5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Bloomin' Fantastic, 19 April 2012
This review is from: Illusions (MP3 Download)
I recently gave up on the world of pop, r'n'b etc. because I became extremely frustrated about what is supposedly 'great music' nowadays. Great music to me, is something that can conjure up all sorts of emotions in you - empowerment, reflection, even sadness and can also make your stomach flip when you hear it.

There is no way on earth that you can find that anywhere in the modern music of today in my opinion - you'll be lucky if you can find anyone who can actually sing never mind anything else.

I've always loved film scores and the like and I've always had far more of those on my iPod than anything else so I decided to give in entirely and no modern pop,r'n'b or similar chart music now exists any where in my collection (pressing that delete button to make it final was rather a liberating feeling). I'm always scouring for new material to add to the new library and during one of my searches I stumbled upon the two albums from TSFH, I thought it couldn't get any better than that but since I heard TB's solo effort I must now declare that I am deliriously in love.

It's a fabulous roller-coaster of some of the most soaring, haunting, emotional and epic music that I've ever been fortunate enough to hear. 'Ocean Princess' is a prime example of that stomach-flip effect that listening to it gives you and I now know every note of just that one track from having it on repeat.

I've recently discovered that TSFH have a new album coming out a little later this year and I have almost pd my pants with excitement because if Thomas' solo effort is anything to go by, then the new material from the group will send my emotions to new heights.

Farewell pop, hello to real music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scroll up and click "Add to Basket", 18 Nov 2011
This review is from: Illusions (MP3 Download)
I didn't used to be one for listening to classical/instrumental music but recently I've discovered that my workflow is much more productive when I do. This is a really welcome addition to that playlist, as I really like every song, which is rare for me. If you're hovering about trying to decide, just do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding, 17 Dec 2011
A. Alexander (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Illusions (MP3 Download)
I could go on and on about how amazing this is, but to do so would take time away from you buying and listening to it! So I'll just say this, easily the best, most awe inspiring album I have ever purchased and, short of Thomas Bergersen producing another album, the best I ever will buy.

Go and buy this now!

5.0 out of 5 stars What an Album!, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Illusions (MP3 Download)
Let me first say I am a huge fan of Dr Who. (What does that have to do with anything? I hear you say). The 50th Anniversary trailer features Starvation as the backing track. I was thus lead to this album, via Dr Who. 19 songs for less that 7.50 is great value. Even more so when you consider the absolute jaw dropping beauty, power and emotional stirring of these tracks.

If your looking to put you toe in the water first, please let me recommend, A place in heaven, Starvation and Remember Me, as three excellent starting points. Remember me, is one of the most elegantly simple and yet, grab you by the guts emotive pieces I have ever heard. As with any album there are always tracks you love more than others and Illusions is no exception.

However, over all, this is fantastic. I would recommend this to anyone who loves the music of Skyrim, Dr Who, any number of video game and movie trailers. But most of all, I would recommend this to anyone who loves to be stirred and amazed by great, beautiful music. If you don't agree with me (I admit, I'm not the best review writer on planet Earth) read the other reviews and you'll see what I mean.

5.0 out of 5 stars quite possibly the best album of all time, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: Illusions (MP3 Download)
I find it difficult to say which album I prefer over another. There's some that have 3 or so songs you love with the rest being meh, or ones that are decent all the way through but nothing really stands out. For "Illusions", however, quite simply every single song has gone straight to being classed as a favourite. Considering there's 19 tracks on the album (great value for money!) that's no mean feat - not a single song lets this album down. I think the only word I can describe it with is flawless. Nothing short of masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Illusions is absolutely extraordinary. Beautifully epic, you will be amazed at how good it is, 4 July 2011
L. Hubbard (Cardiff) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Illusions (MP3 Download)
Thomas Bergersen is one of the main composers for trailer music company Two Steps From Hell, and contributed largely to the epic Invincible. On Illusions however, this is purely a solo effort from TB. And what an effort it is. Wonderful melodies, epic orchestral and choral writing, and electronics all linked seamlessly, this album is an absolute delight from start to finish.

This album has a very different feel when compared to Invincible, which very much sounded like trailer music. The thing that sets this album apart from Invincible is the wonderful use of solo instruments that just adds so much depth and emotion. In particular, there are many tracks which feature some rather exotic sounding woodwind instruments that sound incredible. In addition, many of tracks feature solo vocalists and it really enhances the tracks rather than sounding cheesy.

I started to write a section on which tracks should receive a special mention, and quickly realised I would just be listing the entire album. Each track has it's own unique and wonderful melody, and the majority of the tracks are long enough for this to develop without the music climaxing to quickly.

Overall, Illusions sounds extraordinary. I read that it took several years for TB to complete the album - and judging by the result that is easy to believe. This does not sound like high quality trailer music - it sounds like a beautifully crafted orchestral album with fantastic use of electronics and a wide range of soloists, the quality of which surpasses trailer music, and a lot of modern soundtracks. Rarely does the album go into into apocalyptic mode like its predecessor Invincible, instead choosing to amaze with the quality of the writing rather than orchestral brute force. That isn't to say the music in Illusions doesn't sound epic, it does. I really can't portray how good this album is, so if you find yourself on this page don't hesitate to click the buy button - it will probably be the best album you have heard in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is definately NO Illusion., 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: Illusions (Audio CD)
One the best music compilations I've ever heard. Shows how this type of music should be done.
Buy this now or miss it at your peril.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Illusions (MP3 Download)
I first heard the works of this artist via his Two Steps From Hell albums and was wowed by those tracks. This solo album is even better, all the tracks are fantastic with many including some stunning vocal/choral work along with the sweeping, epic music. I think the term 'trailer music' does this type of album a disservice and I consider all them as part of the soundtrack genre and superb examples of this.

Highly recommended, just buy it, you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best TSFH album they never made, 24 April 2014
M. Gudgin "Wookiee with a chocolate addiction" (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Illusions (MP3 Download)
Technically this is not a Two Steps From Hell album, as it has been made by only one half of that outfit. If this album is anything to go by, he's easily the better half because this music is sublime. Highly recommended if you enjoy TSFH, Immediate Music and soundtrack music in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best CD in my collection..., 11 Mar 2014
Marian Gonos - See all my reviews
This review is from: Illusions (Audio CD)
Hi from Slovakia,
everything has been said about this music and I would like to add my small part of the puzzle. This is by far the best CD in my collection and to be honest I heard lot of music in recent 20 years or so. The words can not describe the beauty, heart and soul in this music and there is no need for words, just close your eyes and listen...Together with Two Steps From Hell SKYWORLD's they are creating something special. I still prefer CD instead of MP3, so I am glad, that finally I can own my original CD of Thomas Bergersen Illusions and Skyworld...I am really looking forward for the new CD called SUN, hopefully in 2014...

Illusions