4.0 out of 5 stars Fifa 12 - It will make you laugh and cry!!
Published on 27 Nov. 2011 by Pankow27

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the worst FIFA game yet
As the title states, this is the worst game of FIFA I have ever played.
I am sorry I wasted the £30+ in paying for this rubbish.

The AI in this game is obscene.
The AI thinks to itself "Alright, it's time to score", turns into God mode and utterly destroys me.
Amateur in far too easy and semi-pro onwards becomes progressively God-like...
Published on 5 July 2012 by Adrian

4.0 out of 5 stars Fifa 12 - It will make you laugh and cry!!, 27 Nov. 2011
Pankow27 (Berlin, Germany) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA 12 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I haven't played a Fifa game for about 4 years (preferring usually the Pro Evolution franchise) but this year I decided to give it a whirl owing to ever more positive reviews for EAs footy installments. When I first started playing I was very happy about a number of things, and, unhappy about some others. This review does not include online play, I am only reviewing what you get in the box when you buy it!!

What I love about Fifa 12:

The graphics are fantastic with realistic player animation and some wonderful kit designs. The only let-down in the graphical department is the crowd. They look paper thin and all move together in some strange cult-like motion. But, with that said, its the action on the pitch which attracts all of your attention. The commentary is also very well done and it includes some nice titbits of information about each team to give it all a more realistic feel (for example, playing as Leeds United, the commentators often remind me at the beginning of a match of our spectacular fall from grace in the past ten years etc). The menu screens are easy to navigate and the game contains a long list of tracks which you can listen to while messing around with your formation. The best part though is "Career Mode" where you take over a team of your choosing and try to take them to the top. There is an immense library of players (most of which have their real-life picture in their profile) and the inclusion of a youth academy option allows you to discover and develop the next stars of tomorrow.

What I dislike about Fifa 12:

It's hard! Very hard! That isn't really the thing that bothers me though, because all games should have a learning curve where you progressively improve, but Fifa 12 has a different kind of difficulty. You can be playing the game of your life, but, when the computer decides it's time they scored a goal, that's usually exactly what they do! A lot of other reviewers have mentioned this too, and it can be very frustrating (I have wanted to throw my controller through the television on more than one occasion!). But, the longer you play the better you become at preventing this. It is very realistic which means you have to play like a real-life player. If that means tracking back and cutting off passes without ever getting a touch yourself then that's what you'll have to do. So, although for a hardcore footy fan like me, this is (in the longrun) a good thing, I wouldN't recommend this to anyone who wants to pick up and play without any hassle and score thirty-yard screamers every match!

Overall then:

+ beautiful graphics (stadia, kits, player faces etc.)
+ extremely satisfying to win games (as you have to work hard to do so)
+ nice soundtrack
+ controls are easy to learn, difficult to master (there are dozens of hidden tricks and skills)
+ beautifully animated (extremely realistic player movements and collisions)
+ realistic (a true footy fan's game)

- unexpected shifts in difficulty causes frustration
- crowd look like paper cut-out
- Alan Smith constantly reminding me (as a Leeds fan) that we aren't successful anymore :-(

Great game if not a bit frustrating at times. Highly recommended overall however. If I could I would give it 4.5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game but few negatives, 29 Nov. 2011
This review is from: FIFA 12 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
When Fifa 12 came out I was really excited and there are some positive steps as well as some negatives. The player impact engine is a real postive step because now players can bounce off stronger players whilst trying to win the ball and there are different injuries such as Lucas Patinho for my team (Sampdoria) is out with ligament damage for another 7 weeks (already spent 3 months out). Dribbiling is alot better as you can now dribble past players with the ball closer to you, even if your player has 70 for ball control and are right on the touchline, whilst before that player would loose the ball or run it out of play. The graphics for players have got better such as Javier Hernandez, which is good, and in Career Mode you can now have more detail information about your players whether they are happy, content or unhappy due to not being played enough, paid enough etc. The new youth system is also brilliant for a more realistic feel.

The negatives are still the same such as the CPU players find it so much easier to win the ball off your players, and yet you struggle to win the ball off them and when you do the majority of the time its a free kick to the other team. The referee still gives ridiculous free kicks and penalties away (example is I am using Sampdoria and Gastadello won the ball from a slide tackle in the box which was clear as day and the ref gave a penalty, I mean what the hell, and to top it off the CPU seems to get more decisions than you which is really unfair in my case). The final thing I find really annoying and is a big negative is that if your winning or drawing your players can pass the ball in really tight spaces, not get in each others way, crosses are really accurate and create good positioning etc but as soon as you are loosing your whole team becomes rubbish and your own players get in your way and the crossing is dreadful and the CPU team becomes amazing with their passing and crossing which is so stupid in my view (even if the passing error is on 70 as I tried that out), and your players sometimes won't move around an opposition player who is blocking you, even if you try and move your player with the joystick, which gets on my nerves.

