seen the entire series, plus the fact there wasn't even a clear strong protagonist for our team to fight. The best episode of the series is the 7th, called 'Immortal Sins'. It focuses heavily on Captain Jack and gives us more insight into his past while at the same time presenting us with a real, believable love between two characters that reminded me of the series 1 episode 'Captain Jack Harkness' and let me tell you that both these episodes broke my heart. One brilliant episode is not enough to make up for the averageness that was the rest of the series, with episodes 2 and 3 being outright filler in my eyes. I do hope another series gets made because in the end it is Torchwood and I do love it, plus the last episode sets some seeds for another series. Overall, it's a good series, not the best, you'll enjoy it, but just know it moves quite slowly.

1.0 out of 5 stars oh what have they done, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: Torchwood - Miracle Day (Series 4) [DVD] (DVD)
this has gone all USA with everything you liked about the quirky torchwood gone. the acting is appaulling and it was such a let down and waste of money.

it dragged on and on and really could have been 2 disks rather than 4.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Slow, 19 Sep 2011
Christopher Hall "Chris Hall" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torchwood - Miracle Day (Series 4) [DVD] (DVD)
I got into Torchwood very late. Having see a couple of episodes from series 1 and 2 and really enjoyed them, I went and bought the boxed set of series 1, 2 and 3. Despite having had huge viewing figures for Children Of Earth, I far preferred the first two series with their self contained episodes and because of that I was a little less excited by Children of Earth. A bit of a downhill dip, but I could see that others might not think so. Fair play. Then, along comes Miracle Day.

Not quite a complete disaster, but close to it. I saw the episode of Torchwood Confidential where RTD said "We had to blow up the Torchwood hub" Really Russell? Did you REALLY??? So let's examine that idea shall we? You decided it was a good idea to take the hub of a story, a special place where we were told there was a rift in time and space, creating all kinds of amazing incidents, then blow it to bits. You took a story about defending the earth from aliens, then didn't put an alien in the entire series? What a load of tosh! Talk about overstepping the "We need a new formula line" Has it not ocurred to those involved in production that people LIKE the formula, that's why we watch! This is a case of taking your favorite formula for raspberry ripple ice cream and making it with a new formula where you think it's cute to take all the rasberries out and introduce a formula where you substitute it for Beef and Mashed Potatoe. Sure, I like beef & mash, but IT THOUGHT I WAS BUYING RASPBERRY RIPPLE!!!

Slow, over padded (The story could have EASILY been told in five episodes, not ten), entirely pointless "sex scenes" which didn't enhance the plot an inch, Poorly acted by the Americans, hammed up in far too many scenes. Have I gone on enough?

I think I watched this series because I wanted it to be as good as 1 and 2. I wanted it to take me back to the things that I had come to enjoy in the first two series. But just like many broken relationships, if Children of Earth was like realising that you and your partner really didn't have much in common any more and deciding taking a break, then Miracle Day was getting back together because you remembered the good times, only to discover that the break up was really the best thing you could have done.

Thanks for the memories RTD. It's not you, it's me. .......Nope... actually, it's most certainly YOU.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmm!, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Torchwood - Miracle Day (Series 4) [DVD] (DVD)
Too long, too tedious and just a bit boring. Never got to the end as I became bored with the tlaking and fed up with the sex!

2.0 out of 5 stars What were they thinking?, 6 Nov 2011
H J Mac "Heath" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torchwood - Miracle Day (Series 4) [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this out of loyalty to Torchwood, having previously loved the show. I was just baffled by how terrible it was. It felt like the writers couldn't be bothered, the whole thing was so sluggish. Dear John Barrowman, who has been known to be OTT as Capt Jack, but was mostly always at least engaging and enthusiastic, acted like he needed to go and lie in a dark room. He just seemed tired and fed up. The US setting was a waste of time, and just highlighted how much it had lost it's charm by leaving Wales. The American characters were mostly lacklustre, or unlikeable (Rex especially) and when people from Star Trek turned up to give incomprehensible exposition, it really was beyond the last straw.

The plot developments toward the end are cringeworthy, although did provide a lot of laughs, for the wrong reasons of course, it's not meant to be funny, but seriously did they not even look at the set?

