4.0 out of 5 stars A great debut
Published on 22 Jan 2012 by Elpenor

3.0 out of 5 stars Too fast?
I FEEL that this is a very well recorded album. BG has a simply unbelievable technique and on some future album we will be able to enjoy it, but for me anyway, not this time. I blind tested it on a VERY discerning friend and he felt the same way.

Examples: Scherzo 1 (a fast piece) BG 8'18: Ashkenazy 9'51; Le Gibet (a slow piece) BG 5'30: Roget 6'37. I better...
Published 20 months ago by R. T.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A great debut, 22 Jan 2012
You'd expect a highly-publicised former 'child prodigy' pianist to take the world by storm with his playing, but Grosvenor's pianism is far too interesting to focus solely on pyrotechnics. Indeed, it could almost be described as stealthy, the way he focuses on clarity and inner lines in Chopin's Scherzos when other pianists are more intent on barnstorming virtuosity. My first reaction was that the Scherzos were played too tamely, but Grosvenor's playing soon won me over. What he has achieved is phenomenal, especially for a young musician: the pieces come across with such freshness that I felt like I was discovering every detail anew, yet there is no hint that Grosvenor was being 'different' or eccentric just for the sake of it.

Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit is characterised by a similar Classical feeling for lightness, grace and clarity - it takes you by stealth rather than by storm. Having grown up with Argerich's demonic recording, I like my Gaspard more volatile, so I'm still not totally used to Grosvenor, whose temperament here is essentially Argerich's polar opposite. If I had one complaint about Grosvenor's debut, it's that it's perhaps a bit too mature or 'sane' - but, given that we're looking at a young pianist making his first big recording, that can't altogether be a bad thing, especially since his playing is consistently fresh and interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spendid !, 5 May 2012
FRANZ1828 (Paris France) - See all my reviews
My english is very poor, but i can say Mr Grosvenor's talent is as Horowitz or Argerich one at theirs debuts! A real great coloutist in Ravel,fantastic as E.A POE novels....Chopin's scherzos are visionary,the Nocturnes are singing as Bellini !!! This Cd is a dream !
Very good sound !

5.0 out of 5 stars Most notable debut since Argerich?, 3 Sep 2011
This review is from: Benjamin Grosvenor: Chopin, Liszt, Ravel (MP3 Download)
I think this must be the most notable recorded debut for a major label since Martha Argerich's debut record. Grosvenor's technique is formidable but built into his playing is an extraordinary delicacy and tone colouring. he can certainly play the notes to match any rival but it is the sheer musicality of the playing that sets this disc apart. You can just listen to it again and again. I just hope that the critics, having hyped up Grosvenor, will resist their usual negative sniping as he matures as an artist. This is one very special pianist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning achievement, 27 July 2011
I enthusiastically second all the prior 3 reviews here, as well as Mark Ainley's blog review. Here in the USA , Grosvenor has appeared live a few times , each time to great acclaim. I eagerly await his next appearances here, where his "This and That" cd and live broadcasts have given him a large following. The Decca cd evidences the maturity,individual sound, and original conception one associates with a great artist. All the playing is exemplary, the Chopin 3rd Scherzo and "Maiden's Wish" nigh definitive, "Gaspard" stunning. Whatever other recordings of these works you have, you will gain new insights from Grosvenor . His is a career to follow, no better place to start than this Decca cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely spellbinding, 19 July 2011
Bought this recording straight after we'd seen Benjamin playing Liszt at the Proms and are bowled over by his interpretation, musicality and maturity. We know most of the Chopin pieces well but this is like hearing them for the first time. The soulfulness in his playing is astonishing for one so young; in particular the light passages in the Chopin Nocturnes have a finesse and lyricism that is astonishing. An absoutely A1 recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly inspired, 10 Dec 2012
Michael James (DORCHESTER, Dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
His fantastic pianism enables him to reveal more of the real scherzo aspect of the four scherzos than any of the other recordings I have. As for the performance of Gaspard, it is certainly up with the best that I have heard, and probably better than any. More please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Benjamin Grosvenor, one of my favourite cds., 18 Jan 2013
The Ravel sends shivers down my spine. The Chopin has the most beautiful lucid lines and the Liszt is a dream. I play this cd over and over it is so lovely

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say?, 12 Jan 2013
If he can play like this when he is only 20, I can only wonder what he will play like when he is 40. I can only hope that he does not burn himself out early. Any one who enjoys this kind of music should buy it if they have not already done so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Benjamin Grosvenor plays Chopin, Liszt and Ravel, 24 Dec 2012
I chose this after hearing a review and listening to the music on the radio. I love classical music particularly piano playing. I would recommend it to all classical music lovers

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 22 Aug 2013
Really interesting playing, the Ravel in particular is gorgeous. He has such a virtuosic, light and subtle touch. I haven't heard anything that captures my imagination this way in a long time.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›