Overall it's a great game but EA need to sort these little negatives that have been in Fifa for a while and in my view spend a little bit more time on the career mode, and then the game will be even better and a 5 star from me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the worst FIFA game yet, 5 July 2012
This review is from: FIFA 12 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
As the title states, this is the worst game of FIFA I have ever played.
I am sorry I wasted the £30+ in paying for this rubbish.

The AI in this game is obscene.
Amateur in far too easy and semi-pro onwards becomes progressively God-like.

But, you get what you pay for and based on what I have played from FIFA 12, I'll be sticking to Pro Evo.

3.0 out of 5 stars Multiplayer excellent, single player frustrating, 4 May 2012
Mr. S. A. Brown "yentilsale1" (Kilmarnock, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FIFA 12 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
For me, the basic mechanics of the gameplay in FIFA 12 are probably the best they've been in the FIFA series for some time. The passing and movement is a lot sharper, especially if you speed up the gameplay in the settings menu. It's about as close to old school PES as the Xbox has got in my opinion.

While playing friends is great, however, I really find playing the computer more of a chore than anything else. The main problem is the computer AI, which has been designed in such a way that it saps most of the enjoyment out of the game. It's not that it's too difficult, or too easy, it's simply that the way the computer plays is exceptionally tiresome to compete against.

They relentlessly try and keep the ball, but not in a realistic way like Barcelona or Spain would do - instead they run around in circles in such a manner that you can't tackle them. On several occasions I've chased an opposition player all the way back from the halfway line to his own goal line - as if simply running backwards is a legitimate strategy because it allows you to keep hold of the ball.

They also seem to have a perverse love of dribbling along the side of the pitch so that even if you do tackle them it spins out for a throw in. It's neither realistic nor enjoyable to play against this sort of thing because, especially on the more difficult modes, you'll find yourself giving the ball away and then chasing shadows for 2 minutes while the computer potters about without even attempting to threaten your own goal. It's not dominating possession so much as it is time wasting.

For that reason I've given it three stars because it's effectively written off the single player mode for me. As a multiplayer the game is fantastic, though, so if that's your main intention in buying it then I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Attack Or Defence, 14 July 2012
This review is from: FIFA 12 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
"Defend with creativity" That's what Ea Sports quoted on the release of this game. But can we really defend with creativity, sometimes in this game player bump into each-other and fly across the whole pitch other times a through ball is played from the opposing team and your player will suddenly start jogging and the attacker will just run past you. As we move onto attacking i would just like to mention that they still haven't fixed the fact when you play a pass you player doesn't run towards the he just stands still. sometime when you play a through ball near the opposing goal one of your players, yes one of your own players might block the pass. Goalkeepers are so over powered so you can never score goals and i definetly regret buying this game.

1.0 out of 5 stars Enough is enough, 19 July 2012
K. walton "Lionel Luthor 21" (Leeds England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FIFA 12 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Having played this title for almost a year now i have to say,it is dawning on me how well EA dupe it's public.There are so many flaws in this game one cannot say it is close to realism.First dynamic passing is as dynamic as a hibernating tortoise,most of the time the ball goes where the game says it is going to go even if you are stood motionless and pointed at the player you wish to pass to it fails to deliver .second weight of pass or cross is a joke you can tap the button or hold it down and power it up the result is the same.Third player runs are about as intelligent as wurzel gummidge.In short this game is just a piece of scripted nonsense which is marketed in a brilliant way but i for one have seen the light.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Game Destroyed By Predetermined Match Outcomes, 12 July 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA 12 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Fifa 12 is possibly the greatest in the Fifa series so far. The game play is smoother and it feels like a real football match is being played. However, this comes at a great cost and that cost is servere difficulty glitches. Now, I'm not going to pretend that I'm fantastic at Fifa because I'm not. I play on Semi-Pro difficulty as Amatuer is just too easy and I'm not at the level of Pro yet. I spend most of my time on the game in Career Mode and this is where things can get silly. Why? Let me tell you...

