Here are a few things that struck me about this film:
1. Violence. Rated at 15 in the UK for the strong violence in the spearing scene (which gets flashbacked at various points in the film). The violence is not gratuitous but certainly 'strong'. It seemed to me to accurately portray the vicious revenge-ridden lives this tribe endured.
2. The compassion, and the courage to act based on that compassion is striking. When was the last time you stepped out of your comfort zone in compassion?
3. The spearing of the missionaries was not in vain but spoke powerfully of how the greatest good can result directly from the most horrible tragedy (I have seen this for myself with my son who is terminally ill with cancer).
4. Christianity did not inflict cultural genocide. If anything, these people's cultural identity was preserved by Christianity on two counts: 1. the race would have died out through violence without this intervention, 2. customs, language and appearance were all fully respected if not actually embraced. Sycophantic opponents of Christianity would rather cultures like these were exterminated or left to writhe in their own squallor instead of being given the chance to 'live well' (quote from the film).
5. Check out the wikipedia entry for this film. Avoiding spoilers, it explains what for me was a needlessly cheesy part of the film near the end where two of the main protagonists were being reconciled.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The movie is based on the true story of a group of Christian missionaries who were killed by an indigenous tribe in the Ecuador's jungle.

The message of the movie is amazing: the victims' wives decided to stay in Ecuador and continue to share the Gospel of Christ with the tribe.
It is impressive that the son of one of the victims, Steve, forgave the murderer of his father!

However, it is unacceptable that in a movie about Christian missionaries, the word Jesus is never mentioned, perhaps in the name of today's political correctness.
on 15 January 2013
In the fifties five missionaries were massacred by the Auca Indians when they took the good news of gospel to them . Subsequently Jim Elliot's widow (Elizabeth) went back and lived with the Indians who had killed her husband. She taught them that Jesus Christ came into this world to saave sinners. Many were converted to Christ and their lives were completely changed.
on 20 October 2011
I was lucky enough to see this free on Television and I would have liked to see this movie on Blue Ray then I might buy a copy. The photography in the jungle was spectacular but the TV presentation did not do it justice. The story was simple enough, damn missionaries trying to change a culture that has been around as long as christianity and as usual it all ended in tears. But it was interesting to the extent that you never thought that the outcome of the whole event would end as it did but I guess it must have as it was a true story. Any missionary comes to my front door beware I have learnt some new tricks due to this film. Yes I would watch this again.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...