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as everyone says really, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Torchwood - Miracle Day (Series 4) [DVD] (DVD)
I bought the box about Dec last year and quite honestly just finished watching it now - May. I kept watching occasionally an ep, having been kinda put of by what I had read in previous reviews. I have to say I am a hugh Jack/Ianto fan and when Ianto died with S3 that was another reason for me to take forever to actually watch Season 4. I didn't have high expectations to be honest and maybe that is why I am actually surprised how good it realy ended being. Of course you can't really compare Miracle Day to the previous seasons, but than again, I also think neither can you compare S3 to 2 or 1. The idea is quite good and to be honest during the firyt few eps you quickly forget that there is still a mystery to be solved - the mystery of why no one can die and how to stop that. The Season has quite a good cast and some amazing characters that you learn to love - or hate. Even the villain is someone you will fall in love with at the end, when you see him being triggered to do better and bigger things. It is quite a new approach to the show and it is quite well done. Sure, if you wanna see S1 or 2 you will be surprised, but than you should only watch S1 and 2. In the end I am glad I did buy it. It is def worth watching, and may it only be for Captain Jack Harkness and his fetching features :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Just another generic american sci-fi, 21 Nov 2011
This review is from: Torchwood - Miracle Day (Series 4) [DVD] (DVD)
What a waste! One of the great things that British tv has over American shows is a more flexible format, by which I mean that you have the number of episodes per series you need to tell the story and no more; and more importantly you quit while you're ahead! Many great shows have finished leaving fans wanting more, but this is infinitely preferable to watching a favourite show lose its way, shedding much-loved characters and boring once avid fans until they no longer care what happens, which is often the American way.
I've been watching Doctor Who since childhood and have loved the new version and Torchwood. The charm of both these shows is that they retain the slightly homemade vibe of the original shows-the special effects are a bit shonky and the actors look like real people. They have a quirky sense of humour, are often a little bit silly, and yet can be both genuinely moving and surprisingly scary. This version of Torchwood could have been any generic American sci-fi show, slick and dull. The only good bits involved Jack, Gwen and her family. I couldn't have cared less about the rest of the cast and had trouble concentrating hard enough to follow the meandering plot. If this is all we can expect in the future, then I don't want to see another series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Watching this is worse than death itself!, 19 Dec 2011
This review is from: Torchwood - Miracle Day (Series 4) [DVD] (DVD)
I couldn't agree more with Chris Hall, but I believe that Miracle Day WAS a complete disaster! Torchwood 1 & 2 is everything that older Doctor Who fans (and general sci-fi fans) could ask for. All the perks of Doctor Who with as much sex and violence as you can shake a stick at. Torchwood 3 shows us a more interlectual side to the show, with a strong storyline and not too many action scenes with a good ending. But Miracle Day? What the hell where they thinking?!!! It doesn't even involve aliens (which is the whole point of the show). It drags on for a painful ten hours with an easy and pointless ending. As far as I'm concerned, Miracle Day can be its own show and doesn't count as a valid part of the Torchwood story!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars So much went wrong so quickly..., 19 Nov 2011
This review is from: Torchwood - Miracle Day (Series 4) [DVD] (DVD)
I've followed Torchwood since its beginnings, and I've seen the storylines wax and wane. Sadly, Miracle Day is the closest I've ever come to giving up on it. The plot was flawed, and much of it seemed to contradict previous narrative elements. One of Torchwood's main charms is the fact that it's worlds apart from all the other sci-fi drama on our screens. Unfortunately, this is traded for the American, visually stunning, cable-network feel. Everything that made Torchwood different and special was lost, and it became just another sci-fi in an overcrowded field.

I think I would have happily given up on it after the second episode if it hadn't been for the fact that I kept hoping it would get better; after all, Torchwood - Children of Earth (Series 3) [DVD] was amazing despite a rocky start. Sadly this didn't happen.

Miracle Day was a let down for those who have followed Torchwood, and for those looking for something new and exciting. However, for those who want another high budget American sci-fi where the plot has been bypassed to make room for action, it's perfect.

2.0 out of 5 stars When Two Worlds Collide, 11 Sep 2011
This review is from: Torchwood - Miracle Day (Series 4) [DVD] (DVD)
WARNING!! Review May contain spoilers...

After the shockingly good Children Of Earth, I wanted Torchwood back. I knew it was an ending to the Series, but I didn't care. I needed it back. Unfortuatly this is a perfect example of be careful what you wish for. With the shows creator and head writer Russell T Davies now working in the US, and The BBC unwilling to commit to a new series, it seemed Torchwood was gone forever. But a deal with the US network Starz and the Torchwood team being relocated to the US, the show was ressurected in the capable hands of Mr Davies himself and Jane Epenson, well known to fans of Sci-Fi and Fantasy for writing episodes of Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Battlestar Galactica. However, after all the build up it was perhaps the biggest let down in television since it was declared there would be no Firefly Series 2. The premise for the story is good, but is stretched to breaking point across the 10 episodes, any number between four and six episodes would have surficed. The dialogue is good, but a little unfamiliar, as if it was written for different characters. Also the increased budget seems to be only used to buy bigger explosions then ever before. The show seems to have severed ties with it's parent show, the Indomitable Doctor Who, completely, as if it's characters don't opperate in the same universe anymore. On the plus side, there's returning stars John Barrowman and Eve Myles as Captain Jack Harkness and Gwen Cooper respectively, with Cooper's husband Rhys Williams also returning in the reliable form of Kai Owen. Joining the crew are Mekhi Phifer, as CIA Hardman Rex Matheson and Alexa Havins as Esther Drummond, A Computers expert also from the CIA. But best of all are Bill Pullman as Pedophile/Murderer Oswald Danes, who manically prances and smirks his ways through episodes, though also good is Lauren Ambrose as his PA Jilly Kizinger. The Series has some good momments (The Climmax to episode 5 is the best), but ultimately, it's tranfer to the US weighs far too heavily on a show that seems to be on it's last legs.

The New World 5/10