The match outcomes are predetermined by the CPU before you start playing. In some matches there will be next to no power in my shots and they are off target in the extreme. I can beat Manchester United easily but have the next game against Shrewsbury Town and they suddenly become Barcelona like they are on World Class difficultly, I cannot get the ball from them and they score with every shot. I cannot tell you the amount of 80/20 or 70/30 possesion games that I've had and not in my favour. This doesn't make the game fun, it makes it frustrating. Another thing that crops up is the "I am going to score now and there's not a damn thing you can do about it!" situation. This is when the AI decides that it is time for them to score a goal, sometimes multiples in quick succession, and you can not do anything to stop them. Something else that I feel the need to point out is the fact that the opposing teams attackers will be faster than your defenders without fail. Same goes for their defenders, they will be faster than your attackers in every game. It doesn't matter who you're playing against. There are times when every pass you make will be intercepted, again in the no-win scenario. All these points I've raised make it incredibly unrealistic at times.

EDIT: I have now moved the Semi-Pro difficulty down to Amatuer as I believe this produces a more balanced game based on attributes. However, the fun has been completely removed from the game now. If matches are predetermined then where's the fun? I have lost matches on Amatuer, random teams still turn into Barcelona at times but at least I'm in with a chance. Amatuer now feels more like Semi-Pro used to in past Fifa games.

These issues need addressing in Fifa 13. Please, EA, you have a great game here. It's time to address the issues once and for all!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Game (But Just Not Fun!), 13 Jan. 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA 12 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Rather like Downton Abbey, I look at Fifa 12 as a truly amazing production, with no effort spared going into detailed and perfected creations. It is a very well made game. But, its just not as fun as it should and could have been.

The number of options can be startling to someone new to console sports games, or to someone who's been out of the loop for a few years. Editing teams and players, making your own, playing through the career and virtual pro modes and all the rest the game has to offer could last you more than enough of your life for the price tag to be justified.

The Graphics are incredible. Texturing is awesome, and, although the crowds are still skimped on and some of the players look like zombie versions of themselves, you can just tell its a matter of time until you're basically watching more accurate versions of the players than the players themselves are.
Combined with the excellant presentation, making each game feel like you're watching it on TV, and you could (as my dad did) make the mistake of thinking you're watching a real match. (The little one-on-ones during loading are also a neat addition that give you something to do and move seamlessly from menu to game.)

So, yeah, awesome. But... gameplay can be frustrating. The difference in difficulty is one example. Semi-Pro will have you beating anyone as anyone 9-0. However, make the small step up to Pro and... well, nil nil draws become a near certainty - again, regardless of who is playing who. I've managed to tie up Barcelona with Accrington Stanley, and equally fail to penetrate Wimbledon AFC's defence with Man United. (Get good at penalties is all I can advise.)

That's gripe one, but maybe it's just me and I need to just practice some more, fair enough. So then there's the defending... um, on paper it looks like a good system, but in reality its one of the most annoying I've ever encountered. Defending should be intuative and tactical. This is complicated, inneffective and less about tactics than being good at bashing and holding a weird combination of buttons (more often than not in a vain attempt to pry the ball from the possession of a team four leagues lower than you).

My other gripe is with the passing. Most modern games have tried as hard as possible to put more and more emphasis on making passing the primary weapon in any teams arsenal. The old days of being able to bomb past a defender and stick it in the top corner from thirty yards away are gone, and I think fair enough. So why then, if passing is to be so important, is it so slow? Every pass is incredibly labourious. Trying to silkily slide your way through the defence like Barcelona is a pipe-dream, with the more common result of crawling, inching, painfully slow balls reaching their destination an age after the defence has been able to re-organise and form an impenatrable wall. The number of times I've had my intended receiver just stand there, waiting for the ball to snail its way to him has also been infuriating.
Basically; how am I supposed to pass my way through a team's defence when the passing is so slow?
My attempt to solve this problem by holding the pass button longer failed, as it simply made the pass go to a player further away. So there's basically no such thing as weighted passes. And in exchange, you're constantly on edge that your intended medium range pass will either be to slow and intercepted, or too hard and go straight past your receiver to the opposition.

Equally, to detract from the running tactic, players seem to have been slowed down. Not just slowed though, slowed in comparison to the defenders. I'm not saying I should just be able to get Lionel Messi to run through a team's defence everytime, but when he loses out in a straight running race against some six foot, flat footed defender from a 2 star team, I do start to wonder. Plus it seems like every 50/50 is to be won by the defender. Eg; Rooney has a through ball played to him that he just gets to ahead of the fullback. Does he manage to outmuscle him? Accelerate past him? Create a yard of space to make a pass or shot? No... he gets outmuscled by the tiny 5'6 featherweight... Right.

So yeah, plenty of gripes with the gameplay.

