4.0 out of 5 stars A great debut
You'd expect a highly-publicised former 'child prodigy' pianist to take the world by storm with his playing, but Grosvenor's pianism is far too interesting to focus solely on pyrotechnics. Indeed, it could almost be described as stealthy, the way he focuses on clarity and inner lines in Chopin's Scherzos when other pianists are more intent on barnstorming virtuosity. My...
Published on 22 Jan 2012 by Elpenor

3.0 out of 5 stars Too fast?
I FEEL that this is a very well recorded album. BG has a simply unbelievable technique and on some future album we will be able to enjoy it, but for me anyway, not this time. I blind tested it on a VERY discerning friend and he felt the same way.

Published on 8 Dec 2012 by R. T.

5.0 out of 5 stars Benjamin Grosvenor., 7 April 2014
Terry Elms (Esher, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This debut disc from the young Benjamin Grosvenor is virtuosic, but much more importantly, the performances have a rare insight into the real meaning contained within the music. Confident and with a modest self assurance Benjamin Grosvenor is a very great talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 3 Oct 2014
A pleasing cd for the choice of music and the performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful perfomance, 31 Aug 2011
Bought this to support this exciting young pianist, and I was not disappointed in his performance. His choice of pieces is well balanced , and travels through the development of the this age of composing. My only regret is that he has signed up with DECCA, who are not yet publishing using HD (24 bit +96 khz ) or on SACD, we are therefore limited to listening on the old style CD recording format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure genius on the piano, 17 Aug 2011
M. ANDREWS "arts and crafts" (Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
When I heard Benjamin Grosvenor perform on the Proms this year, the sensitivity of his playing brought tears to my eyes and when he performed an 'Encore' I decided there and then to order this CD from Amazon. It arrived incredibly speedily and has been transferred to our IPod and played frequently both for personal use and when entertaining dinner guests. I would thoroughly recommend this CD to anyone who delights in hearing the piano played with such a varied touch indicating the ability Benjamin Grosvenor has of stamping his own interpretation on a piece.

5.0 out of 5 stars A prodigy pianist performs Chopin, Liszt, and Ravel, 27 July 2011
Serghiou Const (Nicosia, Cyprus) - See all my reviews
I have recently attended a live performance with the brilliant pianist here in Nicosia with similar, possibly identical programme to that of the disc.

The review will treat the live performance and disc as an integrated whole.

The event took place in a modern building in 'old Nicosia' by definition denoting the part of the city within the Venetian Walls. The elegant premises serve both as residence of the founder and president of the Pharos Trust, a non for profit cultural foundation and as a venue for hosting classical music recitals ranging from chamber music to solo performances of visiting foreign groups and single artists. The double ceiling room has a capacity of around 80-100 people, the audience attending are classical music connoisseurs and the whole setting is conducive to an intimate and eclectic atmosphere. A capacity crowd listened intently to a bravura performance bursting with applause at the conclusion of pieces. Apart from his precocious talent the still teenage pianist projected an appealing personality and finesse.

For the description of individual pieces and the structure of a well thought programme, I have drawn liberally from the excellent liner note which I encourage the reader to peruse.

The Chopin part comprise the four energetic Scherzos with their stark contrasts interspersed by the harmonic sophistication, melodic beauty and intricate ornamentation of the three nocturnes;then follow Chopin's six Polish songs transcribed to perfection by Liszt. The Chopin and Ravel parts are bridged by Liszt's en reve nocturne, a work that anticipates Ravel's Gaspard de la nuit. En reve, composed in 1885, a year before Liszt's death is far removed from his earlier extravacant virtuosity. This late style becomes increasingly inward and speculative:tonality is frequently undermined rather than reiforced, stark austerity replaces pianistic extravagance, and endings are often enigmatic, suspended and unresolved. The programme concludes with Ravel's Gaspard de la nuit which is one of the iconic challenges of the repertoire:in its requirements for tone colour and atmosphere, and its range of articulation and dynamics, it demands as much of the piano as it does of the pianist.

The brilliance of the teenage pianist and the uniquely suited for the piano pieces, exploring the full reach of the piano render the disc a rare gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Oct 2014
brilliant talent

3.0 out of 5 stars Too fast?, 8 Dec 2012
R. T. (North Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews

Examples: Scherzo 1 (a fast piece) BG 8'18: Ashkenazy 9'51; Le Gibet (a slow piece) BG 5'30: Roget 6'37. I better emphasize that not every track is this crazy, some are really quite good, but Scherzo 1 upset me so badly that it is difficult to be objective after hearing it. My friend, of Scherzo 1, actually said that it sounded like a parody of Chopin. Personally I wish that I had never heard it, most unpleasant.

Stars for technical prowess 6, stars for overall artistic judgement... a lot less.

I am absolutely thrilled that we have a potential pianist who, understandably, can run beside Stephen Hough, and I suppose if the object was to make a big first splash then this album seems to be working on a lot of people, but for those of us musicians who like to relate to the music that we are listening to this kind of thing is alienating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chopin Ravel, 16 Nov 2011
Hamel (France) - See all my reviews
un pianiste d'une virtuosité rare qui montre la réelle modernité de certaines aeuvres de Chopin ; mais il est difficile d'égaler Sergio Tiempo dans Gaspard de la Nuit !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CD, 18 Oct 2011
P. Potter - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
An inspirational CD from a very talented youngster. Benjamin never fails to put his own mark on these well known classics. Would definitely recommend this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Young Benjamin a hit, 18 Aug 2011
Christopher Kell (New York) - See all my reviews
While not a huge fan of solo piano music, I found this new recording by the star of the first night of the Proms 2011 to be very satisfying and enjoyable. It will be interesting to rehear this repertoire in a few years as he continues to mature.