One redeaming feature which by-passes several of the above issuses is the 'be a pro' mode, which is probably the highlight of the game for me. Controlling your player (literally, if you create an in-game version of yourself (or more likely an in-game version of how good you'd like to be ;))) can be fun, offer a new tactical dimension and make you concentrate on making everything you do be as good as it can be. (When you may only get 5% of the action, you learn to utilise it far more effectively.) Obviously though, that is the downside to this mode - getting less action and feeling like a spectator, however, at least the AI gets to control the defending and my experience is that games are much less likely to end up as bore draws in this mode (unless I'm the lone front-man ;)).

The addition of the be a pro goalkeeper is neat, although, once more, a bit dull. I get the realism of being a keeper, watching the game play out and only rarely being called into action (I'm a goalkeeper in the real world, I'm used to it) but they could have at least given you something to do in the intervening time... juggle, maybe? Also, the realism is somewhat blone when I can get David De Gea to wander forward and score the only goal of the match from the edge of the area... but could I get Wayne Rooney to do the same thing? No chance...

Anyhoo, bottom line - the 'be a pro' basically sums up this edition of fifa. A massive improvement in many ways, bringing many harsh realities of the real world of football with the glitz and the incredible presentation a real premier league football match is given on the TV. On the downside though, fun is sacrificed to an unnecessary degree. Attempts to make the experience feel more realistic have fallen flat on their face; Five star Man Uniteds, Barcelonas, Arsenals, Real Madrids etc should not find it so hard going against one star teams. The way it shoots itself in the foot is painful, 'cos you can really see how there was a fantastic game here. But by slowing everything down, making defending a chore and Accrington Stanley & Barcelona peers when it comes to attacking and defending it imposes its own idea of realism on a game that should have kept fun and entertainment at its core.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game but defending has spoilt it.... Back to PES!, 18 Nov. 2011
This review is from: FIFA 12 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I have always been a PES fan up until PES 2008 was sooooo bad, I moved to fifa from 09, 10, 11 and now 12. I ordered the special edition for the free 18 gold packs as I enjoy Ultimate Team.
Now don't get me wrong, I would say I'm a better than average player. On Fifa 11 online, I was hard to beat, infact it was hard to score 1 against me. But this defensive system will have you give away stupid goals and crazy unreal penalties!
If you press the ball and press the tackle button the guy will go for the tackle but if you miss he is out of the game and if it's a defender then the other player will be one on one. If I hold back and wait and time it right, it still doesn't always work out and if I really go out and jockey, jockey, jockey.... A crappy low key player will shoot against my 84 rated keeper and it will slowly go along the floor and go in. WTF!!!! ARRRGGHHHHH.
My Ultimate Team has been crafted slowly without cheating but the defensive system is spoiling my game and crazy goals go in. Most games will end 5-4 etc. I don't care how good at Fifa 11 you were, this will knock you back down to less than average.
Playing the computer is SOOOOOO hard and frustrating. It doesn't feel real, they don't cross the ball, they keep turning backwards to keep posession, nothing like real football. My first game on the Career mode on JUST PROFESSIONAL.... (me) Man UTD 0 - West Brom 4 (cpu). Crazy, the computer is perfect at defending and clinical at finishing. vidic couldn't even compete against low key players.
The transfers are sooooo crazy, teams unrealisticly buying all these stars and in season one all the premier league has transormed in to La Liga LOL.
Gonna rent PES 12 and see how it compares and then maybe trade.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Game!, 6 Jan. 2012
S. Brown (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA 12 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Once again, EA have improved upon the previous FIFA game, ironing out some of the flaws that have us all reeling every year. There are still minor flaws, but these are negligible, and are almost insignificant! The main change though, and a welcomed one in my opinion, is the tackling. Unlike previous games you can't just hold in pressure, which was just too easy and far too effective. Now that you have to manually tackle players it's more about timing and awareness. This will make it more difficult for people new to the game, or those who don't like football very much, but then they have left in the option to change it back to the old defending. For regular buyers of FIFA it may take a while to get used to, but will be well worth it when you do, as I think it could be so much more effective when you perfect it. It adds to the realism of the game and is a good thing in the long run, even if it is hard to get used to at first. Everything else is great and pretty much the same, just a bit slicker. Although, the new dribbling isn't really that much different, they could have made that so much better, but then that'll probably come in later FIFAs. In summary, the changes are all positive ones and is definitely the best FIFA yet! All FIFA and football fans will love this!

FIFA 12 (Xbox 360)
FIFA 12 (Xbox 360) by Electronic Arts (Xbox 360)